Interview Invite Itch? A quick fix for the obsessive compulsive.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBPSU2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why let class, exams, or even trips to the bathroom stop you from receiving those interview invites?

If you use Gmail (or pretty much any webmail service), you can create a "forwarding filter". This will allow emails from specific domain servers to be forwarded to your cell phone as a text message.... THE MOMENT THEY ARRIVE!

I did it for all 16 of my schools... Unfortunately hasn't been in much use for the past few weeks :rolleyes:

1) Create a Filter. In the "From" box, type in the DOMAIN SERVER name for the specific school in question (since the sender of the email could be different in each case) i.e: for the University of Maryland I would type in "som.umaryland.edu"

2) Click Next. There will be various options for this filter, you want to check "Forward Message To:". then enter your 10 digit text messaging address. i.e: for Verizon, my text messaging address would be: [email protected]. Standard text messaging rates do apply ;)

3) Click save and your set! Now you will receive the desired email wherever you are in the world, regardless of internet access!

Note: For the faint of heart, one can discriminate what TYPE of email the want forwarded to them by a school. When you create the filter, you can designate that the email has to have the words "congratulations" or interview be forwarded to you; and not contain the phrase "unfortunately" or "Hold".

Members don't see this ad.

Why let class, exams, or even trips to the bathroom stop you from receiving those interview invites?

If you use Gmail (or pretty much any webmail service), you can create a "forwarding filter". This will allow emails from specific domain servers to be forwarded to your cell phone as a text message.... THE MOMENT THEY ARRIVE!

I did it for all 16 of my schools... Unfortunately hasn't been in much use for the past few weeks :rolleyes:

1) Create a Filter. In the "From" box, type in the DOMAIN SERVER name for the specific school in question (since the sender of the email could be different in each case) i.e: for the University of Maryland I would type in "som.umaryland.edu"

2) Click Next. There will be various options for this filter, you want to check "Forward Message To:". then enter your 10 digit text messaging address. i.e: for Verizon, my text messaging address would be: [email protected]. Standard text messaging rates do apply ;)

3) Click save and your set! Now you will receive the desired email wherever you are in the world, regardless of internet access!

Note: For the faint of heart, one can discriminate what TYPE of email the want forwarded to them by a school. When you create the filter, you can designate that the email has to have the words "congratulations" or interview be forwarded to you; and not contain the phrase "unfortunately" or "Hold".

"Dear Applicant,
UNFORTUNATELY, you are so over-qualified that we do not need to HOLD an interview for you, and will grant you a spot in our class if you call us within the next 5 minutes. otherwise, your file will UNFORTUNATELY be no longer considered."

this is the kind of situation i'd be in if i set up that filter...

I just created a new gmail acct for my apps and fwded all mail to my cell w/o filtering. The mayo not selected email didnt even faze me.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh etf, you're such a spoilsport. I love this forwarding thing! Genius! I just set it up on my gmail account. Now all those times in class when I'm just itching to go to a computer and check my email, I can just check my phone. :)

oh etf, you're such a spoilsport. I love this forwarding thing! Genius! I just set it up on my gmail account. Now all those times in class when I was just itching to go to a computer and check my email, now I can just check my phone. :)

well here's the thing, and i mentioned it in a previous thread - one of the most exciting feelings is getting out of class, going to a computer lab, checking your email, and getting an invite. this whole texting thing takes some of the anticipation out of it.

well here's the thing, and i mentioned it in a previous thread - one of the most exciting feelings is getting out of class, going to a computer lab, checking your email, and getting an invite. this whole texting thing takes some of the anticipation out of it.
Yeah but it makes people without a Treo/Blackberry/iPhone feel connected to the world even while at work.

You can still get snail mail surprises so it's not like Google will rob you of all your fun.

BTW, anyone know AT&T's email for messages?

I can't find the email address for a Sprint phone...does anyone know it?

send yourself an email from your phone. you will see your phone's email address from your email.

Yeah, but the real fun comes from schools like Mayo that seem to only send secondaries and invites via email at 1:30am CST. Set up email forwarding to your cellphone and just see if you can get back to sleep after that.... ;)

I don't think the problem is so much being robbed of the anticipation, but rather getting your hopes up whenever your phone goes off and then finding out it's a friend texting you. Not that I wouldn't appreciate a text from a friend, but everytime my phone tells me I have a text now, I'm gonna be expecting an interview invitation. :rolleyes: Still, great idea, BMBPSU2008...

I had this set up on my phone for a little while. But then I realized that I was feeling disappointed ALL DAY when I didn't have a text message instead of just being disappointed twice a day when I check my email. So...I quit the texting thing and continue to look forward to checking my email at home. Keeping the hope alive!

Most of the time I get lame emails about student activities occuring that week. I need to remove myself from all those listservs.

Haha, good work people

"Dear Applicant,
UNFORTUNATELY, you are so over-qualified that we do not need to HOLD an interview for you, and will grant you a spot in our class if you call us within the next 5 minutes. otherwise, your file will UNFORTUNATELY be no longer considered."

this is the kind of situation i'd be in if i set up that filter...

AND if you call within the next 2 minutes you'll get a free iPOD nano! :laugh: