Interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedIsInMyBlood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went on my first interviews and don't think I did so great. I felt like I rambled a lot with some answers... and maybe I wasn't as energetic and positive as I needed to be.

1. Am I allowed to pause for a few seconds after they ask me a question (to give me time to think about my response) ?

2. Is it okay to end a long answer with a brief wrap up of what your main point was. Example: " (after talking about my poor freshman year grades for a little while in a somewhat unorganized manner...exactly why I thought I struggled, what I did to improve, how the experience affected me, etc)... So, my main point here is that although I struggled with some courses early on in my freshman year, I believe it was a necessary growing expierence that has made me a stronger student in the long run."

3. Should I crack jokes and add colorful comments during the interview and try to lighten the mood up?

4. Should I just answer the questions they give me...or can I ask them questions as well during the interview (I am not talking about the end of the interview here, where they specifically ask you if you have questions for them) to make the interview feel more like a conversation as opposed to a one-sided interrogation?

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry so much. as long as you dont even up cursing and looking like a crazy person you'll be fine. do you have more interviews coming up? i haven't gone on my first interview yet but the only thing im worried about is if they ask me about the health care reform but im reading up on it so ill be fine

Just make sure they see that you are a personable, socially well adjusted individual (even if you are not). As long as you can fake it for 30 minutes you are good to go--then you can return to staring at the floor, rubbing your hands together incessantly, and mumbling to yourself on your way back to the waiting room.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Am I allowed to pause for a few seconds after they ask me a question (to give me time to think about my response) ?

OK to do 1-2x, but if you do it a lot, you'll come across as looking slow-witted.

2. Is it okay to end a long answer with a brief wrap up of what your main point was.

No, stick to the point. You're not writing an essay.

3. Should I crack jokes and add colorful comments during the interview and try to lighten the mood up?

Risky!!! If 1;1 or 2:1 format, might be OK if you're an especially witty person. The risk is that you'll come across looking superficial, especially if your jokes fall flat. Think about this: would you do this if you were on a very important job interview?

4. Should I just answer the questions they give me...or can I ask them questions as well during the interview (I am not talking about the end of the interview here, where they specifically ask you if you have questions for them) to make the interview feel more like a conversation as opposed to a one-sided interrogation?

Not recommended in a panel format, but might be OK in 1:1 interviews. Keep in mind that many interviewers will ask you "Do you have any questions for me?", or, "Ask me a question"

I just went on my first interviews and don't think I did so great. I felt like I rambled a lot with some answers... and maybe I wasn't as energetic and positive as I needed to be.

2. Is it okay to end a long answer with a brief wrap up of what your main point was. Example: " (after talking about my poor freshman year grades for a little while in a somewhat unorganized manner...exactly why I thought I struggled, what I did to improve, how the experience affected me, etc)... So, my main point here is that although I struggled with some courses early on in my freshman year, I believe it was a necessary growing expierence that has made me a stronger student in the long run."

My general advice for all interviews and what I have come to appreciate is that, your personality plays a huge role in your interview. Feel the general vibe of the school and try to sync yourself with it, while being yourself. Sounds a bit abstract but it works for me. Smile a lot, talk freely to other applicants, if you can, try to lead the interview (I did in all of mine). Do you have a great story? Tell it...don't make them ask you the same old boring questions or hear the same old boring answers from other interviewees and by all means don't be afraid to show your passion for the things that drive you to medicine and make you YOU. Be UNIQUE! and they'll remember you at their adcom meeting to decide your fate.

And for God's sake its not an ESSAY you are writing. Don't memorize responses else you'll sound boring and will be easily thrown off.

Hope this helps!