Interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancermp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my pcom interview today and I was hoping some of you could help me out. I was asked what I would do if I didn't get into med school this year. I'm wondering if they meant the question as a test to see how much I really want to go to med school, if I had said i wouldn't reapply they obviously shouldn't accept me. Or was it kind of a warning to prepare myself that they're not going to accept me. Has anyone had experience with this question? Specifically at pcom would be good, but any advice would be great.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I just had my pcom interview today and I was hoping some of you could help me out. I was asked what I would do if I didn't get into med school this year. I'm wondering if they meant the question as a test to see how much I really want to go to med school, if I had said i wouldn't reapply they obviously shouldn't accept me. Or was it kind of a warning to prepare myself that they're not going to accept me. Has anyone had experience with this question? Specifically at pcom would be good, but any advice would be great.

Thanks so much!

Chillax. :cool:

It's normal to second guess yourself after an interview. Just go do something relaxing until you hear from the school.

FWIW, that particular question is a common one. It is generally asked to probe you to learn more about your personality and interests. Do not read more into it. There's generally no right or wrong answer.

This is a very common interview question. Interviewers often ask whether you have a plan "B". They aren't saying they think you will never get into med school, but they do want to gauge your maturity level in whether you have thought about alternatives. Having an answer to this is good thing. Saying you would just keep reapplying is not what they're looking for. The best answer, is to say what you really would do if for some reason you could never become a physician. But don't think too much about it, interviews over so just relax!

The way I've answered that question best is "If for some reason I was unable to become a physician, I would most likely become ____, because ______." This covers the fact that you are not going to give up easily, but that you have also thought about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked what I would do if I didn't get into med school this year. I'm wondering if they meant the question as a test to see how much I really want to go to med school.

Agreed, there are a lot ways to interpret this question, and the truth is that it's probably a combination of everything that you think it is. However, I have been told that the #1 point of the interview is for them to get to know who you are in a way that may not be represented on paper. Therefore, I would answer with what I really plan to do, if not accepted.

My interviewer asked me this question. I said "Cry." That got a chuckle out of her.

But then I went on to explain that because I have been employed at a hospital for a number of years, I have seen ways that I can contribute to health care, outside of being a physician. (Most notably, Pharmacy, Physician Assistant, or Nuclear Medicine.) I went on to explain that working with these individuals, I got a sense for their jobs and their commitment to health care, and that if my goal of becoming a physician goes unrealized, that I could still contribute to the well-being of a patient in one of these fashions.

I figured that was a pretty good answer, because it describes a sense of open-mindedness to other careers while at the same time reiterating a desire to help patients.

But that's my answer, so don't steal it. ;)

Thanks so much!

This question is often used as a way to gauge someone's interest in medicine. There are two basic answers to the question:

1. I will apply again
2. I am not sure.

I would go with #1. And be enthusiastic with your answer - they want to see passion for medicine. MAke sure they know you want to be a D.O.

P.S. It was almost 100% not a way to tell you that you won't be a doctor.