Interview dos and don'ts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florida_Future_DVM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With many of us interviewing in the next month (myself included) I wanted to get some general veterinary interview advice from those who have been accepted/had file reviews. I know there are questions on this site, but there's so much more to an interview than just knowing some questions. So what are some dos and don'ts to succeeding in a veterinary interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Be honest. Be yourself. Don't try to guess what "perfect" answer they want for a question, just answer it to the best of your ability. For behavioral interviews, follow the STAR method for your answer - situation, task, action, result. It makes your answer as complete and detailed as possible. Don't be afraid to take a moment to think of how you want to phrase your answer, even if the silence feels like it's taking forever. Have questions prepared that show your genuine interest in the school (and that you've researched it).

Practice beforehand for behavioral interviews. You don't need to have a specific answer that matches every specific question you can find on the internet, but have some life events in mind that were particularly influential for you and that you can draw from in different situations.

Thank your interviewers.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't kill interviewers and don't act like the dictator of a small country
But what if you are the dictator of a small country?!

Some of the biggest advice I can give is be confident but don't be obnoxious. They will understand that you are nervous and give you leeway accordingly in that regard. If you do not know, say you don't know, they would rather you bs honest than try and be something. Know your experiences. That's the focus of a lot of your interviews is finding more about the ins and outs of the interviews. (In non behavioral, non-MMI).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I agree with STL, especially with "don't be obnoxious." Someone once asked me (when I was a tour guide) "why should I pick your school over X, Y, or Z?"

Personally, I found that off-putting. Kinda a snobby "I'm not sure your school is good enough for me." I kinda wanted to say "pick us over them? you'd be LUCKY to get accepted here." Remember that the people working and attending wherever you are interviewing probably love their school. Even though on the surface the question seems really fair - a way of saying "hey, what are your school's strengths" - it could come off wrong and make you sound pretty arrogant. Not that you shouldn't ask about a school's strengths - but be smart how you ask. And act confident, but don't ever go over the line and give someone the impression you think you automatically deserve an offer. You don't.

Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" if somehow you get asked some 'fact' kind of question.

For behavior questions - find an answer that <actually> fits the question, because their whole goal is to evaluate you for certain behavioral characteristics and each question has a specific characteristic in mind. Giving them some super impressive story in your background that doesn't actually address the question .... doesn't help you. Don't hesitate to use non-veterinary answers for behavioral questions. 90% of my answers were drawn from my family or (non-veterinary) work background. If they ask you a question about conflict resolution and you say "I can't think of a good example, but look - I built the Taj Mahal and it's pretty cool!" ... well, great, but you just blew that question.

Be genuine. Be open. Smile. Ask (legitimate) questions. It's good to be excited, just keep yourself controlled.

Same advice I've given for years now: To prepare for a behavior-type interview, two good things to do: 1) Go to wherever you relax best. Get in a nice, relaxed, contemplative, meditative state of mind - think back on your life chronologically. Things you've done. Relationships you've had. Conflict you've been in. Accomplishments. Just ... fire the neurons to bring them to mind. 2) Google 'behavioral interview questions' and find lists that include things like "Tell me about a time you were in conflict with a co-worker, and how you managed it," print out the list, and take a friend out to coffee and have them fire 10-15 of those questions at you. Answer them just like you're in an interview.

Reactions: 9 users
Seconding the advice to be yourself and to know your application.

Also: practice answering questions OUT LOUD - either to yourself in the car or with a friend, mentor or family member who can be trusted to give you solid feedback. You'd be surprised how easy it is to think of what you'd say and then when trying to put it into words sound bumbling or ramble-y.

