Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPsyD917

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've heard it asked a few times if we could get the interview feedback feature on the Psych forum (like the med and pharmacy schools have), but nothing has ever come of it. So until something does, how about we post here? I think this would just be really helpful for all of us who are waiting to go to more interviews, and also those who may be applying in years to come. Try to include some/most of the following:

1- Basic info: School, date of interview, type of interview (1:1, group, etc), degree (PsyD vs PhD)

2- How did it go? How do you rank this school compared to the others you applied to? How stressed out did you feel? How do you feel about the school afterward?

3- How did you prepare for the interview? What did you wear? Any tips for future interviewees?

4- How long was the interview? How were the interviewers? Do you remember any specific questions they asked you?

5- Travel info (how you got there, where you stayed, total cost, etc)

6- Other general comments

Members don't see this ad.

So I'll go ahead with what I've experienced...

Phillips Graduate Institute, Encino, CA
1- On Friday, 2/9. It was 2-1 (faculty to student), for a PsyD.

2- It went well, I was told by the interviewers that I was a strong candidate both in person and on paper which is always nice :). I was not at all stressed out. I applied to many PsyD programs in CA and I think this one is lower on my list simply b/c they don't have APA accreditation yet. I came out of the interview with a good feeling about the school, though.

3- Interview Prep: I read up on the school online, and read this forum... and practiced answering questions. I wore a skirtsuit, and the other interviewee I saw was wearing a nice skirt and a nice top, but not a suit. The only tip I have is practice your answers to questions so you know what you're talking about... they really tested me to see how I'd react to hard questions.

4- It took 45 min. The interviewers were nice but like I said, they tested you. They asked why this school, why psychology, why not a PhD or MFT, define professionalism, where do you see yourself in the field, what is a topic that has come up in at least 3 of your undergrad courses (HARDEST), and do you have questions for us.

5- I just drove there from my home in Santa Barbara.

6- Hmm... none :)

California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA

1- Monday, 2/19. It was a group interview (3 students, 2 faculty) for a PsyD.

2- They didn't do much to convince me to go to their school, but I still think it's one of the better schools I applied to. I wasn't too stressed before/during, but after I was because I wasn't sure I did really well.

3- Interview prep: read up about the program from the info I'd gotten from them, read up on SDN, searched (unsuccessfully) for group interview info... Again, wore a skirtsuit... most others wore suits also, though there were 2 who wore clothes that I wouldn't even recommend for a casual job interview so...
Tips: In a group interview, PLEASE DO NOT MONOPOLIZE THE CONVERSATION. No one likes it, not the others in your group nor the interviewers, so please make your answers concise. Be brief, not long-winded. Trust me it's better for EVERYONE this way.

4- It was supposed to take an hour, ours was more like 40 minutes. The interviewers were nice, but one of them seemed to get bored and stopped paying attention to our questions/answers :confused:. They asked why CIIS, what do you want to do in the future, what are your hobbies, what classes will you excel in/have trouble in, what are your strengths/weaknesses, and if we had any questions for them.

5- From Santa Barbara, a 5 hour drive each way, stayed at the Embassy Suites in South SF for $120... 15 min drive to CIIS.

6- It went ok, but it's so hard to tell in a group interview, and I didn't feel like I got to talk enough. I cannot stress enough, please be courteous when in a group interview situation and do not go on and on.

Well, I've heard it asked a few times if we could get the interview feedback feature on the Psych forum (like the med and pharmacy schools have), but nothing has ever come of it. So until something does, how about we post here? I think this would just be really helpful for all of us who are waiting to go to more interviews, and also those who may be applying in years to come. Try to include some/most of the following:

1- Basic info: School, date of interview, type of interview (1:1, group, etc), degree (PsyD vs PhD)
Vanderbilt (Peabody), 2/09/07, 1:1 w/4 profs, PhD

2- How did it go? How do you rank this school compared to the others you applied to? How stressed out did you feel? How do you feel about the school afterward?
Started out shakey (flight delayed until day of interview) but went very well. the interviews were more like chats. Obviously my #1 school since the POI is a great match. Vandy far exceeded my expectations, and the school was very cooperative, nurturing, and friendly

3- How did you prepare for the interview? What did you wear? Any tips for future interviewees?
Looked over bio (make sure that I didn't talk about anything that the profs. weren't doing. I wore a skirt suit. I would say bring comfortable shoes - the tour is 2 hrs long

4- How long was the interview? How were the interviewers? Do you remember any specific questions they asked you?
w/POI an hour, with all other profs 30mins from 10pm to about 2pm with another 2 hours tour. The interviewer each tackled a different aspect of the program (from research, required classes, practicum, etc so it was nice that none of my questions really overlapped each other. Basically what kind of POI do I feel comfortable with (someone who's laidback/hands off, or very involved), what is my research interest, what I want to do in the future.

5- Travel info (how you got there, where you stayed, total cost, etc)school paid for flight, i stayed with a current student which was great because I was able to get a feel for the area. there was a social gathering after the interviews where i got to interact with many of the current students and see how comfortable they were w/each other, how well they interacted/knew each other, etc. it was really nice. i didn't pay anything except money for the suit.

6- Other general comments