Interview question has me stumped please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anmol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you know you will succed in medical school!!! quick please help, how do I answer this????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can see the future. You don't know if you will succeed or not. Talk about why you think you will be successful. Comment on past experiences and successes that indicate that you will be a good student. Don't come across as being arrogant. Don't say "I will be successful because..." Say "I will be a good student because..." or something along those lines.

just my $.02

WannabeDO

Answer this question with some personal insight. If there is one thing interviewers hate is a canned answer. Look into your past successes and make sure you show them you have the drive and motivation to succeed. That is what they are looking for because they don't want you to drop out.
Good luck! You will do fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
I actually asked a communications prof. about a similar question after one of my interviews. She said that when you're applying for school/job, you can never say that you want "whatever" too much. She said whenever the opportunity arises in an interview, to emphasize you are ultimate commitment is to become a doctor. Combining this with assurance of your motivation and perseverence (quickly cite examples from app.) are what she recommends as best. If anybody else has any other suggestions, i'd love to hear them too! I hate this whole "sell yourself" thing:(

Originally posted by WannabeDO
Don't come across as being arrogant. Don't say "I will be successful because..." Say "I will be a good student because..." or something along those lines.

WannabeDO

I disagree. True, don't be arrogant...there are more than enough arrogant premeds and medical students around and the admissions people have seen them all.

If someone asked me "How do you know you will succeed in medical school?", my answer would be short and sweet. Becoming a physician is all I have ever wanted to do. When you want something so strongly and you are so excited about something, it's impossible to fail.

I would then back up my response with reasons why I want to be there, maybe referencing some other times in my life when I have succeeded despite the odds (doing well on the MCAT when I was told I had a learning disability due to my SAT scores...who ever took the SATs seriously anyway?)

When it comes to medical school applications, don't be arrogant...I will agree with that. But you need to show confidence. You need to come across like you belong at that school. You need to act like you are the best candidate for medical school in the country, without saying that of course, and without bashing other people. Never fall into the "well my friend who got a 33 on his MCAT will definately do well, and I think I can probably do OK too." I actually know someone who said that. Idiot.

It's all about "I will succeed because _____."

Not, "I think I will do well because _____."

There's no thinking about it.

Attending medical school is all about thinking.

Getting INTO medical school is all about passion.

Best of luck to you.

I think that the key really is to emphasize that you are excited and really want to be a physician more than anything else in the world. The committees aren't asking you questions to make you look dumb... most of them are offering you an opportunity to tell about yourself.

With regards to the statement of "I will be a good student..." I think that the best thing you can do is emphasize that medical school is simply the method necessary to becoming a physician. Adcoms aren't looking for people who will make good students... They're looking for people who will make good physicians. You'll be a good student because ultimately your desire is to be a great doctor.

Just my opinion...

John

I agree with all of you. I guess I was trying to get anmol to avoid making an ass of herself in an interview (although I don't think she will). All I'm trying to say is back up the things you say in the interview with facts and history about yourself. Don't make empty statements. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

WannabeDO

i would maybe touch on the idea that you are interviewing for med school-- that in and of itself should make you feel pretty impressed/proud/confident. I didn't have a ton of family (sibling) support so when i interviewed for the first time i felt like i had really achieved something- and would continue to achieve academically. In my interviews I told them i will be an excellent physician because in my heart i know that to be true.
You could use this as a opportunity to tap into the individual school's curriculum-- for example, "i really learn well when information is presented systems based", or "i understand that the curric. is _____ and i feel that this style of learning is when i am at my best"-- pretty much saying that this school and the way it teaches will contribute to my success.