Reactions: 1 users
Adding on to what everyone else has said... don't fidget too much. Don't forget to make eye contact, and smile. Don't give just "yes" or "no" answers if you can help it, but try not to ramble either. One of the associate deans at K-State told me the worst person she ever interviewed once put up her hand and said "don't interrupt me" to the interviewers, sooo... definitely don't do that lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Adding on to what everyone else has said... don't fidget too much. Don't forget to make eye contact, and smile. Don't give just "yes" or "no" answers if you can help it, but try not to ramble either. One of the associate deans at K-State told me the worst person she ever interviewed once put up her hand and said "don't interrupt me" to the interviewers, sooo... definitely don't do that lol.
See, this is definitely something the dictator of a small country would do. My facetious advice comes in handy more often than people think. ;)

Reactions: 10 users
I second the idea of having appropriate questions ready to go. I wrote mine on the application packet we were given so I wouldn't forget. I asked something as simple as if there is a dress code and what the daily schedule is like. # there is something unique about the school and you aren't 100% sure you understand it, ask.

Also don't feel that your interview outfit has to be super high end and expensive. If its professional and looks good, it doesn't matter if it was only $20.

When you're an actual dictator in a small country they probably won't make you interview for things. :p
Because the only thing that matters in choosing a school is ranking, I wanted to go to the #1 vet school in America and they made me interview.

I was thinking about bringing my resume and thesis for my interviews - but is it really necessarily? Also, how about bringing in a notepad to take notes during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about bringing my resume and thesis for my interviews - but is it really necessarily? Also, how about bringing in a notepad to take notes during the interview?
Depends on the interview type as well. I would bring nothing to MMIs. Open file interviews will probably tell you if they'd like you to bring things/if they'd mind you bringing something along.

Reactions: 1 user

If you have an open file interview, your interviewers will already have the information. If you have a closed file interview, your interviewers don't have that information for a reason.

As for a notepad, I think that would be school to school. I know for Illinois, we have an honor clause where we can't tell others what the interview questions are, so I don't think we were allowed a notepad.

Because the only thing that matters in choosing a school is ranking, I wanted to go to the #1 vet school in America and they made me interview.

A real dictator would just donate enough money for a new building that has their name on it in exchange for admittance.

Reactions: 5 users
Have some questions in mind for the interviewers. It shows you've actually thought about attending their school, and that you've taken the initiative to think about things to ask. You can ask general vet school questions, but make sure you've got one or two that are very specific for the school where you're interviewing.

Don't bull**** if you get a weird question you don't know. Just don't. It's awkward, we know you're doing it, and it reflects badly on you - we see enough students bull****ting when they don't know an answer in clinics that we can smell it a mile away. If you're stumped, say so, and then go into how you would go about finding said answer or what factors you would consider, etc.

E.g. when I interviewed way back when, one of the interviewers commented that I was a history minor. He then asked me if I recognized a particular inspirational quote from a famous person who I didn't recognize but probably should have. I didn't freak out and just sit there and go OH YEAH THAT PERSON BLAH BLAH. I went "No, I'm sorry, I haven't heard of him, but he sounds like an interesting person and I think that quote is pretty applicable."

Reactions: 4 users

What is appropriate to bring for the interview? For a woman is it okay to have a small purse with me? My pants don't really have much pockets and I will want to have my wallet and turned off phone with me.

What is appropriate to bring for the interview? For a woman is it okay to have a small purse with me? My pants don't really have much pockets and I will want to have my wallet and turned off phone with me.
At least at my interview we were not allowed to bring bags into the room. I had brought a small purse for the same things and they just had us put them in a locked and supervised room.

At least at my interview we were not allowed to bring bags into the room. I had brought a small purse for the same things and they just had us put them in a locked and supervised room.

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure it was acceptable to do so and would not mind having to put them in a locked room if that's is the case.

Don't try to impress your interviewers. It's very unlikely you've done anything professionally or academically that the folks with multiple advanced degrees and specialties interviewing you will be impressed by. You should feel free to mention your accomplishments when appropriate, but do so with plenty of humility.

Reactions: 2 users
This is probably a silly question, but I wanted some feedback. I have an interview tomorrow, is it okay t wear a nice chiffon shirt under my suit or should I go buy a collar button down?

This is probably a silly question, but I wanted some feedback. I have an interview tomorrow, is it okay t wear a nice chiffon shirt under my suit or should I go buy a collar button down?
A nice blouse is fine, a collar isn't necessary! As long as it's not low-cut or a super wild pattern, you're good.