Interview Invite Question please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timurx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'll be an applicant this cycle (to start July 2017) for Pulm/CC and had a couple of questions regarding timeline for things (please excuse if this is answered elsewhere but could not find the answer clearly, and I'm a little removed from residency thus don't have the help of peers to ask)

1. Given first day to submit ERAS is July 15th (which is when I will submit), when are MOST interview invites sent and/or should be anticipated?

2. When would be appropriate to reach out to a program you haven't heard from yet that you'd like to interview at (so its not too early and come off annoying, but not too late either)

3. Anyone get straight out rejections in the beginning? Or are these sent later on or never?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Check out past invite threads, those are generally accurate. Invites kept coming until late August with the bulk coming the first half of August, some specialties like pulm/cc seemed to get them earlier and others, like GI and cards, got them a little later.

2. Opinions vary on this, but I think it depends on the situation. If it's a reputable and desirable program, emailing to show your interest won't make a difference, they already know. However, if there's a program you're truly interested in that you think may pass over your application because they think you're not seriously interested, maybe it won't hurt to reach out mid-late August. An example could be an outstanding applicant applying to a less reputable program or someplace random due to personal reasons. I know of a few people who got interviews this way. However, in this case, it may be better to be proactive and write a specific personal statement for that program.

3. All of the above