Interview FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorg1123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about interviews, think it would be helpful to get some advice from people who have been through this process before. So, if you fit into that category or have any advice or pitfalls to look out for please post on this thread. I have a few questions to get things started:

1. What questions were you asked that you were unprepared for and how did you answer them?

2. What quetions should we absolutely be prepared to answer?

3. Did anyone have an interview that they thought they had bombed, but was nonetheless offered admission?

Members don't see this ad.

1. What questions were you asked that you were unprepared for and how did you answer them?

I got a couple subjective ones...those were interesting.
What's your least favorite thing about the program?

What kind of research do you want to do? - sounds like a no-brainer, but so many people just dictate back to the interviewer his/her CV. talk about extensions of the research and new ideas that are related, but they want to see what you can add, not how well you can memorize their current research.

What made you apply to ____? - multifaceted answers are best. aka don't just talk about dr. x's research, but tie in other strong features, especially if they're not common to other programs

Last time around I was asked the same general questions as KRob. Most were about me personally (e.g., What do you do in your spare time? What made you choose psychology? What kind of books do you read?). Others asked if I was comfortable with math and how much I enjoyed it--came up quite a bit. Thankfully, I had a few years of calculus along with my stats to help me talk about my "love" for working problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to answer the question "do you have any questions for me?" Sometimes that question was the extent of the interview. The process is as much for you to find out about them.

Be prepared to answer the question "do you have any questions for me?" Sometimes that question was the extent of the interview. The process is as much for you to find out about them.

I agree! This seems to be a common question regardless of where or what you are interviewing for. No questions may equal a death sentence! So PREPARE prior to your interview . . . even if you do have fellow interviewees mock you for doing so.

3. Did anyone have an interview that they thought they had bombed, but was nonetheless offered admission?

1. Hmm. One thing that threw me off that absolutely shouldn't have was when a professor asked me what my hobbies are. It took me a second, since I was so used to answering research-related questions, and it probably looked bad, because what kind of idiot doesn't know what their hobbies are.

2. Definitely, as others said, your research interests. And don't just list them- be able to talk about them intelligently. Be prepared to ask lots of questions. If you meet with multiple professors, it's OK to ask the same questions over again (and it's good to have multiple perspectives anyway). Talk about your research/ clinical experience and how it shaped you into the stellar applicant that you are today.

3. I thought I bombed my interview with my now-advisor, but here I am.

If you get the chance, ask current grad students beforehand about different professors' interview styles. :luck:

With all this talk about interviews, think it would be helpful to get some advice from people who have been through this process before. So, if you fit into that category or have any advice or pitfalls to look out for please post on this thread. I have a few questions to get things started:

2. What questions should we absolutely be prepared to answer?

1. I was asked what was the last significant psychology book I had read other than a textbook and how it influenced me. This took me a minute. I was also asked in another interview how I had witnessed unethical behavior by a professor and what I had done about it. That one was really hard to come up with on the spur of the moment. I was asked many times what other schools I interviewed at and what specific reasons I had chosen that school

2. Questions about research interests, personal strengths, and unique life experiences.

3. I had 7 interviews, felt like a bombed a couple, but was offered admission to all 7 universities. The one I felt I bombed the worst I was offered a special scholarship that only one student was chosen for. Go figure? I ended up going to my first choice school which was a different school.

1. i think someone mentioned this in another thread, but i was also asked something like "if you had a grant for an unlimited amount of money and no time restraints, what would your study be?" i tried giving a general answer, but was interrupted with "but what would be your specific research question?" i still don't remember what i said, i blocked that interview from memory! i went on about 6 interviews and besides this one, none of them really felt like interviews. most were conversational and i felt like they just wanted to know more about me and my interests to assess how i would fit in with the lab

2. know how to intelligently talk about any previous research you've worked on, including how you ran statisitical analyses. also, be prepared to respond to, "so, tell me a little about yourself." when discussing your research interests, talk about it in a way that convices the professor that your research will complement or extend, not replicate, theirs. also, be able to answer "what makes you want to come here?"

3. yes... you are your harshest critic and remember that everyone else is just as nervous as you are and the interviewers expect you to be nervous. but if you're applying to a research-oriented program, don't talk about how much you want to be a therapist (obvious, but people still do it). and the part that most people bomb is not the interview itself. just keep in mind that people will be evaluating you the entire time, even when you're not technicially in the interview. be nice to everyone, don't be cutthroat, and don't get drunk. in the age of technology, make sure you don't have anything on the internet or on your myspace/facebook/livejournal that you wouldn't want anyone to see - i guarantee, someone will google you! ;)

I've googled myself, unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm not really notorious.

