Interview Experiences & Support Thread (APPIC 2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indiana_Jane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to be confused with the invite thread. Creating this as a place for questions, support & encouragement..... AND hopefully visits from our beloved @AuntSue

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for this!! Wondering how other people are finding the virtual interviews. I had 3 in a row the week before this past week and felt so incredibly drained and exhausted when they were over. And after this coming week, I have 3 more weeks of 3-4 back to back interviews each week and am panicking about how to keep the stamina/momentum going.

I truly appreciate SO MUCH the sites making such great efforts (at least from my personal experiences so far) to give us as much information/a feel for the internship programs as possible without being there. I was really worried about not being able to get a good feel for the sites without seeing them in person and I am not super concerned about that anymore. What I am more concerned about now is just how much is up in the air with the pandemic, and not knowing how similar our internship year will be to this year or if it will be more like a normal internship year-which makes me struggle with my rankings. Of course I know that the entire world is going through so much uncertainty and hardship and feel very lucky to have this be my biggest concern!

Would love to hear other people's thoughts/experiences as well. WE've got this!

and yes @AuntSue you are everything and I know we all hope to hear from you soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What really helped me was talking to the interns and preparing specific questions in advance

Thank you for making this! Would love to hear any unexpected or surprising questions any of you were asked in interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
thank you for creating this thread!
I’m curious what has been most helpful in preparing for interviews?

Mock interviews have really helped me a lot! Even though I am too scared to watch the recordings, I know how I interview and how to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a question at one site that was something like "tell me about a time when you were attracted to a client" or "have you ever been sexually attracted to a client" and I'll be honest, that really threw me off because I wasn't expecting a question like that. So there ya go, prepare for anything.

• Haha
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Sometimes earlier cohorts would send around questions asked of interviewees to help prepare in my program—do folks still do this?

I found it very helpful to have a list to prepre. Some of our more ambitious students even wrote down the site name and their questions that they could remember, and gave all of it to peers. “Zinger” questions were few and far between, but occasionally some sites will ask a weird question, like what symbol would you be, what is your favorite movie and why, what celebrity represents you, etc.

For me the things that have been most helpful are having bullet points prepared about why i am interested in the site, as well as several questions that I have for them. Additionally, having several cases ready to talk about (a case that went well, a case that was difficult, a case that involved diversity/identity/privilege). I've been asked about a difficult experience with a supervisor at basically every interview I think, so I would definitely have a good answer prepared for that. Aside from that, the questions have varied so much and there have been some that I never would have predicited or been able to prepare for so just being relaxed and calm enough to think clearly has been the most helpful for me! good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! The dumpster fire that is 2020 is almost over--YAY!

Question from an interview itinerary I just received. There is a 45min time allotted to produce a "writing sample." Any idea what to expect? For context, this is for a peds psych site (not a neuro track).

Hi everyone! The dumpster fire that is 2020 is almost over--YAY!

Question from an interview itinerary I just received. There is a 45min time allotted to produce a "writing sample." Any idea what to expect? For context, this is for a peds psych site (not a neuro track).
I did a writing sample for a site, although it wasn't a peds site. We were given a vignette and asked for diagnostic impressions, how we'd form rapport, and initial treatment recommendations. My best guess for a peds site is there would be some questions about parent/family involvement and ethical considerations... just a guess though! I have also heard that some sites provide test data with their vignettes.

I did a writing sample for a site, although it wasn't a peds site. We were given a vignette and asked for diagnostic impressions, how we'd form rapport, and initial treatment recommendations. My best guess for a peds site is there would be some questions about parent/family involvement and ethical considerations... just a guess though! I have also heard that some sites provide test data with their vignettes.

I’m almost positive @spacegiraffe and I have similar invites haha!

I had the same writing exercise mentioned above. I’d definitely plan for questions about different diagnosis, treatment recommendations, and diversity and cultural considerations.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had the same writing exercise mentioned above. I’d definitely plan for questions about different diagnosis, treatment recommendations, and diversity and cultural considerations.
Haha! For Atascadero? Maybe we'll "meet" at one of the open houses :)

Okay, cool. Thanks for the feedback! I had to do a lot of this for my oral comps, so I guess I pull out those study materials!

