Interview Experiences & Support Thread (APPIC 2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Hope people are de-briefing after all the interviews! I'm wondering if anyone besides me is struggling with the decision of whether or not to rank a site. I'm having a hard time deciding and would love to hear other people's thought processes/decision-making strategies for inspiration (beyond the "Did you like it?" of course.) I've been thinking about it like "If you rank them last and you get this site, would you be happy with that, or wish you'd gone to Phase II?" So far this strategy is just making my head hurt. Anyone else having this experience?
I actually had this conversation today with my supervisor. I absolutely hated one of my sites and was pondering whether risk going there just to graduate, or wait for better sites at phase 2 if it comes to it. She advised me to not rank them. Based on my background there is very little they could offer in terms of training, and I don’t see myself growing there. She said what others have already said: most people will rank to their top 3 choices, so if they are at the e d of the list it should not really impact results- but as we all know, the probability of not matching is higher this year than the past 3 years based on the number of applicants and number of available positions. So... I don’t think I will rank them. I will hope for the best, pray, and wait for the outcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've looked at the match statistics and see that most people rank to their top 3 choices, which is great. But can someone clarify how that usually ends up happening? Especially how 50% or so get their first choice? Given that the weighting is equal for both site and applicant?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I'm wondering if I could get some advice from you folks. Prior to this year's application cycle, I was hoping to move out of state to do my internship. Now, I am feeling pretty iffy about moving away from where I am located due to COVID concerns. Truth is, I didn't score a lot of interviews, but I do have a few sites in the region I live in, which wouldn't require me to move. However, those sites aren't as preferred as the other sites that are far from where I live (2000+ miles). Specifically, I would like to work at a site that does therapy and assessments. The sites near me do not offer assessment writing in their rotations. If I move away, the stipend barely covers cost of living/rent/gearing up for snowy conditions/etc. and I would simply be moving to a new state only do stay indoors and do telehealth all day. BUT, those sites are what I consider "perfect" in meeting my career interests.

I guess my question is, if I happen to get placed at a therapy-heavy site that does not offer an assessment rotation, would that jeopardize my chances of getting a postdoc position that does offer assessments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've looked at the match statistics and see that most people rank to their top 3 choices, which is great. But can someone clarify how that usually ends up happening? Especially how 50% or so get their first choice? Given that the weighting is equal for both site and applicant?
I'm not sure this answers your question or if this is the actual reason but one guess at a possibility is that most sites have a number of spots. There are way more spots than there are sites, so if a site has four spots and gets two of the interns ranked in their top four, half the interns there got their #1 pick. Not sure that is making as much sense types out as it does in my head.... trying to decide rankings is making my brain hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I'm wondering if I could get some advice from you folks. Prior to this year's application cycle, I was hoping to move out of state to do my internship. Now, I am feeling pretty iffy about moving away from where I am located due to COVID concerns. Truth is, I didn't score a lot of interviews, but I do have a few sites in the region I live in, which wouldn't require me to move. However, those sites aren't as preferred as the other sites that are far from where I live (2000+ miles). Specifically, I would like to work at a site that does therapy and assessments. The sites near me do not offer assessment writing in their rotations. If I move away, the stipend barely covers cost of living/rent/gearing up for snowy conditions/etc. and I would simply be moving to a new state only do stay indoors and do telehealth all day. BUT, those sites are what I consider "perfect" in meeting my career interests.

I guess my question is, if I happen to get placed at a therapy-heavy site that does not offer an assessment rotation, would that jeopardize my chances of getting a postdoc position that does offer assessments? Thanks!
I think if you want to go into neuropsych as opposed to just having some assessment hours (every internship site needs to offer at least some assessment opportunities), it would make a difference. But if you just want to learn more about assessment to add to your skill set, a therapy heavy site would not impact your future plans. You can always get a post doc that offers more assessment than therapy. I personally know people that have focused on therapy during internship; and ended up in an assessment heavy post doc. As long as you have some exposure and complete a few assessments you would be fine.

I think if you want to go into neuropsych as opposed to just having some assessment hours (every internship site needs to offer at least some assessment opportunities), it would make a difference. But if you just want to learn more about assessment to add to your skill set, a therapy heavy site would not impact your future plans. You can always get a post doc that offers more assessment than therapy. I personally know people that have focused on therapy during internship; and ended up in an assessment heavy post doc. As long as you have some exposure and complete a few assessments you would be fine.
Oh, okay. That makes sense. I'm aiming for a postdoc that offers a variety of assessment hours and therapy. Thank you for the reply!

