Interview prepping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how some of you are starting to prep for interviews. I have one in a little over 2 weeks (eek!), and while I'm familiar with the interviewfeedback site, I'm also feeling the need to brush up a little on my managed care knowledge, general state of U.S. healthcare knowledge. Does anyone have some books or sites that they could recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview this week in NY and I was wondering the same thing? I do not think that anyone expects us to know everything about managed health care, HMO's, etc..

The more you know, the better it looks. Showing an interest in matters that affect current physicians would show the ADCOMMS that you're dedicated to this type of stuff. I'd suggest reading some trends, pay attention to the latest news the week or two before your interviews, and just casually bring it up in the interview. Best of luck!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Mango (and everyone else),

Thanks so much for your reply. I did look through the messages, and it helped a lot. Much of it seems to be common sense, but it was a good reminder of what to think about, be prepared for in the coming weeks. Thanks!

Congrats on getting an interview!
smile.gif
For my first (and so far only...I have 3 more scheduled) I did all the catching up on HMOs etc, but wasnt asked about it at all. Actually, my first interviewer gave me a piece of advice that's a good thing to keep in mind (I guess my nervousness showed through more than I thought it did). The interviewers aren't out to get you. Even if the interview type is icky (pressure, whatever), they're still just trying to find out who you are so that they can advocate for you (unless they're simply a bad apple, which happens occasionally---and if it does, you can ask for a new interview).

You can ask for a new interview? Are you sure? I would think that with the volume of interviews that they get, they wouldn't have time to be interviewing people twice/thrice/etc.

-imtiaz

First off, thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement. I guess my specific question was if anyone had any books, websites, etc. that they specifically recommend on the topic of managed care, the changing face of American health care, etc. I feel pretty confident about all the other areas of the interview, and I do read up on current events pretty regularly. However, I feel that my understanding of the current American health care system is a little shaky, and while this question may or may not come up, I would just feel better the more I could brush up on the subject. Thanks in advance.