Crap, I have some removing to do...and not because of drinking. I have a conservative blog...or two, lol.

Dang not having the right passwords anymore...this may be bad.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks poorly of you b/c of your political views isn't worth working for/with.

I agree, but I still keep it pretty close to the vest just because I have always worried about that with things like recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor offered me a mock interview and it helped me soooo much. I did bomb the question "Explain a time in your life when you encountered an ethical dilemma and how did you react to it?", which he gave me some suggestions on how to handle it. Other than that, the questions I prepared I felt like I did reasonably well, although I feel like I still have some work to do before Friday.

I also was advised to be on guard all day--espeically since my interview day starts at 8 am and lasts until after 5 pm with a potluck dinner. I do not know how rare that is, but just be aware of the possibility.

I can't think of an ethical dilemma that I've faced....I know that’s ridiculous but I can't think of a single one. How could you answer that question if you don't have any dilemmas?

Yeah, that was my problem. I started going off on this random tangent that didn't even answer the question. My advisor that did the mock interview suggested to admit that you can't think of one, mention that you understand the importance of ethics, and ask them to give you a hypothetical scenario.

Yeah, that was my problem. I started going off on this random tangent that didn't even answer the question. My advisor that did the mock interview suggested to admit that you can't think of one, mention that you understand the importance of ethics, and ask them to give you a hypothetical scenario.

Thanks...that sounds like a good strategy.

How specific should I be about research interests during interviews? I know this topic has been covered to a certain extent for personal statements, but should research interests be more focused during interviews?

For my PS, I just put that I am interested in developmental psychopathology in high risk children, with a focus on the developmental consequences of adverse experiences and factors related to resilient functioning. Pretty vague, really...

I have been pursuing a line of research on child maltreatment in my current lab, and I wouldn't mind continuing with it, but I'm fine switching topics if it's a better fit with an advisor. The professor I'm talking to does maltreatment research, but I'm not sure it's his main focus anymore.

So should I specify more specific research interests and risk not matching with an advisor, or go with a vague response that may sound like I don't really know what I'm interested in?

I think it's actually a little naive to assume you know what you want to study for the rest of your life when you first enter graduate school. You have to follow the trends in the field (and the money, to a certain extent). I know quit a few research scientists whose current research is on a completely different topic than even their graduate dissertations, not to mention what they might have interested in when they first entered graduate school!

OK, I'm rambling now. Sorry! Any advice would be appreciated!

The less "vague" you can be, the better b/c mentors are looking to see whether your research will match well with theirs and their current grants/projects and whether data would be available to you in the first few years to write papers and do early research projectw PRIOR to figuring out what your diss would be. Mentors/advisors all differ with respect to how specific/ focused interests they are looking for in candidates based on their personal preferences, past experiences, etc. Some will want someone who can come in and carry out a specific project as the next step in the advisor's overall research plan while others are more interested in having a student who will write his or her own grant, do their own research right from the beginning, etc. There is no "set formula" b/c it truly is about the "match" not just between research interests but also as to how much autonomy/independence you will be afforded in the early years of a Ph.D. program.

How specific should I be about research interests during interviews? I know this topic has been covered to a certain extent for personal statements, but should research interests be more focused during interviews?

Does anyone have any insight on these questions?

Does anyone have any insight on these questions?

You should be able to speak intelligently about your interests and articulate why that topic interests you. While you're not expected to be an expert, you should sound like you have a good idea of some of the main issues in the literature. You should probably have a few tentative ideas for specific directions for your research. At the same time, you are not expected to have a plan for your disseration. You should communicate that you're flexible about researching other topics within the umbrella of your broad interests. It is OK to not know how your interests will develop over the years-- nobody really does. If you are too specific and inflexible about what you want to do, and the lab doesn't have space for it, the professor may decide that you are not a good match for the lab.

Bottom line: Be honest. The purpose of the interview is to ensure that you are a good match for the lab. They want you to be happy and productive in the lab, and if you discover 2 years from now that your interests aren't a good fit, it's bad news for all.

Does that help?

