Interview Question - how many medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I applied to over 50 medical schools (might have been a mistake) and get asked how many I applied to in my interview, how should I frame my answer? I feel like applying to so many shows a lack of confidence or increasing chance that you might attend elsewhere, which certainly wouldn't help in an interview.

Can medical schools see how many you apply too? Or any advice from people who have faced this in an interview before?

Members don't see this ad.

If I applied to over 50 medical schools (might have been a mistake) and get asked how many I applied to in my interview, how should I frame my answer? I feel like applying to so many shows a lack of confidence or increasing chance that you might attend elsewhere, which certainly wouldn't help in an interview. Can medical schools see how many you apply too? Or any advice from people who have faced this in an interview before?
No, medical schools don't have access to this data. Your interviewer will only know what you tell them. Since the goal for interviewees is to appear like normal people, I would recommend not telling them that you've applied to over 50 schools. Saying >20 is sufficient imo.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
No, medical schools don't have access to this data. Your interviewer will only know what you tell them. Since the goal for interviewees is to appear like normal people, I would recommend not telling them that you've applied to over 50 schools. Saying >20 is sufficient imo.
Thank you! I just hope it won't look weird if they ask me how many and I say over 20, don't want to seem like I'm being deceptively vague....is this even a common question that will be asked in your experience?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I just hope it won't look weird if they ask me how many and I say over 20, don't want to seem like I'm being deceptively vague....is this even a common question that will be asked in your experience?
I got asked this once, which was surprising to me because I feel like that isn't something an interviewer should ask. Ended up saying 20 to 30. Just be prepped for it I guess, although I feel this isn't a common Q

Reactions: 4 users
The older I get, the more I am convinced that telling the truth is the best policy. State the number of schools you actually applied to with confidence and be done with it. AdComs know that applicants apply to a large number of schools anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
The older I get, the more I am convinced that telling the truth is the best policy. State the number of schools you actually applied to with confidence and be done with it. AdComs know that applicants apply to a large number of schools anyway.

I like thinking that AdComs are people too, but at the same time I know this is all some game. Everyone is pretending to be the most perfect and most humane version of themselves, when in reality we have flaw like everyone but I'm worried to address them.

If I'm applying to 45 schools because I'm not confident in my ability that's fine, but lord knows I'm not gonna say that.

how much did applying to 50 schools cost you??

Reactions: 1 user
I like thinking that AdComs are people too, but at the same time I know this is all some game. Everyone is pretending to be the most perfect and most humane version of themselves, when in reality we have flaw like everyone but I'm worried to address them.

If I'm applying to 45 schools because I'm not confident in my ability that's fine, but lord knows I'm not gonna say that.

I think it depends on how you frame it. I wouldn't say I'm applying to 45 schools because I'm not confident in my ability... I would say something more like I'm applying to over 20 schools because it's a competitive process, and I'm extremely passionate about becoming a doctor/medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
I got asked this once, which was surprising to me because I feel like that isn't something an interviewer should ask. Ended up saying 20 to 30. Just be prepped for it I guess, although I feel this isn't a common Q

So you basically lied? Just looking at your sig which says 44 but I guess they don't really know how many after all

I think it depends on how you frame it. I wouldn't say I'm applying to 45 schools because I'm not confident in my ability... I would say something more like I'm applying to over 20 schools because it's a competitive process, and I'm extremely passionate about becoming a doctor/medicine.

Great call, I will definitely frame it this way if asked

It is definitely best to tell the truth, but saying you applied to over 20 schools is not lying even if you applied to 150 schools. I might even say that I applied to a lot of schools and see if they were satisfied with that answer.

So you basically lied? Just looking at your sig which says 44 but I guess they don't really know how many after all

Great call, I will definitely frame it this way if asked
To be exactly I said "at least 20 or 30". I tried to he vague, because I knew if I said 44 or so schools he would ding me. It was a local state school so I am sure they yield protect against applicants with a lot of schools.

Can interviewers ask which schools and when you are interviewing? What is the best way of answering that question?
Is it possible to avoid listing schools?

Can interviewers ask which schools and when you are interviewing? What is the best way of answering that question?
Is it possible to avoid listing schools?
One of my interviewers asked this and I responded with “I am not comfortable sharing which schools I have interviews at, but this is my fifth interview thus far.”

