Interview issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebesgue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons to staying with students during your interview? Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros: It's cheap! You can learn a little more about the school! You can find out many of the truths about a certain place, truths you might not get from a dean trying to sell the school to you (like how attractive your classmates are, where to go out on firdays, etc.)! Did I mention it's cheap? Also, you can meet more med students at that place, to see if you fit in. Oh yeah, one more thing, it's cheap!

Cons: You might be stuck on a sofa...no room service...no guarantees...

I would stay with a med student, at least that is what I have been doing...because by now, I am dead broke, having spent mad loot on interviews all over the place.

i highly recommend it, as i've had really good experiences doing so. well, except for one...the girl had no door between her bedroom and the living room, so even though i slept on the sofa it was like we were in the same room. she was really nice and soft-spoken, but in the dead of the night (she has chronic insomnia and takes medication for it) she busted out with "what the f**k, get it out!" in her sleep and scared me so badly i almost wet the couch. she, of course, slumbered through the incident so i decided not to bring it up the next day...

Members don't see this ad :)
cons: a bad student host might leave you feeling negative about a place. i stayed with one at nymc and really sensed she didn't like it there. although she seemed like a very nice person, it made it hard for me to get too excited about the school. i guess it's good to know if there are bad things about a school, but perhaps she is like the only one who is not happy there. i will never know.
you have to bring a sleeping bag which is a pain if you live across the country. i slept on the floor which was pretty hard.

pros: cheap, might learn something about the school you would have learned otherwise, nice way to get a feel for the environment.

i'm not staying with one at my next interview, b/c i'll be there for 3 nights. it's a bit of a pain to keep lugging your stuff around.

I have stayed with student hosts at most of my interviews and they do give you a real view of what the school has to offer. Plus tow of my hosts took me out and paid for my beers. I would recommend taking a small gift to say thanks. I bought one of my hosts a six pack of amstel light and the rest $15 starbuck giftcards. Alcohol or coffee, you can't go wrong with either one.

I'd say its generally a good idea. I think the best part besides saving money is that they can help you find out where you're going the next morning! I've stayed with about three great hosts, one OK host, and one total psycho. So if you get bad vibes when talking to them on the phone, just back out. But i think it's always worth trying.

I am pretty much in the same situation as a few of you... looking at the the med school and have my interview coming up. What I wanted to find out was how to get in touch with one of the students. I spoke to some second years and a forth year and it didn't sound like they usually did the hosting. Thanks for any info.

I stayed with one student on my first interview and never stayed with another student host. I like being able to go to sleep when I want and wake up when I want and not have to chit chat. I did ask for a list of students and had dinner the night before with a student at most of the other interviews that way I got the inside info but didn't have the "sleep on the floor before a big interview" motif going on.

never been disappointed.

typically the people who do host are the ones that like their school and like meetin new people. sure there are some rare examples here and there about a horrible host. but for the most part, the odds are you are gonna have an excellent host.

who uses room service anyway? isnt that extra $$ down the drain? but then again...i never know since i wouldnt pay to stay when i have the choice of having free lodging. ;)