Interview Day Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaapstadMK

No turning back now - Too much debt
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you traveled to interviews with your spouse/SO and kids?

If you did, did you go to the dinner the night before alone, with your spouse? What's the etiquette with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I did in a few instances, and for reasons. I believe I did this at programs that said +1 was OK. I think some of them indicated that they would not be able to cover food/drinks for the plus 1.

I might have asked if it was OK for my SO to attend and pay for themselves, and I'm sure the way I worded it was compelling enough.

Something along the lines that my long distance partner was going to be in the area at the same time job interviewing and house hunting, because we were that committed to settling down in that area for both our careers, and that he would appreciate a chance to meet my potential future colleagues. That I also understood if they thought it best I come alone.

A lot of programs will also allow the residents to bring someone as well. It really depends on the details and vibe you get from how each program does their dinner. Some just sort of have a casual drop in happy hour night at a bar where anyone can come, vs others that have some fancy RSVP thing with dinner choices made ahead of time. That can be a heads up if you think you can ask without coming off wrong.

I remember working on this little explanation more to make it sound prettier and I didn't really try to do this except where it applied, as mentioned. I got mostly positive responses to this, IIRC. IIRC one place took a pass on it, but didn't seem offended I asked given why I asked.

Reactions: 1 user
Certainly if the program says you can bring your spouse/SO, feel free. I would not bring kids, obviously.

Remember if you bring your SO, they will be a reflection on you. I've heard SOs make comments about not wanting to be in this location or various other things that served as a bit of a red flag. More commonly however, I've seen SOs just be incredibly bored at the dinners with everyone talking about the program and medicine in general. Keep in mind that it's going to vary by program as to whether residents bring their SOs and how many actually show up. The SO tagalongs who seemed to blend right in were usually those who were also med students or in a medical-type field.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you traveled to interviews with your spouse/SO and kids?

If you did, did you go to the dinner the night before alone, with your spouse? What's the etiquette with this?

Brought my wife to me on one interview trip. I just asked ahead politely if spouses were welcome at the dinner.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t see any spouses or significant others at any of my interview dinners last year (IM). I don’t think it’s very common.

I didn’t see any spouses or significant others at any of my interview dinners last year (IM). I don’t think it’s very common.

I will add as an addendum to mine: the dinner where I brought my spouse was at a program I’d auditioned at, so it was more of a reunion dinner than a pre-interview dinner.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the feedback. There's definitely some good insight to be had here