Interview for Medical Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RagOptUz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have an interview for a scribe position in a local Hospital coming up, and i thought id ask my fellow sdn'ers what they thought about the position.

I applied so long ago, that i totally forgot about the position, and thought they forgot about me, but i just got a call yesterday confirming an interview in a couple days. Im in my last year of UG and will be taking MCATS probably this summer. I dont have much ECs, i mean lots of ER volunteering and research positions but not much clinical. Im also short on money, :/ I just need a better reason to go after this position than money. They note on their site that some MD schools dont consider Medical scribes as being clinical experience, but im pretty sure once i get to know the doctors in this hospital i could probably get clinical experience over time, if im going to be there for more than a year.

What do you guys think about medical scribes??? Any old scribes out there??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I have an interview for a scribe position in a local Hospital coming up, and i thought id ask my fellow sdn'ers what they thought about the position.

I applied so long ago, that i totally forgot about the position, and thought they forgot about me, but i just got a call yesterday confirming an interview in a couple days. Im in my last year of UG and will be taking MCATS probably this summer. I dont have much ECs, i mean lots of ER volunteering and research positions but not much clinical. Im also short on money, :/ I just need a better reason to go after this position than money. They note on their site that some MD schools dont consider Medical scribes as being clinical experience, but im pretty sure once i get to know the doctors in this hospital i could probably get clinical experience over time, if im going to be there for more than a year.

What do you guys think about medical scribes??? Any old scribes out there??

Huh? Which ones? Scribing is an awesome clinical experience. No, you don't really get patient contact, but you have an awesome opportunity to see first-hand the medical decision making process and what goes on "behind the curtain." You probably had more "patient contact" as a ED volunteer than you will as a scribe, but the experiences are incomparable in terms of the knowledge and exposure you will gain as a scribe. It's also an awesome opportunity for LORs, and you'll have plenty of experience to talk about on the interview trail.

I will say this, though: scribing jobs tend to not pay very well. The company I work for pays a few bucks above minimum wage, and there are some nice differentials for nights, weekends, holidays, etc., but still....The problem is that it's such an awesome experience, neurotic premeds would do it for free. Ah well.

As will anything, YMMV. It is what you make it...you can be a scribe who really tries to figure out what individual docs like in their charts and anticipate them in that regard, or perhaps research a particular condition or presentation a little more so your notes sound more informed....or you can just scrape by. It's up to you. I've really enjoyed the experience, though, and would certainly recommend it.

So far I've been working as a scribe in the ER for about 6 months, so take this with a grain of salt I guess,

So far, its been an amazing experience. And you do get a considerable about of patient contact, you just can't really "do much" because you aren't a medical professional which is understandable. But basically its a phenomenal way to learn the terminology, some of the aspects of MDM, how physicians perform a good physician and take a good history. Depending on the company you work for, the pay will vary. I know that where I work we started at $8/hr during training and for the first 3 months overall and now I make $10/hr. Nothing to write home about, but more than the average college student I suppose. But as was mentioned, I would do this job for much less just for the experience.

If nothing else, you will get to know and talk to some doctors and PAs who can tell you a lot and teach you a lot. Granted not all of them are willing to teach, but there have been several doctors and especially PAs who let me watch all of the procedures they do and explain every decision they make and why they make it. Basically in a given 8-10 hour day depending on how busy it is and the provider you work with you see anywhere from 15-25 patients. (2/hr is usually the average I've noticed)

But anyway, I think it's one of the best ways to get clinical experience and even some LORs if you're there for a while and get to know some of the docs.

Hope this helped a little bit and I'm free to answer any more questions you have!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies :)
Just finished the interview, not as tough as i was expecting.

About the clinical experience part, they specifically repeat throughout the process that we're not allowed by law to make patient contact. And on there websites FAQs they say to double check if the schools accept scribing as a clinical experience. But as you said, im pretty sure ill be gaining a lot of experience, not to mention a strong LOR is a great side effect :)

They did mention that the pay is around what you guys said, not that its a big deal, but compared to other friends on campus, its great pay around here.

Does anyone have any tips for the interview?

I have an interview for a scribe position in a couple of days and I am FREAKING OUT! :scared: