Quantcast

Interview!!! HMMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. juju

Dr. Juju
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
196
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
okey guys,
so I was at ucsf and someone (I mean from the admission office) recomended that I shouldn't hand in my CV when I'm walking out of the interview! I thought that's considered professional :(

what do you think?
 

akdental

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Dr. juju said:
okey guys,
so I was at ucsf and someone (I mean from the admission office) recomended that I shouldn't hand in my CV when I'm walking out of the interview! I thought that's considered professional :(

what do you think?

whats a CV?
 

akdental

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
oh.. :oops: hmmm. i would think its professional as well. but maybe b/c they prolly already know everything cuz its in your application...its not really a job interview..persay. just guessing..
 

prez_al

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
745
Reaction score
1
A lof of things are unprofessional, there's no point in handing them your CV, that's just too "in your face". It's those types of people that really "grinds my gears" because a while back, there was this one person who wanted to send thank you notes to the interviewers following their interview and the admissions coordinator immediately said it was unprofessional. That tactic might reek of desparation too, as you should've highlighted the BEST of you in your AADSAS application. Sorry for sounding blunt...
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Dr. juju said:
okey guys,
so I was at ucsf and someone (I mean from the admission office) recomended that I shouldn't hand in my CV when I'm walking out of the interview! I thought that's considered professional :(

what do you think?



I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. They interview several students a day and have a large file of stuff on each one.

Why complicate the interviewers with more useless crap.

Unfortunately, you will learn that they do not even have time to read through your application, they will skim over it right in front of you and ask questions at that time based on what catches their eye.

An extra CV would be pointless and confusing to them.

I don't recommend it at all.
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
I also want to say, that may seem desperate in their eyes.

good luck.
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
akdental said:
whats a CV?

curriculum vi·tae (vī'tē, vē'tī, wē'tī') pronunciation
n., pl. curricula vitae. (Abbr. CV)

A summary of one's education, professional history, and job qualifications, as for a prospective employer.

[Latin curriculum vītae, the race of life : curriculum, course + vītae, genitive of vīta, life.]




i should mention im really bored right now
 
F

futrdentist

prez_al said:
A lof of things are unprofessional, there's no point in handing them your CV, that's just too "in your face". It's those types of people that really "grinds my gears" because a while back, there was this one person who wanted to send thank you notes to the interviewers following their interview and the admissions coordinator immediately said it was unprofessional. That tactic might reek of desparation too, as you should've highlighted the BEST of you in your AADSAS application. Sorry for sounding blunt...


What's wrong with Thank You notes? Every etiquette thing I've ever heard has indicated otherwise?
 

ItsGavinC

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2001
Messages
11,749
Reaction score
23
Empty pockets said:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. They interview several students a day and have a large file of stuff on each one.

Why complicate the interviewers with more useless crap.

Unfortunately, you will learn that they do not even have time to read through your application, they will skim over it right in front of you and ask questions at that time based on what catches their eye.

An extra CV would be pointless and confusing to them.

I don't recommend it at all.

You hit it right on the head. :thumbup:
 
Members don't see this ad :)

ElCubanito

Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
137
Reaction score
40
Yea....don't. They already know you're a brown noser! :p
 

djeffreyt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
10
depending on who you ask, some say thank you notes are necessary others say don't do it...it's kinda confusing. I don't want to seem desperate, yet at the same time some people see not getting a thank you as a sign of disrespect...
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
djeffreyt said:
depending on who you ask, some say thank you notes are necessary others say don't do it...it's kinda confusing. I don't want to seem desperate, yet at the same time some people see not getting a thank you as a sign of disrespect...



LET ME HELP YOU MY SON................


THE PEOPLE SAYING NOT TO DO THIS ARE THE DENTAL STUDENTS.

THE PEOPLE SAYING TO GIVE NOTES OF APPRECIATION ARE THE DENTAL CANDIDATES.

Choose to listen to whomever you want. I for one would choose the opinion of the ACTUAL Students.

:)
 

Blando

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
just a thought... do you think this be a difference at what school you interview at?i.e. your demographic. I mean, from what I understand, down south it is polite to always say yes sir, no sir, you know what i mean? and around boston a lot of people are jerks, and people could take that the wrong way.. i'm trying to get somewhere with this, like maybe it would be better to write a thank you letter to somewhere like mississippi instead of bu? its just a thought, criticism is encouraged
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
387
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure how things are done up north and out west... :rolleyes: but, I'm w/ you Blando. Down in the south, thank you notes are a good thing. Yes, sir. No, ma'am. That's a must! :thumbup:.
 

Blando

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
i really like your quote by dr. seuss
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
387
Reaction score
0
Thanks, me too! :)
 

cba

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
djeffreyt said:
depending on who you ask, some say thank you notes are necessary others say don't do it...it's kinda confusing. I don't want to seem desperate, yet at the same time some people see not getting a thank you as a sign of disrespect...

I agree about not giving them your CV (resume) but I don't think there is harm in giving a thank you letter (or much benefit for that matter). Either they will say "hmmm that's nice" or they won't even look at it twice. So, why not? I don't think it will hurt but it MIGHT just give the adcom member an extra thing to remember you by. Just make it real simple and don't sound desperate. You could say, thank you for taking time out of your day to interview me. I really appreciate it and it was a pleasure meeting you. Or something like that.
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Blando said:
just a thought... do you think this be a difference at what school you interview at?i.e. your demographic. I mean, from what I understand, down south it is polite to always say yes sir, no sir, you know what i mean? and around boston a lot of people are jerks, and people could take that the wrong way.. i'm trying to get somewhere with this, like maybe it would be better to write a thank you letter to somewhere like mississippi instead of bu? its just a thought, criticism is encouraged


did you really think this out?

