Interview Invites for 2010 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirCuneus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to create a thread where those of us going after derm can post when we receive dermatology interviews. The applicant pool is still accumulating and programs are still waiting to see what's out there in terms of research and experience, but it will be a good way to monitor our progress. So please...post when you get an interview, and, if you don't mind saying, state where it is also.

I haven't received any invites yet for dermatology after applying to 30 programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 3X as many progs as you, and no interviews yet. I guess I should feel 3X worse. The waiting has begun and it's not even interview season yet. I can't imagine the joy of waiting during february and early march.

Don't feel 3x as worse! I'm going to submit some more applications this week. Nonetheless, it's just a big waiting came so far. We just gotta be patient while our friends that chose FM, IM, and Peds already have 5+ interviews scheduled.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many dermatology programs are there (not counting combined programs and research tracks)?

You guys might not hear anything until closer to Nov. 1st.

I agree. Don't go crazy about anything before Nov. 1st. Any early invites are usually "internal" interviews. That is, rotators, researchers, students of the school.

111, according to Frieda.

Also, don't get depressed as your fellow med students, going into other fields, are piling up the interviews and even canceling a few here and there. Dermatology programs make you wait it out. :)

...slowly inching away from the cliff edge.

thanks for the comforting advice guys.

have derm programs started downloading yet? i.e. any reason to turn in eras early with respect to derm programs?

Last edited:
i received almost all of my invites in december when i applied a couple of years ago, with perhaps 1 or 2 at the very end of november. started to get worried in november but ended up with 9.

Yeah, I talked to a friend today who is applying into family medicine. She submitted her applications last week and as of today as 7 interviews scheduled...

I'm not applying until next year but I'm already dreading the waiting game. Reminds me of the Homer Simpson quote: "The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!" If only.

have derm programs started downloading yet? i.e. any reason to turn in eras early with respect to derm programs?

Yeah, I'd say about 1/4-1/3 of the programs I applied to have downloaded my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
111 Programs on Freida
102 Through ERAS + SUNY Downstate = 103

Where are the other 8????:eek:

111 Programs on Freida
102 Through ERAS + SUNY Downstate = 103

Whoa... I didn't know SUNY Downstate was separate until your post.

Is anyone applying there? I just checked out their website. They want us to write them a letter using snail mail... not even an email or website option... :scared:

If anyone knows anything about this program, please do share. :)

Or if you want to remain anonymous, you can PM me and I can post the comments. The program looks big (15 residents), so there's a degree of anonymity there... ;)

Hey all. I talked to one PD who said that although they might start downloading apps now, they don't look at anything until the dean's letter comes through. It apparently is a lot of work to download and print all those apps, so they start doing it now to take off some of the workload later on. This PD also said there's no advantage to applying well before the deadlines.

I do agree it could help with TY or prelim spots to get your app in early, as those programs are already handing out interviews to radiology/anesthesia/ophtho applicants. But there are plenty to go around, you'll be fine.

Good luck to all! I'm nervous already....

Last year, I applied to SUNY-Downstate (with all of the hoops - sent letter requesting app, obtained hard copies of everything, mailed hard copy with UPS tracking) and I NEVER heard anything from them. Not even "thanks for your interest."

I had the same experience with SUNY-Downstate... never even got a rejection letter or a "thanks for your interest" (or a thanks for paying them $25 to apply).... I've heard they have a decent program and their residents are happy, but this lack of response is not very impressive.

I had the same experience with SUNY-Downstate... never even got a rejection letter or a "thanks for your interest" (or a thanks for paying them $25 to apply).... I've heard they have a decent program and their residents are happy, but this lack of response is not very impressive.

This year they didn't have an application fee, so that's a plus. I wonder how many applicants they get each year versus the ERAS schools.

Yes, the SUNY Downstate thing is quite painful, especially the second time around. Last time I applied I didn't hear back from them either (and I didn't receive interviews from the other non-ERAS schools Rush/Einstein come to mind after going through all the hoops :rolleyes:). I am biting the bullet and applying, though...

What other Non-ERAS programs are there? I see Rush and Einstein on ERAS...

Thanks. Glad to know there aren't any more I'm missing.
I requested an application from SUNY Downstate a while back but still haven't gotten anything. What do they require you to send in? Did you have to pay another $60 for the USMLE transcript?