Thanks psychanon that's exactly what I was looking for.

another question:

I had what I thought was a very good phone interview with my favorite school, which also happens to be the only school from which I have recevied an interview. My professor said something along the lines of, "and I'm SURE you're having many interview invites in other places..." and I wasn't sure if I should have said something like, "nope, actually, you're it! Which is good, because this is where I want to go", which would imply that I have a lot of interest in his school, but also am apparently not that in demand (ha), or if I should have insinuated that I am being courted by other places to give myself a higher desirability profile (I am waiting to hear on 6 schools that no one else had heard back from , so it's not out of the question), OR if I should have remained basically silent and super smoothly and covertly changed the subject, which is what I did, haha.

SO when I go to my interview weekend, how do I approach this question? Just say, "you're it and here is where I want to go-- 12 others said no and you said yes!" (in so many words-- I will phrase is nicely, natch) or something else?

another question:

I had what I thought was a very good phone interview with my favorite school, which also happens to be the only school from which I have recevied an interview. My professor said something along the lines of, "and I'm SURE you're having many interview invites in other places..." and I wasn't sure if I should have said something like, "nope, actually, you're it! Which is good, because this is where I want to go", which would imply that I have a lot of interest in his school, but also am apparently not that in demand (ha), or if I should have insinuated that I am being courted by other places to give myself a higher desirability profile (I am waiting to hear on 6 schools that no one else had heard back from , so it's not out of the question), OR if I should have remained basically silent and super smoothly and covertly changed the subject, which is what I did, haha.

SO when I go to my interview weekend, how do I approach this question? Just say, "you're it and here is where I want to go-- 12 others said no and you said yes!" (in so many words-- I will phrase is nicely, natch) or something else?

You should say something that is somewhat vague like "I am pleased with the response to my applications." Absolutely, do not let them think they are the only place that offered you an interview. You don't want to come off as arrogant either.

that's a good line. Thanks. I also know my prof has expressed sadness in the past as he has lost many potential students to a certain similiar program in california (neuropsych and schizophrenia), but I didn't apply there. Should I let him know this to allay his fears?

One thing I am curious about is how many questions should the student ask during an interview? I have a few questions that I am curious about and I think would be good, but I don't know how many are expected? Also, would you ever take notes during an interview or is that just weird?

that's a good line. Thanks. I also know my prof has expressed sadness in the past as he has lost many potential students to a certain similiar program in california (neuropsych and schizophrenia), but I didn't apply there. Should I let him know this to allay his fears?

Don't let that concern you. It is not your job to soothe his fears. You have enough on your plate.

I definitely scribbled down notes as we were speaking on the phone, but didn't make it obvious that I was doing so. Basically I wanted to write down important info to research before the face-to-face meeting so I could be ultra prepared. I personally would not take notes during the face to face because I think it would hurt the flow of the interview. But perhaps others would disagree.

I asked probably 3 questions on the phone, about patient population, what his students have gone on to do, and details on his current and upcoming studies. I will have a lot more questions, probably 5 or so, prepared for the actual interview there.

One thing I am curious about is how many questions should the student ask during an interview? I have a few questions that I am curious about and I think would be good, but I don't know how many are expected? Also, would you ever take notes during an interview or is that just weird?

Asking questions is great since since you shows how you think, that you are inquisitive, and it can also buffer the power differential that is inherent in an interview. Assuming the questions are good of course. I would not commit to a specific number, but definitely avoid being perceived as a pain in th a**. Use your clinical skills to read nonverbal behavior.

1- When someone comments that you must have lots of interviews or invites, the best way to respond is with a positive statement about their program- "Well, I am most interested in U of X" or "I am very excited about your program and am looking forward to interviewing".. etc. It's not a good idea to say how many other invites you have- whether it is zero or 5 at this point- what profs are most interested in is how much you are interested in THEIR program and how likely it is you actually WANT to go there. Also- it is a small research community within areas of interest. If you make it sound like you are interviewing somewhere else, there's nothing to stop one prof from emailing the other - because often times they know each other - to find out what that prof thought of you, are they going to make an offer, etc.

2. Don't take notes during an interview but you should jot down notes in between/ after the interviews with the info you got, your impressions, and any questions that you might be thinking of. Not only does that help you later when you are making decisions, but it also keeps you busy in between interviews and gives the impression that you are taking this process seriously and thoughtfully and are interested in that program.

3. Always have some questions prepared to ask - but don't just ask questions for the sake of asking questions. Think about what questions that would be important to ask and what you want to know in determining if this is a good match. Discussing research ideas is always good, but you may have questions more about the overall way in which the advisor mentors his/her grad students- what is their style, what have they found works best, etc.