Trying to make some final decisions about ranking. For neuro - how much impact (if any) does having an internship supervisor who is ABN vs. ABPP-CN matter? What impact would this have on neuro post-doc?

Trying to make some final decisions about ranking. For neuro - how much impact (if any) does having an internship supervisor who is ABN vs. ABPP-CN matter? What impact would this have on neuro post-doc?

May vary by site I would say having an ABBP boarded letter will definitely help. Definitely something we looked for in internship and postdoc apps. Even better if we know them personally.

I’m not sure how many non-interns are on this thread, but can anyone DM me if they have experience with Atascadero or Coalinga SH? Many thanks in advance.

I am wondering if anyone has feedback or updates regarding the UAB consortium's accreditation status? I understand previously they were on probation but on interview they mentioned they no longer are? I searched for their status on APA CoA and the only update is from Fall 2019 (the status of on probation). I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how this should play a role in rankings and perspective of the site? Thank you!

I am wondering if anyone has feedback or updates regarding the UAB consortium's accreditation status? I understand previously they were on probation but on interview they mentioned they no longer are? I searched for their status on APA CoA and the only update is from Fall 2019 (the status of on probation). I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how this should play a role in rankings and perspective of the site? Thank you!
I can confirm that UAB is back to regular “accredited” status. You can check it out for yourself using the APA accreditation search here: APA-Accredited Programs

I’ve been switching my top 2 rankings like every day, I really really cannot decide between them. One has training I like better but the other also has really good training and is in the state I hope to end up in long-term. They are both forensic state hospitals and I am hoping to do a formal forensic post doc (both sites also offer formal post docs). Anyone have any advice about how to ultimately pick a number one?

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve been switching my top 2 rankings like every day, I really really cannot decide between them. One has training I like better but the other also has really good training and is in the state I hope to end up in long-term. They are both forensic state hospitals and I am hoping to do a formal forensic post doc (both sites also offer formal post docs). Anyone have any advice about how to ultimately pick a number one?
I keep reminding myself that internship is ultimately one year and that it can be as much a stepping stone to our career as we make it. I’ve realized that setting myself up well for my desired futures (eg not moving any more, specific networking and training opps that would make me highly marketable when I enter my desired job market) is much more important to me than a really cool training year in itself.

Of course my satisfaction during the internship year is important but when the choices are among things that would generally satisfy (or dissatisfy) me equally, albeit differently, my potential futures win out.

There’s definitely many things to weigh, but at the end of the day, I’m really just hoping I match!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest thing that has helped me is reminding myself that there's not a "right choice" just a different choice. I can trip myself up by making myself believe that one choice is definitely better than the other and if I only just pick the right choice I'll have the best time and get the best post doc and make the best connections... but... that's nuts. There are a lot of good choices. I've looked at my list, left out any internships that I would dread ending up in, and reminded myself how lucky I am to be angsting over where I end up. If I wait for someone to tell me I 100% made the right choice, I'll never end up submitting my rank list. I can't tell you how to choose between these really great choices, but if every thing is about the same, you can let your gut decide, or you can play pin the tail on the internship, or you can flip a coin. It really depends on you and your personality. Just make sure you certify your list before Feb 5th lol

Things to consider between two top choices:

Stipend
Cost of living
Diversity of staff
Diversity of the area
Outdoor recreation opportunities
Access to your own medical/mental health in that area
Proximity to airports for travel (fingers crossed)
Challenge/rarity of opportunities
Where former interns have matched for postdoc
Have supervisors been recognized with awards/accolades
Size of cohort

I’d hesitate to assume that internship in the preferred state makes it more likely you’ll land there, especially with a speciality requiring postdoc. See how many interns are retained for postdoc at the same site, how many employees are former trainees, and where their postdocs trained for more accurate gauge of this.

Me too! What's everyone doing to keep busy and mentally well?

Keeping busy with a lot of netflix and walks when it's not toooooo cold outside. Keeping mentally well? N/A🌝

• Care
Accepting the fact that I'm just not gonna be super productive this week. Friday has pretty much fragged my concentration and focus.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Same here, focusing on what has to be done and then disappearing into a couple books to distract from reality. Just finished Ninth House and now reading Where the Crawdads Sing if anyone’s looking for recommendations ☺️

• Care
Same here, focusing on what has to be done and then disappearing into a couple books to distract from reality. Just finished Ninth House and now reading Where the Crawdads Sing if anyone’s looking for recommendations ☺️
I'm about to start reading that book too! :)

• Love