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I am not sure how I should have responded but I think I did the right/a good way?
It can really be uncomfortable for an applicant II'ing at a school he likes to tell them where else their II's are, especially (not in your case memes) if youre at a state school and your other II's are t20 lol.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I am not sure how I should have responded but I think I did the right/a good way?
well, it's not entirely stupid. Sometimes people are just curious. I think your answer, if it's exactly worded as you said, may come across a little blunt. Being diplomatic is essential. If I were you, I would just answer it quite vaguely such as "I have interviews at schools up and down the rankings, but I am so excited about your school..."

I got this question framed as: "share what you're comfortable with: how many schools did you apply to, what did you look for in schools..."

I didn't address the first question, rather I said I applied to schools that shared xyz mission or are in xyz area

well, it's not entirely stupid. Sometimes people are just curious. I think your answer, if it's exactly worded as you said, may come across a little blunt. Being diplomatic is essential. If I were you, I would just answer it quite vaguely such as "I have interviews at schools up and down the rankings, but I am so excited about your school..."

I don't think I'd bring up rankings in my answer, though, in case they think you're rank obsessed

I don't think I'd bring up rankings in my answer, though, in case they think you're rank obsessed
Yeah, I would say across the board, or something like that. It's really not an uncomfortable situation. It happens ALL THE TIME in real world interviews.

Were it integrated into a conversation about school choice and location I probably would’ve expanded, but it was in the middle of a “Reading your application....trajectory....now you are here” type of speech the guy gave at the beginning, so it was more just like the first question he asked of me and it was so he could contextualize me, I guess? Not certain, but yah my response seems a little blunt.

Were it integrated into a conversation about school choice and location I probably would’ve expanded, but it was in the middle of a “Reading your application....trajectory....now you are here” type of speech the guy gave at the beginning, so it was more just like the first question he asked of me and it was so he could contextualize me, I guess? Not certain, but yah my response seems a little blunt.

My experiences in interviews over the years have been that there are many different styles. Some people love to come on strong and put you in a box right away. Some love to ease interviewees into a comfortable spot. That guy seemed to jump in right away. I am sure you had plenty time afterwards to charm him up lol. I could only surmise from that first sentence.

I straight up got asked how many interviews I had. I just said “I’ve been fortunate enough to get a few, including this one.” Then he kind of nodded and went on to something else...

Reactions: 8 users
I straight up got asked how many interviews I had. I just said “I’ve been fortunate enough to get a few, including this one.” Then he kind of nodded and went on to something else...

+1; though I worry it's because my answers sounded rehearsed..."you been on a couple of these before?" :oops:

One of my interviewers asked this and I responded with “I am not comfortable sharing which schools I have interviews at, but this is my fifth interview thus far.”
I'm not sure you achieved your goal of relaying how well your stats match with this school and expressed how much you would like to attend/be accepted by them. I am always trying to gauge how enthusiastic an applicant is to attend our school vs my school being plan B. If I get the sense of being Plan B, I have allowed some higher stat applicants to attend their top choice and endorsed some more enthusiastic applicants. We, like most med schools are not short on good applicants. I kind of like the greater than 20 school response. Its benign, doesnt lend toward neurosis or being desperate. 50 schools makes me think " well, just how interested in my school are you"? After all, the applicant needs to sell themselves, I should not have to sell my school. The applicant should know about my school and feel it might be a good fit, otherwise, why apply?

I'm not sure you achieved your goal of relaying how well your stats match with this school and expressed how much you would like to attend/be accepted by them. I am always trying to gauge how enthusiastic an applicant is to attend our school vs my school being plan B. If I get the sense of being Plan B, I have allowed some higher stat applicants to attend their top choice and endorsed some more enthusiastic applicants. We, like most med schools are not short on good applicants. I kind of like the greater than 20 school response. Its benign, doesnt lend toward neurosis or being desperate. 50 schools makes me think " well, just how interested in my school are you"? After all, the applicant needs to sell themselves, I should not have to sell my school. The applicant should know about my school and feel it might be a good fit, otherwise, why apply?
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you stated about answering “how many schools I applied to”, but I did not feel like he needed me to list off the specific schools I had interviewed at as @Engrailed’s question was (which I was replying towards) so i changed my answer around to how many I had interviewed at as opposed to which ones. If asked “What schools have you interviewed at” would a better answer have been a lie or a vague “I have interviewed at several similarly ranked schools”? I guess that would have been a lie too lol but still?