Wow, phenomenally helpful thread... thanks everyone who has posted!

I disagree with the advice about not taking notes in the interview. If you can do it without interrupting the flow of the conversation, it's no big deal. Obviously, don't just scribble away the whole time, but if a prof is listing the four major projects that are underway in the lab and which of his/her graduate students are working on them, it's a good idea to have the information, and it shows that you care. You are not expected to have the memory of one of those super-waiters who takes an entire table's order without writing anything down (and then frequently screws it up, in my experience).

Along those same lines, I think it's acceptable to bring in a list of questions (discretely noted in your professional black leather folder, of course). I referenced written questions in a couple of interviews, especially early interviews when I was still a bit nervous. Better to whip out some relevant and intelligent questions than to make up a half-assed one on the spot. This worked for me.

One other general piece of advice. Try to act like you know that you belong there, that you are confident that you are a good candidate and that the question is more about fit, evaluated from both sides, than it is about the program judging your competence. Maturity and confidence go a long way, as long as it doesn't come off as arrogance.

Good luck.

The bottom line is that there are no hard and fast rules or formula for interviews (or applications for that matter) that will apply to *all* people, scenarios, and situations. It all depends on using one's good judgment and being thoughtful about whatever it is - taking notes, asking questions, etc. It also depends on how laid back or formal the interviewer is and this varies not just across site to to site but also interviewer to interviewer.

Along the same vein, confidence is self-assuredness is helpful too, but must be balanced with modesty or one will come across as seeming arrogant or "above" the interview process.
Good luck to everyone!!! Don't forget that some anxiety and nerves are expected by the person who is interviewing you! They know it is a stressful situation :D !!!

what do you say to that exactly? i was asked this question in job interviews and was never sure that they were after. "i am from alaska and i like to cook" is obviously not it, nor is "i graduated from the univerisity of arkansas in 2004" because they already know that nor is it "i want to study x,y, and z because it doesn't seem like the very first thing you should talk about.
so what do you say when the interviewer says "tell me a little about yourself."
???

It's okay to restate some of your basic info - don't assume the prof has it all memorized. Basic personal and educational info is totally fine. They really aren't expecting you to dazzle them with a crazy answer or random factoids about yourself. It's totally fine to answer "Well, I grew up in Xcity, where most of family still lives, and went to college at U of X, where I started working with Prof X and got interested in X..." It's actually a good opportunity to point out or remind them of something positive about your application/what makes you an attractive candidate. It is honestly better to simply answer matter-of-factly and smoothly rather than stuttering or getting all flustered whie trying to decide how to answer. If they want to know something more specific about your background, they will generally ask... "Oh, so how did you like living in Xcity? Why did you go to X for undergard?"

That's my two cents, but for that it's worth, I had to answer that question a million times when I went through the process and it worked just fine! :luck:

first impressions are very important. The prof that I wanted to work with said that he could tell after the first 2 minutes if he wanted to work with you by how you conveyed yourself when you first open your mouth. it's a little scary since those are the moments when you are most nervous, but with a little practice, it shouldn't be too hard.

How important is it being able to discuss a professor's past research. Meaning, bringing up questions you had about papers they had published? Should your focus instead be on the future research of the professor and then commenting on how you can relate to said research (perhaps provide insight from your own work). I'm confused as to which is a more appropriate topic.

Although it is good to show you are familiar with past research, keep in mind by the time a study actually gets published, it was probably at minimum about a year since it was submitted for review to the journal... and the data collected in the years preceding it. Asking about current projects and new projects - as they relate to the prof's past work - is a good idea. Of course, if you have a specific question/ idea that relates to their past work, ask away! But I don't think profs expect you to have their studies memorized - just to be familiar with what they are studying, what type of research they are doing, how your interests fit with that.

Also- if you are very interested in a previous study of theirs, it is always good to inquire as to whether data from that past project is available for secondary data analysis if you are interested in exploring a new question / relation among variables-

So what's a good answer if someone (maybe a grad student) asks you about a significant other & what their plans are if you are accepted at X school? I think the question is somewhat inappropriate but I can see where it would come up.

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now. Fortunately, he’s very supportive & is planning to move with me wherever I end up. He's a real estate investor & has the skills to get any finance related job...so he’s pretty flexible about where he can work. Basically we have discussed my school list & would be fine with any of them.

I would just explain something along those lines but I'm still afraid that people might worry that he will influence my decision or cause me to leave a program etc. How do I allay their concerns without sounding too defensive or like I'm out of touch with my bf's thoughts on the issue?