Specifically for forensic and correctional sites.
Other than answering vignette, what kind of questions should I expect?
Like should I be going through DSM-5 to see diagnostic categories for personality disorders and other disorders like psychosis?

Thank you for this!! Wondering how other people are finding the virtual interviews. I had 3 in a row the week before this past week and felt so incredibly drained and exhausted when they were over. And after this coming week, I have 3 more weeks of 3-4 back to back interviews each week and am panicking about how to keep the stamina/momentum going.

I truly appreciate SO MUCH the sites making such great efforts (at least from my personal experiences so far) to give us as much information/a feel for the internship programs as possible without being there. I was really worried about not being able to get a good feel for the sites without seeing them in person and I am not super concerned about that anymore. What I am more concerned about now is just how much is up in the air with the pandemic, and not knowing how similar our internship year will be to this year or if it will be more like a normal internship year-which makes me struggle with my rankings. Of course I know that the entire world is going through so much uncertainty and hardship and feel very lucky to have this be my biggest concern!

Would love to hear other people's thoughts/experiences as well. WE've got this!

and yes @AuntSue you are everything and I know we all hope to hear from you soon!

My interviews start next week, and I am sooo nervous for the Zoom aspect on top of everything else. In general, I find Zoom meetings so draining too!

• Care
Where can I find examples of vignettes to practice?

I had a question at one site that was something like "tell me about a time when you were attracted to a client" or "have you ever been sexually attracted to a client" and I'll be honest, that really threw me off because I wasn't expecting a question like that. So there ya go, prepare for anything.

I am guessing this sort of thing has been a problem in the past or it stemmed from a professional development seminar otherwise I cannot fathom why this would be asked. Also is there any answer expected other than 'no this has not happened'? I do not see how it could go well if an applicant said yes here.

I am guessing this sort of thing has been a problem in the past or it stemmed from a professional development seminar otherwise I cannot fathom why this would be asked. Also is there any answer expected other than 'no this has not happened'? I do not see how it could go well if an applicant said yes here.

Not a question we have asked, but I can see the point of the question. Inappropriate relationships with patients is generally the number one issue that prompts board complaints in many states, so it's not like this is a unicorn situation. Particularly if you do certain types of longer term therapy, it's an issue people should have at least considered intellectually to think about how they'd handle it in the therapy room as well as in supervision.

I see it as a good time to say "I haven't been in a situation like this but here is how I would handle it..." talk to my supervisor, terminate treatment with a warm hand off to another clinician, etc. I agree that at first glance this seems like a super inappropriate interview question but actually one of my current supervisors always has that conversation with supervisees about how to appropriately handle it, making sure we know that it's something we should feel comfortable bringing up. I was caught off guard the first time she brought it up in supervision because it wasn't even on my radar but even though I've never experienced it myself (being attracted to a client), I think it's proactive for her to bring it up.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh yay! I found this thread! Thank you so much for creating this thread @Indiana_Jane!

I hope everyone's interviews are going great! :)

Last edited:
You bet!! How is everyone doing? The Zoom fatigue is real!
Ugh, So true! I have never felt so drained after meetings on Zoom. Every time I log off of the interview, I feel that I can sleep for HOURS afterwards.

How do you all handle this? And how is everyone doing with self-care??

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So something that I didn’t expect is that I’ve liked a lot of my lower-ranked sites than I thought I would... anyone else experiencing this? Like on paper I thought I would like the “big” forensic sites more but I’ve had some really great conversations and vibes from more generalist consortiums and more awkward conversations with some of my initially top sites. Maybe just because I was more nervous for my top sites? What does it mean?!

Reactions: 7 users
Ugh, So true! I have never felt so drained after meetings on Zoom. Every time I log off of the interview, I feel that I can sleep for HOURS afterwards.

How do you all handle this? And how is everyone doing with self-care??
Same!! I’ve been taking a 30min power nap after my interviews :rofl:

Just bumping this since I saw someone ask about a space for applicants to chat post-interview!