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you stated about answering “how many schools I applied to”, but I did not feel like he needed me to list off the specific schools I had interviewed at as @Engrailed’s question was (which I was replying towards) so i changed my answer around to how many I had interviewed at as opposed to which ones. If asked “What schools have you interviewed at” would a better answer have been a lie or a vague “I have interviewed at several similarly ranked schools”? I guess that would have been a lie too lol but still?
I think simply “i have interviewed at x schools but i am excited to be here because -insert fit reason and why you applied-“ is good enough. Idt mentioning ranks at all is the right way to go about it

Reactions: 5 users
I think simply “i have interviewed at x schools but i am excited to be here because -insert fit reason and why you applied-“ is good enough. Idt mentioning ranks at all is the right way to go about it
That is what I figured, and why I didn’t answer as such. I don’t know, to me the “insert fit reason and why applied” portion feels like I would be expanding on the scope of the question, no? I suppose I am big on just directly answering questions, telling stories as they appear fitting, but not really on throwing in “why I applied here specifically.” Feels more like a politicians answer or something like that. Has my mode of operation been incorrect? Oh well, if so.

That is what I figured, and why I didn’t answer as such. I don’t know, to me the “insert fit reason and why applied” portion feels like I would be expanding on the scope of the question, no? I suppose I am big on just directly answering questions, telling stories as they appear fitting, but not really on throwing in “why I applied here specifically.” Feels more like a politicians answer or something like that. Has my mode of operation been incorrect? Oh well, if so.
Imo, they ask those q’s to see not only quality of candidate as perceived by other schools, but to make sure as angus said that they arent some plan b or that you arent haphazardly applying without any real cause for selection besides stats. Super cliche lol. Ultimately if youre honest and say you have 15 ii theyre gunna prob think why tf is this kid gunna come here and perhaps WL you. But if you say i have 15ii but im excited to here cuz of xyz it just sounds like they arent just another school to you and you had reasons to apply here other than stats

Imo, they ask those q’s to see not only quality of candidate as perceived by other schools, but to make sure as angus said that they arent some plan b or that you arent haphazardly applying without any real cause for selection besides stats. Super cliche lol. Ultimately if youre honest and say you have 15 ii theyre gunna prob think why tf is this kid gunna come here and perhaps WL you. But if you say i have 15ii but im excited to here cuz of xyz it just sounds like they arent just another school to you and you had reasons to apply here other than stats
I can dig that. Change modus operandi moving forward!

• Love
Interviewer then started talking about how there is really no difference where you go when comparing all of these schools and that there was not much special about the school I was interviewing at. It was very odd. Not too surprised because they were the type of interviewer who was typing notes the entire time and reeling off questions.

You know what’s kind of funny? I’ve had two similar interactions at my interviews so far. One interviewer (structure was such that I only knew his first name and not his credentials, but I’m pretty sure he was a community physician, not faculty) basically was like “Yeah, the University of X is great but I should tell you that you will get an exceptional education anywhere you go. But we hope you pick this school, etc.”

I didn’t mind the slight self-deprecation/humility - it was actually kind of refreshing. I got the sense they were being real with me, and it put me at ease.

You know what’s kind of funny? I’ve had two similar interactions at my interviews so far. One interviewer (structure was such that I only knew his first name and not his credentials, but I’m pretty sure he was a community physician, not faculty) basically was like “Yeah, the University of X is great but I should tell you that you will get an exceptional education anywhere you go. But we hope you pick this school, etc.”

I didn’t mind the slight self-deprecation/humility - it was actually kind of refreshing. I got the sense they were being real with me, and it put me at ease.

At the end of the day, it's all about what feels right to yourself. If you want prestige, go for it. If you want location, go for it. If you want affordability, go for it. There's just no wrong answer about why you choose to go to a particular school. Level of education is mostly the same across the board regardless of ranking, because the curriculums all have to be approved and schools all have to be accredited. USNews rankings are completely arbitrary.

If I applied to over 50 medical schools (might have been a mistake) and get asked how many I applied to in my interview, how should I frame my answer?
Just tell the truth

I feel like applying to so many shows a lack of confidence or increasing chance that you might attend elsewhere, which certainly wouldn't help in an interview.
Rather, it shows alack of understanding of where you should be applying

Can medical schools see how many you apply too?
No

How about saying like this,

I have applied to those number of schools, more than 10 schools where I feel comfortable with the curriculum/research and the possibility of interviews

Why is everyone so afraid to tell the truth.......