So what's a good answer if someone (maybe a grad student) asks you about a significant other & what their plans are if you are accepted at X school? I think the question is somewhat inappropriate but I can see where it would come up.

I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now. Fortunately, he's very supportive & is planning to move with me wherever I end up. He's a real estate investor & has the skills to get any finance related job...so he's pretty flexible about where he can work. Basically we have discussed my school list & would be fine with any of them.

I would just explain something along those lines but I'm still afraid that people might worry that he will influence my decision or cause me to leave a program etc. How do I allay their concerns without sounding too defensive or like I'm out of touch with my bf's thoughts on the issue?

I would just say that you've discussed it with him and he's happy to move with you. You might throw in something like he's visited the area and really likes it etc.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that they would make an issue out of it, because they can't expect you to devote your life only to academia and be single for 5 - 8 years (i.e. you are at a disadvantage for having a significant other because you might have to consider their plans too; the assumption should be that both of you can work that out between yourselves and it's not a professional reason not to take you). In any case, no one can predict what will happen - i.e. you might meet someone while on the program and end up leaving the program because they've decided to leave the area. I kind of think it's too hypothetical a situation for them to delve too deeply in it apart from asking 'are there any other factors involved in your decision to come to this school?'

Hey Psychxiety...

I'm in an almost identical situation (except my BF is in marketing). I think if they ask what your significant other plans on doing if/when you're accepted, they must be expecting a personal answer or explanation. I think professors understand that if you're interviewing, you're committed to the program, and they're probably just asking to confirm that you had thought about the subject.

Honesty is the best policy, IMHO. I plan on telling them the truth-that my BF and I have talked about it and he's prepared to commit to living wherever I decide to go. We talked about all of this before I even applied, and whether he would be able to get a job did have some minor bearing on where I decided to apply. You have to be practical...

Thanks for the responses guys. Its reassuring that you all think I can just be honest about it. Hopefully your right & it won't be a problem. I'm just pretty paranoid.

Alienarms...its nice to talk to someone in the same boat. I feel so lucky to have a bf who is flexible in these things. Long distance relationships are no fun. Business majors & psych students seem like odd matches but I guess in this situation it really works out well for us.

wanted to chime in-- I too have a long-term boyfriend (six years now!) and he's going to come with me wherever I end up. Obviously he is rooting for some places over others, but will move with me, especially seeing as we've lived together for the past 5 years.

I actually mentioned in one of my phone interviews if it would be appropriate for my BF to come with me to the interview, as he wants to check out the area, and the professor was very flattered that I was so seriously considering his school. (my BF actually decided not to come though this time-- he wants to save up so we can both visit another time when I won't have so many scheduled things).

Ha ha, yeah. It is nice to know I'm not alone...I feel bad for my BF sometimes, but he's also not totally happy at his current job, so if we have to move I think it would be a nice change for him. He may change jobs even if we stay where we are now (Boston area).

It was hard though, deciding where to apply. I didn't want to make it harder on him, so I had to cut out one or two schools that were in areas that he just wouldn't have found a good position. One of them would have been great for me, but you know...compromise!

We should organize a support group for our SOs...For People Who Love People Who Love Psychology.

LOL!

I don't think they'll be critical of you for this at all. Lots of people bring S.O.'s to grad school. My boyfriend came with me to grad school. If they're asking, they're probably honestly curious, and they may want to tell you something about the local job market.

You all should remember that the program isn't just interviewing you-- you're interviewing the program. If they invited you to the interview, they probably really like you and are going to do their best to convince you that their porgram is the best place for you. It's kind of like dating, in a way-- you're both getting to know each other, trying to figure out if you should inititiate a lasting relationship. :love:

Ugh, is everyone who is going to grad school in long-term relationships? I am a single guy and was hoping that I may have a chance of meeting someone in grad school, but it sounds like the chances of that may be slim :(

Ugh, is everyone who is going to grad school in long-term relationships? I am a single guy and was hoping that I may have a chance of meeting someone in grad school, but it sounds like the chances of that may be slim :(

:laugh: Try medical school--look for a significant other there. Besides, you might not want to be in a relationship with someone in the same area . . . it might get more than a bit frustrating at times. Or at least that's how you can rationalize socializing in the other grad departments instead of your own.

True. I actually get along best with psychology people though...lol, we will see. I just thought I would inject that for some humor.