Interview days: what they say vs what they mean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so now that the season is nearing the end and everyone's been through a handful, I thought it'd be fun to hash over the hot topics from the interview trail. Please offer your own!


On Program Size:

Small Programs
What the residents say: "You get to know each other really well, you'll never get lost in the shuffle"
What they mean: "Be prepared to have everyone in the entire hospital, including the program director, the department chair, the emeritus professors, the kitchen staff and the patients/parents who are frequent flyers know all the gaudy details of your most recent weekend"

Large Programs
What the residents say: "There are enough people to go around so that if someone gets sick or has a baby, you won't get screwed having to pick up their work."
What they mean: "It's pretty likely that someone in your intern class will have a baby and you won't even realize until your PL-3 year at the end of year banquet...at which point you'll finally understand that the reason that person always seemed mad at you was because you never got them a baby shower gift"



On the cost of living:

What they say: "It's really cheap to live here, most of the residents bought houses"
What they mean: "We're all just hedging our bets that in three years the housing market will have recovered"

What they say: "It's totally affordable to live here"
What they mean: "Have you ever lived in Chicago or NYC? Compared to those places, it's cheap...oh you lived in Pig's Knuckle, South Dakota most recently, that might a little bit different"

On the role of fellows at their institution:

What they say: "I've never had a fellow steal a procedure from me"
What they mean: "Well, usually, I never tell the fellow that there's a patient here that might need their attention, and more importantly, I get one of the other interns to page the fellow to some distant sub-basement, and once I started doing that, no stolen procedures."

OR

"This place is so busy that the fellow is off doing 4 or 5 other procedures while I struggle through mine with no assistance or backup."