interview q: would you like to sit in the rocking chair or on the couch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baobao

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
because your choice will tell me a lot about you?

---what are you look for from this question? For me, my choice will depend on the different situations....

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely a couch. A rocking chair is too unstable.

hey same for me couch is more comfortable and stable. I move too much in a rocking chair. interesting question

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see how you fared with the adcom based on your answer, because we know psychoanalysis of someone's choice in seating is a good way to tell about their personality:

HIGH SCORE APPLICANT VERSION:
(If you picked the couch)
Obviously you are someone who likes stability. Well, here at the University of Dentistry, we are looking for professional students who will become a stable anchor in their communities. We think you'll be a great match for the school. We are happy to offer you a spot.

(If you picked the rocking chair)
Obviously you are someone who likes to take the more challenging choice and be out of your comfort zone. Well, here at the University of Dentistry, you'll often have to do that and so we think you'll be a great match for the school. Also, your penchant for rocking chairs might indicate that you get along well with old people. We are happy to offer you a spot.

LOW SCORE APPLICANT VERSION:
(If you picked the couch)
Obviously you have a lazy personality and are someone who tends to pick the easy choice. You like to stay in your comfort zone. Well, here at University of Dentistry, you will often have to go outside that, so we don't think you will be a great match for the school. We are unable to offer you a seat (haha, get it? you don't get a seat).

(If you picked the rocking chair)
Obviously you have a rigid and unstable personality. Well, here at the University of Dentistry, we are looking for professional students who will become a stable anchor in their communities. Also, your penchant for rocking chairs might indicate that you are an old person. We don't think you will be a great match for the school. We are unable to offer you a seat (haha, get it? you don't get a seat).

/I hate these terrible questions

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I prefer a rocking chair. I hate it when I'm lying there motionless.

trick question; interviewer's lap is the correct answer

Correct answer: Pick up rocking chair, place on top of couch. Sit in rocking chair. Turn to interviewer and say "What does this tell you about me?"

because your choice will tell me a lot about you?

---what are you look for from this question? For me, my choice will depend on the different situations....

Honestly, I don't see how this type of question has anything to do with what kind of person you are. There is healthy way to sit (straight up without much arch in your lower back) and there is unhealthy way..... For me, sitting in a couch gives me better/healthier way for my lower back than a rocking chair would

I think people are looking too deeply into questions. Just pick whatever you want. It's...a...piece...of...furniture.

I think your answer should be creative and witty. Anything to be remembered by the interviewer.

A good example--I was asked if I could sit next to any person in history on the plane ride home, who would i sit by?

I said "Abraham lincoln because I am a huge fan of civil war history and the bla bla bla about abe and how much i love him as a historical figure. Plus with his long legs, im betting the flight attendent would bump us up to first class for some extra leg room!

What's ironic is that for the couch or rocking chair question, my choice would be rocking chair because people are always moving on the couch and you have to conform to thier actions, where a rocking chair allows you to control the movement of your chair and can sit according to your own will.

The bottom line is I don't think there is a right answer to these types of questions--just make it meaningful.

I actually had this question asked to me at an interview, the interviewer left out the part "because your decision will tell me a lot about you". Actually there were 3 options: rocking chair, couch, and desk chair.

I said "I think I will choose the desk chair so that I am not distracting by rocking back and forth" That and the couch was further away from the interviewer and a little low so I didn't want to be awkwardly far away.

I wouldn't look too much into it. Just sit down and don't fidget no matter which place you choose.

This really is a dumb question... maybe they're just using it as an ice breaker. But what if they are willing to accept anyone they invited to an interview... and will only accept those who choose to sit in one place or another.

example:

interviewee: "Oh, I'll sit in the chair."
Interviewer: "Well ... that's all we needed, good luck in the future".