Hi everyone! Hope people are de-briefing after all the interviews! I'm wondering if anyone besides me is struggling with the decision of whether or not to rank a site. I'm having a hard time deciding and would love to hear other people's thought processes/decision-making strategies for inspiration (beyond the "Did you like it?" of course.) I've been thinking about it like "If you rank them last and you get this site, would you be happy with that, or wish you'd gone to Phase II?" So far this strategy is just making my head hurt. Anyone else having this experience?

Hi everyone! Hope people are de-briefing after all the interviews! I'm wondering if anyone besides me is struggling with the decision of whether or not to rank a site. I'm having a hard time deciding and would love to hear other people's thought processes/decision-making strategies for inspiration (beyond the "Did you like it?" of course.) I've been thinking about it like "If you rank them last and you get this site, would you be happy with that, or wish you'd gone to Phase II?" So far this strategy is just making my head hurt. Anyone else having this experience?
I have been struggling with this too. There is one site that I had a horrible interview experience at and I was planning on not ranking until we got that match info email that strongly encouraged us to rank all of our sites. It's so hard to know what to do! sorry I don't have any words of wisdom but am definitely in the same boat.

• Care
I have two sites that I definitely am not ranking. Looking through past years’ threads, it seems like there are typically some good options in Phase II, and there are a couple of sites that I just know I would really not like. Statistically, it’s so likely we’ll match in our top 4 anyway... I know that’s not a for sure and depends on things like competitiveness of the site, but I am personally trying not to see Phase II as a bad thing.

I have two sites that I definitely am not ranking. Looking through past years’ threads, it seems like there are typically some good options in Phase II, and there are a couple of sites that I just know I would really not like. Statistically, it’s so likely we’ll match in our top 4 anyway... I know that’s not a for sure and depends on things like competitiveness of the site, but I am personally trying not to see Phase II as a bad thing.

I have one that I’ve considered not ranking, too, just by the extreme weirdness of the interview (that is dramatic; there are other factors, but it was odd). Here’s to hoping we do match to one of our top 4 sites!

I'm having a similar thought process. The way I'm approaching it is: would you rather go to this site? or roll the dice again? Phase II is scary because it's ambiguous, but it's historically had good options. There's one site that I interviewed at that had one major appeal to it for me, but then when I got to the interview, that appeal was clarified to be something less than ideal for me. With that in mind, I realized that if it came down to that site, I would rather take my chances finding a different site that could be a better fit for me. I don't want to shoehorn myself into contracting with a site if it's not actually where I want to be. Even if it's unlikely that I get matched with my last ranked choice, I'm taking each site I rank very seriously in case the worst happens and I don't get matched with one of my top choices. So if the idea of going somewhere fills me with dread, i know it's not for me. If it's only mild disappointment, but I can still find things to be excited about, I'll leave it on my ranked list.

Reactions: 6 users
I have been struggling with this too. There is one site that I had a horrible interview experience at and I was planning on not ranking until we got that match info email that strongly encouraged us to rank all of our sites. It's so hard to know what to do! sorry I don't have any words of wisdom but am definitely in the same boat.
I’ve gone back and forth too with a site I had decided not to rank. I do think it’s important to note that the email didn’t strongly encourage us to rank all sites we interviewed with, but all sites that we found acceptable and would attend if matched with. That’s an important distinction and one that’s hard to make when there are so many unknowns (not knowing where you’ll match, if there will be viable options in Phase II, etc). There are also distinctions between a site being “bad” versus not completely what we’re looking for. I wouldn’t rank a site I thought was bad, but I would rank a site that wasn’t 100% what I was looking for (compared to sites I’m ranking higher). I also have geographic restrictions because of family/personal reasons, so Phase II decreases the chance I’d find an acceptable site—I’ve already combed through and considered the sites within those areas and applied or didn’t apply to ones I found acceptable.

I don’t know how common it is for applicants to be matched with their bottom 1-3 sites, but I’d say it’s much less likely from what I remember of seeing stats somewhere. But still a possibility. It’s not something I’m concerned about.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone interview at Baylor TIRR or can speak to their reputation regarding training? They are a much newer internship program, and I had a difficult time gauging whether it is as solid as it sounds. Intern had an evaluative role on candidates and was a bit reserved in sharing their experiences during QA..

