interview invite then put on waitlist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4success

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an interview invite from PD with certain dates that were open. I filled out the form for dates, didn't hear back in few days, so called and now they tell me all the dates are taken and have to be put on waiting list... :(
did this happen to anyone else? anything I can do meanwhile? ie. email program director? I really wanted this interview...

Members don't see this ad.

How fast did you reply to the invitation? If it was immediately, in all honesty, the way the situation was handled should make you rethink just how much you'd want to train there, let alone interview.
If this is your no. 1, you're not swayed, and you immediately replied to the invite, an e-mail to the PD explaining the situation and your interest wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe the PC is just incompetent.

I recently received an interview invite from PD with certain dates that were open. I filled out the form for dates, didn't hear back in few days, so called and now they tell me all the dates are taken and have to be put on waiting list... :(
did this happen to anyone else? anything I can do meanwhile? ie. email program director? I really wanted this interview...

happened to me with a prelim program. very annoying.

every program should use interview broker. Most PC's have been great with scheduling but it's just a nightmare in general and some PC's have been awful

thanks guys. ya, i got the feeling that my request form got misplaced... hopefully people will drop some interviews and spots will open!

how frequently do people call to check on the waitlist status? or do we just wait until the school informs you? I was thinking once a week, but don't want to annoy the PCs.

any thoughts?

thanks guys. ya, i got the feeling that my request form got misplaced... hopefully people will drop some interviews and spots will open!

The later it gets the more spots will open up. People get tired. Traveling is expensive. Around Christmas, people start getting their credit card bills for airline tickets, rental cars, gas, hotels, extra meals, etc and decide they've seen enough programs where they could be happy come Match Day. One year I had overbooked my last day by six spots because I knew people would cancel. As that week approached, I was still overbooked by four people and panicking about how to construct an interview day with that many applicants. Every time the phone rang I prayed it would be someone cancelling. Eventually, the cancellations started coming and I ended up with slightly fewer applicants than the maximum I usually plan. So be encouraged!

The later it gets the more spots will open up. People get tired. Traveling is expensive. Around Christmas, people start getting their credit card bills for airline tickets, rental cars, gas, hotels, extra meals, etc and decide they've seen enough programs where they could be happy come Match Day. One year I had overbooked my last day by six spots because I knew people would cancel. As that week approached, I was still overbooked by four people and panicking about how to construct an interview day with that many applicants. Every time the phone rang I prayed it would be someone cancelling. Eventually, the cancellations started coming and I ended up with slightly fewer applicants than the maximum I usually plan. So be encouraged!

That is nice to hear. I'm waiting on a certain program so hopefully it comes through.

Also, to respond to the OP, I just reread one of my interview invitations and it said their spots are highly sought after and if you don't respond quickly, the dates could fill up, at which point you would be wait listed. So it happens.