Interview dinner on halloween

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jm192

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scheduled an interview and then realized the dinner would fall on Halloween.

Is this common? Will the residents hate me? Should I move it?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks in advance

You are probably the only applicant to accept that date. I'd imagine the residents would be exceptionally angry at dinner, especially if you don't wear a costume.

Thanks in advance

It's going to be common for any programs who are interviewing on November 1st. It's just the way the date fell on the calendar. Residents will not hate you. It might even be a more-fun-than-usual resident dinner.

Thanks in advance

These dinners are usually done by 9pm or so. If the residents aren't going to a halloween party afterwards, then that might tell you something about the culture of the program.

Sounds like it might be a fun dinner! I'm sure they will have candy for dessert :p

Thanks in advance

No they won't. Besides, the residents might be too tired to do much other than attend a party for an hour or two with a random costume put together at the last minute :p

Regardless, they won't be grumpy and think "Ugh I got to waste my Halloween to have dinner with this snot face!". Just like any other day, they'll be themselves.

These dinners are usually done by 9pm or so. If the residents aren't going to a halloween party afterwards, then that might tell you something about the culture of the program.

If there IS one, I feel like I would have little-to-no time to even think about making it.

Got to be up at 4:30 the morning of November 1st and on a rotation with long hours this month :/

I could make it, not sleep, and be a zombie to not notice my attending chewing me out the next day for not doing work. :smuggrin:

The residents who CAN make an 80 hour week & Halloween parties work need to tell me all their secrets PRONTO :O

If there IS one, I feel like I would have little-to-no time to even think about making it.

Got to be up at 4:30 the morning of November 1st and on a rotation with long hours this month :/

I could make it, not sleep, and be a zombie to not notice my attending chewing me out the next day for not doing work. :smuggrin:

The residents who CAN make an 80 hour week & Halloween parties work need to tell me all their secrets PRONTO :O

Oh we had one every year... one of the attendings would throw a big halloween party. If you were working the overnight shift, sucks to be you. But otherwise most everyone else went. Sure, the morning crew was a bit red-eyed the next day but so it goes.

And the attendings didn't chew out the morning crew for being tired because they were out late at the same place. Gotta love working in the ED.

Oh we had one every year... one of the attendings would throw a big halloween party. If you were working the overnight shift, sucks to be you. But otherwise most everyone else went. Sure, the morning crew was a bit red-eyed the next day but so it goes.

And the attendings didn't chew out the morning crew for being tired because they were out late at the same place. Gotta love working in the ED.

Nice, ED docs do seem to be laid back from what I've seen/experienced. I start a new rotation the day after halloween with a service that is notorious for yelling at residents who are late and who haven't rounded on the patients/wrote notes on time. Guess I drew the short stick on intern scheduling(amongst other reason) haha.