Their deadline is 11/13 according to FRIEDA so there's still some time...

This was from last year's Match. :)

Interviews
Arkansas (11/14 email) - 12/12
Baylor (11/12 email)
Brown (11/11 email) -- 12/5
Drexel (phone)
Duke (11/14 email, 11/19 email) -- 12/10, 12/18
ECU (phone)
Geisinger (11/9 email) -- (12/8, 12/15, 1/5)
Henry Ford Medical Center (11/20 email) -- 1/9, 1/10, 1/30, 1/31
Hopkins (10/24 email, 11/12 email) -- 12/3, 12/10
Indiana (10/21 email) -- 11/12
Iowa (11/14 email) -- 12/4, 12/11, 1/15
LSU (11/7 email) -- 1/22, 2/5, 2/19
Marshfield Clinic (11/12 email) -- 12/15, 1/12
Mayo Jacksonville (11/21 email) -- 1/9, 1/12, 1/26, 1/27
Mayo Rochester (11/13 email) -- 12/8, 12/12, 12/15
Mayo Scottsdale (11/14, email) --
Medical College of Georgia () --
Medical College of Wisconsin (11/14, email) -- 12/15, 1/9, 1/13
Michigan (email) -- 11/21, 11/22
MUSC (11/4 email) -- 12/6
New Jersey Medical School (10/24 email)
Northwestern University (11/3 email)
Ohio State (11/10 email) -- 1/9
Penn State Hershey (11/10 phone) -- 12/10, 12/12
Scott and White (10/27 email) -- 11/20, 12/04, 12/18, 1/08, 1/17
Stanford (11/11 e-mail) -- 1/10, 1/13
SUNY Buffalo (11/3 email)
SUNY Downstate (11/13 email)
Texas Tech (11/7 email) --12/4, 12/11
UC Irvine (11/3 email)
UCSF (11/20 phone) -- 1/14
University of Connecticut (11/20 email) -- 1/10
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago (11/14, 11/18 email) -- 1/14
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (11/18 email)
University of Oklahoma (10/15 snail mail)
UT Houston (11/20 email)--12/5, 1/23, 2/14
UT Southwestern (11/11 email; 11/21 email)--Dec 11-Dec12; Jan 8-Jan 9
Wake Forest (11/8, 11/19 snail mail) --1/9, 1/10, 1/30, 1/31
Wash U (11/20 email) -- 1/10, 1/24
Wayne State (11/5 email) -- 12/17, 1/14, 1/21
Wisconsin-Madison (11/17, email) --12/16, 1/6
Wright State (11/18 email) -- 12/12, 1/17
WHC (11/4 email, 11/20 email) -- 12/4, 12/18, 1/15, 1/29

Rejections
Geisinger (11/10 email)
Johns Hopkins (11/5, 11/10, 11/12 email)
Mayo Arizona
Michigan (10/28 email)
Oklahoma (11/17 snail mail)
Penn State (11/11 email)
Scott and White (10/28 email)
Stanford (11/11 email)
SUNY Buffalo (10/30)
Wake Forest (11/8, 11/13, 11/17 snail mail)
Wayne State (11/18 email)
Wisconsin-Madison (11/17, email)
UCI (11/10, 11/12 email)
UConn (11/20 email)
UNC (11/18 email)
UT Southwestern (11/21 email)

Waitlisted
UNC (11/18 email)

Thanks. Glad to know there aren't any more I'm missing.
I requested an application from SUNY Downstate a while back but still haven't gotten anything. What do they require you to send in? Did you have to pay another $60 for the USMLE transcript?

Their deadline is 11/13 according to FRIEDA so there's still some time...

Their app is pretty much the same as ERAS. You have to provide photos, LORs, transcript, USMLE scores, and your PS. Fortunately, you can just send them a copy of your USMLE scores printed from the NBME site (I called to ask if this was ok) rather than paying for USMLE to send them.

Also received the UIC invite today, 10/13. Date of interview is 12/16.

Seems awfully early for an invite, but I'll take it.

