Interview Help!!!....Tell me about yourself question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klampster23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, talk about things that you've been and done, and not about things that you dream or things that are goals. Think of this as "Where do you come from," but not necessarily in terms of geography. When you finish telling them who you are, you still leave room for them to ask who you want to become.

Hello,

When Texas Tech asked me this earlier this month, the question was worded by the interviewer as follows: "So <insert name>, please take a few minutes and tell us about yourself, about your hobbies interests, maybe what pushed you towards pharmacy?"

And I answered with telling them my full name, where I currently went to school. Then in order to make my answer less dull and a little more unique, I stated a personal motto I live by.

Then, I went on to say where I was born, lived, grew up, and along with that explained where my interest in science began and how it grew into an interest in pharmacy (and I didn't at any point give the cliche "I want to help people" nonsense, I gave them legitimate and honest reasons). I emphasized that I had had a wide variety of jobs (mostly retail) and some community involvement activities that allowed me to develop a number of skills that were salient to the pharmacy practice.

All in all, I probably took about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to answer this question and was sure to always look squarely into the eyes of the interviewers (of course). I was also concerned about giving them what might seem like a preconceived answer if I elaborated too much on my interest in pharmacy or community involvement activities. However, the interviewer did ask me to mention it somewhat, so I did. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I would most likely answer this question in the following way:

Where I was born/grew up, the family background I come from, where I graduated from, where my interest in pharmacy developed (if that was worded in the question) and then go into a little detail about the activities I enjoy in my spare time. I don't think I would want to go into the work experience I have in the field in case that popped up later in the interview.

Just tell them where you are from (the state) and what school you are currently attending and maybe what degree if you are working towards one, and where you are currently working. They introduced themselves first and then asked me to introduce myself and that was all I said!!

I've never tried this, but would it be acceptable to ask them if there are any areas/aspects about yourself they'd be particularly interested in? That way they can help you narrow your scope and hopefully give you a little better direction. I don't know how it would be looked upon to try to get them to help you. I don't know if would show a lack of creativity (laziness) or if it would be considered a more thoughtful approach.

how do you answer the "why pharmacy?" question without saying the standard "i want to help people"? i mean, i know why i want to be in pharmacy, but how do you convey that - without sounding cliche?

how do you answer the "why pharmacy?" question without saying the standard "i want to help people"? i mean, i know why i want to be in pharmacy, but how do you convey that - without sounding cliche?

Yeah...I need help with this one too. I can write an essay about it, but I can't talk about it in 2-3 sentences.

Yeah...I need help with this one too. I can write an essay about it, but I can't talk about it in 2-3 sentences.

I've seen it mentioned on here before, something along the lines of "If you want to help people, go join the peace corps! Spare me the 'I want to help people' nonsense."

In some ways, I have to agree. There are great reasons for joining pharmacy aside from the "cliche" - "I want to help people." Besides, that leaves you open for "attack" with questions of "why pharmacy instead of medical school then?"

I think it's imperative to mention other reasons such as interest in the science behind it (which you'd better have anyway!) and what traits of a good pharmacist's personality you feel that you possess and would allow you to succeed in the field. Sure I like to help people, but saying that results in a not-so-creative response. I'm not an expert on this, it's just what I said and did.

That's a good answer Zeke!!!

I don't like to say, "I like to help people". There are a lot of things we can do to help people. If I were an interviewer, I wouldn't buy that answer either, but at the same time, I don't think I would have time or the patience to sit and listen to someone read the essay to me. I need something short, impressive and meaningful and I think the traits to make a good pharmacist would be good to include to the answer.

I don't know what others are looking for, but when I ask that to this years applicant pool, I was hoping two things would happen.

1) That a meatball question would put them more at ease, because staying wound up generally leads to very boring interviews and at best a hold from me.

2) I want to know about the person sitting in front of me. What sort of interests, life experiences and stories brought them to sit in front of me. I don't care to know why pharmacy, although I do ask that, I derive why pharmacy from other questions. I want to know that the person is rounded, mature, stable and can handle the pressures of school without blowing a gasket. Sometimes that means you blow off a night of studying to drink beers and blow stuff up in game X (as one of the applicants said).

(note that I am a student, so I'm more interested in the social adjustment aspects and work habits; not the scholastic aptitude)