Just because a college is in the south doesn't mean all the professors are.


What it boils down to is this, your interviewer will be sitting in front of you with over 25 pages of information pertaining to you.

Although the interviewer is a Doctor, professor, whatever, this is OVERWHELMING TO HIM/HER.

If he has already interviewed 10 people that day that means that he/she has sifted through 250 pages of detailed crap.

Adding another piece of paper to their stack is not going to get you in dental school hands down.


If you applied early and did what you were supposed to do in your undergrad and on the DAT then your in great shape.

If not, ALL THE THANK YOU LETTERS NOTES WHATEVER WILL NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO THESE PEOPLE.


Thats the harsh truth.


You would be much better off to send suck up letters to the people who wrote you the recommendation letters as these people have much more power than you expect!
 

laelialudisia

they misunderestimated me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
732
Reaction score
1
Empty pockets said:
If not, ALL THE THANK YOU LETTERS NOTES WHATEVER WILL NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO THESE PEOPLE.


Thats the harsh truth.


You would be much better off to send suck up letters to the people who wrote you the recommendation letters as these people have much more power than you expect!

i do NOT agree with this statement. i know and have spoken with people on admission's committees at dental schools. i attended a lecture to a D3 class where the prof. (who was on the admission's committee at the school) was actually lecturing 3rd year students on the importance of ALWAYS sending thank-you notes, i kid you not.

the idea is not to suck-up as others are suggesting. the idea is to get your name in front of the decision makers as often as possible. if you are serious about getting into dental school i would DEFINITELY write thank-you notes. every single person i meet with will be getting a thank-you note!!!
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
Empty pockets said:
did you really think this out?

Just because a college is in the south doesn't mean all the professors are.


What it boils down to is this, your interviewer will be sitting in front of you with over 25 pages of information pertaining to you.

Although the interviewer is a Doctor, professor, whatever, this is OVERWHELMING TO HIM/HER.

If he has already interviewed 10 people that day that means that he/she has sifted through 250 pages of detailed crap.

Adding another piece of paper to their stack is not going to get you in dental school hands down.


If you applied early and did what you were supposed to do in your undergrad and on the DAT then your in great shape.

If not, ALL THE THANK YOU LETTERS NOTES WHATEVER WILL NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO THESE PEOPLE.


Thats the harsh truth.


You would be much better off to send suck up letters to the people who wrote you the recommendation letters as these people have much more power than you expect!


could u expand a little on the "much more power than you expect" part...i'm kinda curious about that.

Thanks
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
laelialudisia said:
i do NOT agree with this statement. i know and have spoken with people on admission's committees at dental schools. i attended a lecture to a D3 class where the prof. (who was on the admission's committee at the school) was actually lecturing 3rd year students on the importance of ALWAYS sending thank-you notes, i kid you not.

the idea is not to suck-up as others are suggesting. the idea is to get your name in front of the decision makers as often as possible. if you are serious about getting into dental school i would DEFINITELY write thank-you notes. every single person i meet with will be getting a thank-you note!!!



I wouldn't do it. The professor lecturing probably wasn't one of the professors who interviewed 200 students.

Do what you want in the end. If it bites you in the ass later its not my fault.
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
SirShagaLot said:
could u expand a little on the "much more power than you expect" part...i'm kinda curious about that.

Thanks


man if you can't figure out that the dentists who donate money to the schools actually have some clout as to who gets accepted then your confused as to how this whole acceptance thing works.
 

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
when you look at a schools acceptance statistics and you see that say 5 people or so in the class who had less than a 3.0 and less than a 17 DAT you start to realize that although thousands of people applied - these 5 kids obviously had something that got them in, be it a relative who is a dentist or they know someone with a tie to the school, etc.


POLITICS.


Shadowing the "right" dentist can make or break you if your stats suck.

Ive seen this year after year.
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
582
Reaction score
0
Empty pockets said:
man if you can't figure out that the dentists who donate money to the schools actually have some clout as to who gets accepted then your confused as to how this whole acceptance thing works.

yeah well i guess there was a misunderstanding here.....i have prof's write my letters, not guys who let me look over their shoulder and kiss their ass hoping they write me a nice letter......i never really thought about it like that..its too bad thats how it works sometimes...........The reason i was interested is b/c i'm an average applicant with pretty decent DAT scores..i've gone back to school and taken some graduate courses and got one of my graduate prof's to write me a new letter (not my first app. cycle) and I'm just hoping that this will help my chances of acceptance.....i've never really seen a thread here about how diff. schools weigh LOR's in relation to other app. factors ect. ect.......i do however don't doubt for 1 sec. that what u mentioned does happen, it's too bad some people don't have to earn what so many of us would do damn near do anything 4 if given the opportunity :cool:

thanks
 

laelialudisia

they misunderestimated me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
732
Reaction score
1
Empty pockets said:
I wouldn't do it. The professor lecturing probably wasn't one of the professors who interviewed 200 students.

Do what you want in the end. If it bites you in the ass later its not my fault.

actually he was on the admission's committee
 
Top