Congrats to those with interviews already! :)
Thanks to ChocolateKiss for the link to interview invites from last year.
It seems like Univ of Illinois at Chicago sent out invites later last year... wonder why they are starting earlier this year?

Even though there probably won't be that many interview offers before Nov... I figure we can start "The List".

I found the following format to be useful on other threads that listed dates for prelim/TY interviews. I'll start this... if anyone has some other idea of how this list should look like, feel free to change.
Basically, cut and paste the list, and put in bold anything you added/changed. Please put the date you received the interview, and the dates that were available.

This might make this thread really really long, but it'll be more helpful to others, because they can just scroll to last entry for the most recent list.

=======================
Interviews

ILLINOIS
University of Illinois COM at Chicago: 10/9, 10/13 email (12/16)

Rejections

Waitlist

Interviews

ILLINOIS

NEW YORK
SUNY at Buffalo: 10/14 email (12/8, 12/15, 1/12)

Rejections

Waitlist

Last edited:
are those of you who got UIC interviews from cali or chicago? i interviewed there last time and everyone was either from cali or chicago.

Does that mean you're also from Cali or Chicago? Or were you an exception to the rule? I'm from neither so I guess I wasted $25 there. Oh well. :oops:

Does that mean you're also from Cali or Chicago? Or were you an exception to the rule? I'm from neither so I guess I wasted $25 there. Oh well. :oops:

yeah, i'm from one of those places. i think they had a later interview date where they maybe had people from other places?? but the first date seemed like it was all cali and chicago peeps (or maybe there were a few others there that i just didn't talk to). it was a little strange actually...

FYI:

The Dermatology Residency Interviews Database at http://www.derminterest.org/interviews may help you better plan your interviews. It's not complete yet, so if your program's dates aren't yet listed, please encourage the dermatology program director or coordinator to send in answers to the following questions to [email protected]

(Some programs only have 1 or 2 interview dates, and there are many conflicts. So, if you are expecting/hoping for an interview at Program X, you shouldn't schedule another interview on the only day that Program X interviews if you can avoid it).
________
1. How many dermatology residency spots does your program have available? Are they advanced-standing, categorical, med-derm, or research track positions?

2. What are your interview dates for the 2009-10 application season?

3. Will there be a pre-interview dinner? Are there any details you want to post regarding the dinner?

4. Do you have a brief general announcement you wish to post?

5. What is the current URL for your program's website?

________

Hope this helps!

DIGA

Interviews

ILLINOIS

NEW YORK
SUNY at Buffalo: 10/14, 10/15 email (12/8, 12/15, 1/12)

Rejections

Waitlist

Interviews

ILLINOIS

NEW JERSEY
Cooper University Hospital (UMDNJ Camden): 10/16 email (1/7, 1/14, 1/28)

NEW YORK
SUNY at Buffalo: 10/14, 10/15 email (12/8, 12/15, 1/12)

Rejections

Waitlist

Last edited:
cooper...this should be one of the first to drop if you get many more or you have a date conflict. Only one resident per year (no cohorts is lonely) and in the worst city in the U.S. Ever see "my name is earl"? That's camden.

cooper...this should be one of the first to drop if you get many more or you have a date conflict. Only one resident per year (no cohorts is lonely) and in the worst city in the U.S. Ever see "my name is earl"? That's camden.

but hey, an interview is an interview, right? congratulations, chocolate kiss!

Applied to 100 + 1 Derm residencies, 7 Med/Derm, 1 Peds/Derm... here goes everything

Thank you ERAS for sealing my fate

Interviews

Rejections

Waitlist

It's driving me nuts that they won't release the MSPEs until Nov 1st, even if they are already uploaded to ERAS!:scared:

Interviews

ILLINOIS

NEW JERSEY
Cooper University Hospital (UMDNJ Camden): 10/16 email (1/7, 1/14, 1/28)

NEW YORK
SUNY at Buffalo: 10/14, 10/15 email, 10/20 email (12/8, 12/15, 1/12)

Rejections

Waitlist

Wow, congrats on all those getting interviews so early! Are you all superstars or do these places only interview internal / local applicants early? Probably the former... ;)

Still nothing yet for me on the derm end.... And I've only heard from 1/3 of my prelim and TY programs.

If you're reading this forum right now, you should be reading Bolognia instead. Ha!