Hello! I am curious, has anyone sent questions to a TD (after being invited to do so) and has not received a reply? I am having this experience at one of my site and am not sure what to think of it.

Hello! I am curious, has anyone sent questions to a TD (after being invited to do so) and has not received a reply? I am having this experience at one of my site and am not sure what to think of it.
TDs often hold multiple roles at their site and may not have enough time built into their full work schedules to tend to everything involved with interviews, managing stuff for the current intern cohort, and whatever else they do at their site.

If it's only been a couple of days, I'd hold tight a little longer because they may be behind but mean to answer. If it's been over a week or much longer, you could certainly send a kind and brief reminder inquiry.

TDs often hold multiple roles at their site and may not have enough time built into their full work schedules to tend to everything involved with interviews, managing stuff for the current intern cohort, and whatever else they do at their site.

If it's only been a couple of days, I'd hold tight a little longer because they may be behind but mean to answer. If it's been over a week or much longer, you could certainly send a kind and brief reminder inquiry.

Also, it's a holiday weekend, many people did not have work Monday, but the e-mails and other stuff usually still piles up on holidays, so they may be just catching up with everything from that as well.

I did and it took them a couple weeks to reply (plus it was over the holidays). They're super busy so I wouldn't think anyway about it, hopefully they'll reach out soon!

Anyone interview at Baylor TIRR or can speak to their reputation regarding training? They are a much newer internship program, and I had a difficult time gauging whether it is as solid as it sounds. Intern had an evaluative role on candidates and was a bit reserved in sharing their experiences during QA..
I'm so glad to know that I wasn't the only one that felt this way! I interviewed with Baylor TIRR as well and have similar questions.

I agree, it definitely felt like the intern was being tight lipped about her experience. She said it was "great" but it was one of the less enthusiastic praise I've heard from an intern in my interviews. It was also very odd to have her be part of one of the formal evaluative interviews as well as the Trainee Q&A portion where interns are typically encouraged to be "transparent and candid" in their descriptions and opinions of the training (maybe this is why she came off as tight lipped?).

I also had questions about the neuro training - the interview seemed to be geared more toward rehab psych which is fine but it almost seemed like neuropsych was a secondary/supplemental experience that wasn't as important or highlighted. It's also difficult to assess the quality of neuropsych training since the track is only 4 years old.

Overall, I thought the individual interviews were great and all the licensed supervisors seemed like they would be great to work with. I don't know why the portions with the current trainees threw me off so much and made me question the great vibes I got from the supervisors. It was definitely the most perplexing and conflicted I've felt about an interview.

If anyone has any insight or information they wouldn't mind sharing regarding the quality of neuro training and/or the level of enjoyment of the overall training experience, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm so glad to know that I wasn't the only one that felt this way! I interviewed with Baylor TIRR as well and have similar questions.

I agree, it definitely felt like the intern was being tight lipped about her experience. She said it was "great" but it was one of the less enthusiastic praise I've heard from an intern in my interviews. It was also very odd to have her be part of one of the formal evaluative interviews as well as the Trainee Q&A portion where interns are typically encouraged to be "transparent and candid" in their descriptions and opinions of the training (maybe this is why she came off as tight lipped?).

I also had questions about the neuro training - the interview seemed to be geared more toward rehab psych which is fine but it almost seemed like neuropsych was a secondary/supplemental experience that wasn't as important or highlighted. It's also difficult to assess the quality of neuropsych training since the track is only 4 years old.

Overall, I thought the individual interviews were great and all the licensed supervisors seemed like they would be great to work with. I don't know why the portions with the current trainees threw me off so much and made me question the great vibes I got from the supervisors. It was definitely the most perplexing and conflicted I've felt about an interview.

If anyone has any insight or information they wouldn't mind sharing regarding the quality of neuro training and/or the level of enjoyment of the overall training experience, that would be greatly appreciated!

Every site I've been at has included interns and postdocs in the formal interview process in some way, not that unusual.

As for neuro training, I have been affiliated with BCM before (not this internship) and I can say that the Houston area is probably one of the top 3 sites to train for neuro IME. If you are also thinking about postdoc in the area, which I would recommend for most neuro people, it can be a very good idea to look at networking. I don't know about this specific internship as its been built up over the years since I've been there, but BCM and TIRR are very well regarded generally in terms of reputation.

