Interview Prep Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pr9301

Reaction score
Has anyone tried an interview prep class for a traditional interview? I have been going through practice questions and coming up with responses to them. I have also been watching a ton of youtube videos but I am not sure how else to prepare! Would love any advise on how you guys prepared for your DO school interviews

Members don't see this ad.

I just went through like every question on SDN feedback for the respective school. I made a word document of every question and just went down the list asking myself trying to give a decent answer aloud. Gets you in the groove of thinking on your feet even if you don't get the same questions. That being said I did get many of the exact questions. It worked for okay for me and my social skills are embarrassingly poor. Also, I personally wouldn't pay for a class, but I'm cheap lol
Gotcha thank you! I have a running list of a google document and have been doing some practice questions with my friends but they aren't pre-med so its kinda hard to gauge if my answers are any good lol but thank you for the advice!

When you are driving, focus your rear view mirror on yourself and ask the common questions "why DO? why medicine? why this school? tell me about yourself" etc. You're goal is to remember to highlight certain aspects about yourself that you want the interviewer to know. Look at yourself in the mirror when you talk and try to have a genuine expression, watch out for "uummms" or "uhhhs," but don't wait too long between thoughts. Don't memorize full responses and just genuinely talk about yourself and your passion for medicine. Once you can do this in the mirror multiple times (different speech each time, but hit the points that you want to hit) you will be able to improvise on the fly and answer questions. GL

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check each schools profile here for reported questions of previous interviewees. Have 2 minute stump speech ready to go when they say “tell me about yourself.” Be sure and talk about all your experiences and all the things you learned from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
oh I do NOT recommend practicing while driving and looking in the mirror. That is neither good for driving safely nor effective interview prep. Focus on driving when you're driving.

now for interview prep, knowing the questions is good, having your responses is good! I think doing full out mock interviews is a great idea so you can practice in a simulated setting. I do know people that have worked with interview prep companies and found them helpful but of course it's so important to do your own research into the companies and speak to them yourself first

Reactions: 5 users
oh I do NOT recommend practicing while driving and looking in the mirror. That is neither good for driving safely nor effective interview prep. Focus on driving when you're driving.

now for interview prep, knowing the questions is good, having your responses is good! I think doing full out mock interviews is a great idea so you can practice in a simulated setting. I do know people that have worked with interview prep companies and found them helpful but of course it's so important to do your own research into the companies and speak to them yourself first
I have done two full mock interviews and then practice questions with friends for the questions I feel weaker on. Would you recommend more than this?

Has anyone tried an interview prep class for a traditional interview? I have been going through practice questions and coming up with responses to them. I have also been watching a ton of youtube videos but I am not sure how else to prepare! Would love any advise on how you guys prepared for your DO school interviews
I’m going to echo what’s been said and say that the “Interview Feedback” portion of SDN is absolute gold. I’ve had 6 interviews and gotten 5 acceptances and will hear back from the sixth in the upcoming weeks. A lot of an interview has to do with how you fit in with the school. Practicing will help but going into it confident and calm is the biggest deal to me. Cannot stress enough the importance of shaking the interviewer(s) hand as you come in and leave, eye contact, and saying thank you. I think these simple gestures are kind of forgotten of, but these little things can add up to leave a lasting impression. Save your money for any type of interview prep. You got this!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m going to echo what’s been said and say that the “Interview Feedback” portion of SDN is absolute gold. I’ve had 6 interviews and gotten 5 acceptances and will hear back from the sixth in the upcoming weeks. A lot of an interview has to do with how you fit in with the school. Practicing will help but going into it confident and calm is the biggest deal to me. Cannot stress enough the importance of shaking the interviewer(s) hand as you come in and leave, eye contact, and saying thank you. I think these simple gestures are kind of forgotten of, but these little things can add up to leave a lasting impression. Save your money for any type of interview prep. You got this!
Thank you for your vote of confidence! I will definitely keep the little things in mind!

I have done two full mock interviews and then practice questions with friends for the questions I feel weaker on. Would you recommend more than this?

sure! if you think they will give you good feedback on how to improve. get your friends to dress up as faculty members and be really stern and scary lol. the important thing i think is to try to simulate that nervousness and the conditions of a real interview as best as you can

I felt this service was absolutely invaluable. It allows you to see your nervous ticks, send it to other people for critiques and allow them to make interviews for you. It doesn't give you the questions ahead of time so you have to think on your feet.