Interview Question at M.D. Schools: Did you apply to D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adjouga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if M.D. schools will ask me on my interview, Did you apply to D.O. schools as well? And if so, why?

I heard they look down on D.O. (and you) for applying to D.O. schools.

What would you guys respond?

Members don't see this ad.

id lie, they cant find out

I was asked, I said "no" and gave the honest answer that I didn't know where I'd be in a decade or what I would want to practice and I didn't want to close any doors before I was even admitted.

The interviewer seemed satisfied with the response and then we started talking about the history of DO schools in California.

I don't think the interviewer meant it as a loaded question; I think he was just curious to see what a Californian thought of the DO option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if M.D. schools will ask me on my interview, Did you apply to D.O. schools as well? And if so, why?

That's definitely not true, or at least in most cases. The times I've been asked that question, it was usually to test if I was committed to medicine. Like say my stats weren't good enough and the only way for me to become a doctor was through doing DO. Also another time one of my interviewer's wife was a DO. But he didn't tell me that before he asked me what I thought about the profession. I was truthful about what I thought of DO's, that there's nothing wrong with going that route, and I was accepted into that school. I suppose there can always be others that hold prejudices against DO's and if you get them as an interviewer that might change things, but ultimately just tell them what you truly, personally think.

Oh and I also said no too, but I didn't say my reason was because people looked down upon DO's.

That's definitely not true, or at least in most cases. The times I've been asked that question, it was usually to test if I was committed to medicine. Like say my stats weren't good enough and the only way for me to become a doctor was through doing DO. Also another time one of my interviewer's wife was a DO. But he didn't tell me that before he asked me what I thought about the profession. I was truthful about what I thought of DO's, that there's nothing wrong with going that route, and I was accepted into that school. I suppose there can always be others that hold prejudices against DO's and if you get them as an interviewer that might change things, but ultimately just tell them what you truly, personally think.

Oh and I also said no too, but I didn't say my reason was because people looked down upon DO's.

I want to add that many of your interviewers work alongside DOs. It would be extremely odd for them to have pent up hostility toward them.

I want to add that many of your interviewers work alongside DOs. It would be extremely odd for them to have pent up hostility toward them.

Oh yeah, definitely. While I was shadowing a good portion of the residents were DO's. You couldn't really tell the difference..

id lie, they cant find out

why would you lie about applying to DO schools? What would that accomplish? They dont care.

Ive never been asked flat out, but I have been asked where I applied and I have always mentioned that I applied to DO schools as well. Each time it has led to a good conversation about osteopathic medicine.

The bolded statemenet is a steaming pile of cow dung. Whoever told you that either a) has a chip on their shoulder for some reason or b) is an idiot. I was accepted to both of the schools where I mentioned DO programs, and as I said we actually had a good conversation about osteopathic medicine.

Oh yeah, definitely. While I was shadowing a good portion of the residents were DO's. You couldn't really tell the difference..
What's up with the McGill experience in your MDapp? What were you doing all the way over there?

Congrats, BTW!

this_will_not_end_well.sized.jpg

:laugh:

I'd say this is a very very rare question at MD schools but perhaps a more common kind of question at DO schools. Nobody I know was ever asked this question when I applied. Few MD schools care about anything other than what other MD schools you are applying. It is rare enough that I probably wouldn't concern yourself with it.

This came up sort of indirectly during my UNC interview which was with the dean incidentally. I mentioned that I applied to some DO schools as well and he asked me if I would go to one of them if I didn't get into UNC. I told him that I am committed to becoming a physician and if I didn't get into UNC I would definitely be attending a DO school. It was a good conversation and wasn't negative in any way.

I was asked "So which other schools did you apply to?" at a few different interviews. I named both the MD and DO schools to which I applied. A couple of MD schools seemed surprised that I applied DO, but then proceeded to talk about how the DO degree is equally respected nowadays. I think it only helps you because it shows that you are committed to becoming a physician and not caught up in the "prestige" of the MD degree.

yeah ill be applying both - figure the interviewers know that you probably applied DO as well? I mean most DO schools require a DO lor. If you add that to mediocre stats I'm sure they'd get the picture.

I was asked "So which other schools did you apply to?" at a few different interviews. I named both the MD and DO schools to which I applied. A couple of MD schools seemed surprised that I applied DO, but then proceeded to talk about how the DO degree is equally respected nowadays. I think it only helps you because it shows that you are committed to becoming a physician and not caught up in the "prestige" of the MD degree.
That's what I always figured. No shame in hiding your commitment towards becoming a physician.

Now, if they ask if I've applied Caribbean :scared:
:laugh:

I was asked this question during my interview at the school where I currently attend. The answer was yes, and moreover, I had already been accepted at the DO school. Obviously, giving this information wasn't to my detriment.

Yeah. It might be the best the internet has to offer.

Agreed. That made my day....

And about the post, I was asked. But it was in the context of "what will you do if you don't get in?", and I said of course I would apply DO. But I'm young and not opposed to applying MD for a while to begin with. I got in that school so I guess it wasn't as "loaded" a question as people make it out to be.