Interview Invite Thread 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker (Responses) This tracker is very useful, may I suggest to add a column of Application Completion Date? Also can the tracker be used or combined with *~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*
so that people more data can be entered into the Tracker?

Members don't see this ad.

2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker (Responses) This tracker is very useful, may I suggest to add a column of Application Completion Date? Also can the tracker be used or combined with *~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*
so that people more data can be entered into the Tracker?

Thanks for the input!

I toyed with the idea of adding a completion date field when starting but it doesn't convey consistent/reliable information to other applicants and future applicants. Review of apps isn't usually done linearly.

The other thread is from the Pre-Dental Sub, this is MD specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump!

For those who haven't seen this thread or the tracker yet - I put together a Google Form (survey) to gather simple data on when II's are given by each school, and the MCAT/GPA profile of such.

If you haven't contributed your interviews yet, feel free to add them!

Link: 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

Quick Observation:

upload_2017-11-21_16-46-28.png

The total average MCAT of reported II's has been slowly decreasing since August, and the average of the MCAT reported within each week has also been falling. Although I believe this number to be inflated due to response bias (candidates with higher MCATs from both SDN and reddit) the trend is still interesting to see.

Response Data can be found in the link in my signature.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not to be rude, but it goes beyond response bias. There is self selection in the schools we apply to, huge factors that are considered past Mcat scores, and so many programs to take into consideration. As a whole, it’s hard to say this data means anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not to be rude, but it goes beyond response bias. There is self selection in the schools we apply to, huge factors that are considered past Mcat scores, and so many programs to take into consideration. As a whole, it’s hard to say this data means anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't disagree that there are many factors at play here, but to say that metrics like the MCAT are meaningless data is being naive. It is still the only objective, standardized measurement that exists in our applications.

Although there is self selection in the schools applied to, 140 different schools are represented in the data. With the median number of responses per school being 14. Could the sample size be larger and more representative? Yes. Are there still data points that can be gathered? Yes.

..I always seem to catch some sort of criticism when I post about this.

Shall we bring data collection into the 21st century fam?

2017/18 Interview Invite Tracker

We can use this to collect and store data on II's and do some better mid and post cycle analysis in the same vein as Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker

However, if we can get enough people to participate in it this year, we can spot specific patterns to further the neuroses of future premeds!
I have a quick question about interpreting this data. I’m confused on “date II’s received” versus “date I interviewed for this school”. Is this data only about when secondaries were received?? Or does this data include “interview invites” as in “congratulations, we want to interview on [date]” data. Some dates on the spreadsheet seem early for interviews which is making think my plan to submit secondaries late August will make me miss some interview opportunities

Edit: ok I get it now I think.. it’s the date the invite to interview was sent. Damn these are earlier. I thought the committees didn’t meet until mid August usually but it seems every school is already sending interview invites by early August or late July