Every site I've been at has included interns and postdocs in the formal interview process in some way, not that unusual.

As for neuro training, I have been affiliated with BCM before (not this internship) and I can say that the Houston area is probably one of the top 3 sites to train for neuro IME. If you are also thinking about postdoc in the area, which I would recommend for most neuro people, it can be a very good idea to look at networking. I don't know about this specific internship as its been built up over the years since I've been there, but BCM and TIRR are very well regarded generally in terms of reputation.
Very helpful, thank you! That was certainly the impression left by the staff.

Top 3...what are the other 2?

Top 3...what are the other 2?

Shifts around a bit as people move, get poached. There are always very good individual placements with very good supervisors, but I'd consider the top geographic locations to be areas with a high relative concentration of solid training sites and board certified individuals. Milwaukee used to be an overlooked hotspot before some key retirements and some people getting poached by some prestigious institutions. Still a decent place for neuro, but I'd say the Twin Cities and Chicagoland are the places to be in the Midwest for Neuro. Florida has been on the rise (Mayo, Tampa VA). Oklahoma has always been strong, but a little smaller. Also, these are mostly for adult, I am not as in tune with the peds neuro world.

Hi! One way making the decision to rank a site has been framed to me is - "would you rather go to the site for intern year, or would you rather stay in your program another year and redo the application and interview process again in the fall?" I believe the reasoning is that there are no guarantees in Phase I, II, or the post-match vacancy service. Of course, want to take fit and training goals into consideration; my impression has been that if you can make it work and get needs met at the site, it's a good idea to rank it.
Am also feeling a similar struggle with the ranking decision process. Hope this is helpful.

Every year some folks agonize over the rankings. Some folks consider training and location, some folks consider the interview and how it felt as well. My cohort applied during the internship shortage, and after thinking carefully about sites, some of us (who were well-prepared) matched at lower ranking sites than we expected, so I realized at that time that the ranking process didn’t matter as much as we thought it did.

Not sure if that was a fluke and things have changed since then now that there are more sites available, but point being—-no need to pour too much energy into it. It’s just a year and while it’s ideal to have your first choice, you have no idea how you’ll be ranked and where you’ll end up.

I’d suggest just deciding on a formula (which factor matters most—training experience, geography, or interview impression) and going with it. And then relax and step away from the process—you need a break!

Speaking only for myself regarding ranking, I was already happy with the location of everywhere I applied so that is no longer something I need to consider after interviews. I also applied to sites that had the training opportunities I want, so really the interview is largely to confirm what remains available as we know things can change (e.g., COVID, funding) given the weirdness of this season. When considering training and how the interview feels overall I have decided to prioritize training. I refuse to rank anywhere that cannot meet my training goals, even if that means going on to Phase II, Post Match, or re-applying next year. My training goals are not unreasonable (and yes I confirmed this with my network and supervisors) and it makes zero sense to waste a year going to a site that won't be a growth opportunity.

Thank you so much for the response and the helpful information!

I’ve never had interns part of the formal interview process. The sites I chose were explicit about that and encouraged us to speak freely to them. There was one site where it felt evaluative but that could’ve been a personality difference between myself and the 2 interns I spoke to. I’d be put off by a site that had interns formally evaluate/interview us—that leaves zero outlet to get honest perspectives about the experience.

Echoing others, it’s important to ask whether you’d go to a site or apply all over again this fall. But, we should be honest with ourselves about what factors are actually important that would make us consider applying again and what’s more of a superficial inconvenience that we could deal with for 1 year.

Watching YouTube videos on “how to answer...” certain questions was very helpful to me. Recruiters talk about the best ways to answer “tell me about yourself, what’s your greatest weakness, where do you wanna be in 5 years...” things like that. Knowing what to focus on helped me to be more prepared and tailor my answers to each site. Making bullet points about points I wanted to hit were also helpful. And rehearsing in my head about a conflict with supervisors, what I am looking to get out of internship, what supervision style works for me, a positive and negative case, and cultural considerations helped me too. I was not caught off guard in any of my interviews and felt very prepared and confident. If they had the same impression I have no idea!!! 😂