Really seems like another red vs blue tie argument. Being a non STEM major, I never understood the whole premeds are neurotic and over analyze everything, but man with every interview I attend or post I read..... its all starting to make sense.

Really seems like another red vs blue tie argument. Being a non STEM major, I never understood the whole premeds are neurotic and over analyze everything, but man with every interview I attend or post I read..... its all starting to make sense.

You're better than us :bow:

• Wow
  • Love
@71650 I am just curious how much time did you spent on application submissions to 50 schools? (I know you mentioned if to # of schools but you might have did it :))

So you just lied?? Haha. Im going to start doing this if they ask inappropriate questions.

So you just lied?? Haha. Im going to start doing this if they ask inappropriate questions.
I said "at least" so room for error lol. It was a school that would definitely frown if they knew I applied to alot.

• Haha
Yeah, well, it's probably a great future CASPer situation. Now that the schools have lost whatever visibility they used to have into where else you applied, it's an arguably inappropriate way for them to gather intelligence and gauge your level of interest.

The ethical and moral thing to do is call the interviewer out on it. What's your tolerance for confrontation and an almost certain R by refusing to answer an "inappropriate" question, versus telling the truth and risking the R if the truth calls your level of commitment to the school in question? How bad is lying under those circumstances???

The answer will be different for everyone, depending on what their other options are and how comfortable they are challenging the authority of the interviewer, or being less than fully forthcoming if they deem it to be in their best interest. :)

Yeah, well, it's probably a great future CASPer situation. Now that the schools have lost whatever visibility they used to have into where else you applied, it's an arguably inappropriate way for them to gather intelligence and gauge your level of interest.

The ethical and moral thing to do is call the interviewer out on it. What's your tolerance for confrontation and an almost certain R by refusing to answer an "inappropriate" question, versus telling the truth and risking the R if the truth calls your level of commitment to the school in question? How bad is lying under those circumstances???

The answer will be different for everyone, depending on what their other options are and how comfortable they are challenging the authority of the interviewer, or being less than fully forthcoming if they deem it to be in their best interest. :)
Some interviewers have no place interviewing. An interviewee might give a vague answer deliberately to avoid lying but an interviewer might continue down an inappropriate line of questioning.

Since the interviewer is the advocate of the interviewee for the admissions committee, it is of the interviewees best interest to please them.

I should emphasize on a moral level I disagree with lying and I do not agree with the ends justifying the means but in high stress scenarios that start from an unfair place (namely an interviewer asking inappropriate question) I can see how many would lie

What don't you understand? It's a pretty unique situation where a significant number of highly qualified candidates are shut out every year due to a supply/demand imbalance!!! Of course we Type As are going to be freaking out until we achieve a successful outcome.

You are doing very well, so the neuroses are maybe not natural for you. Maybe you should level the playing field by being overly truthful and telling the 9 schools where you have IIs that are not your first choice among the 10 where they stand, take your chances with the one, and see how neurotic you aren't while waiting for your decisions. I bet it would really make a lot of sense to you then!!! :)

Last edited:
If I applied to over 50 medical schools (might have been a mistake) and get asked how many I applied to in my interview, how should I frame my answer? I feel like applying to so many shows a lack of confidence or increasing chance that you might attend elsewhere, which certainly wouldn't help in an interview.

Can medical schools see how many you apply too? Or any advice from people who have faced this in an interview before?

These kind of questions are usually only asked by poor interviewers. The best answers to these kinds of questions are very politician-like. Say a lot about the competitive atmosphere, but that it has been a really cool experience to meet different people and get out of your comfort zone. Then if they press the issue, the answer is 20 haha.

Cheers,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Lol just catching up on recent posts now.
Seems like this thread has been on fire today

:flame:

These kind of questions are usually only asked by poor interviewers. The best answers to these kinds of questions are very politician-like. Say a lot about the competitive atmosphere, but that it has been a really cool experience to meet different people and get out of your comfort zone. Then if they press the issue, the answer is 20 haha.

Cheers,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Completely agree. It has nothing to do with truth here. Would they honestly answer our questions about how many candidates they interviewed and how they would rank them and where they would rank us??? NO! So what's this one-way deal?

Completely agree. It has nothing to do with truth here. Would they honestly answer our questions about how many candidates they interviewed and how they would rank them and where they would rank us??? NO! So what's this one-way deal?
I think most would answer how many they interviewed but it's not really relevant since you're up against all the interviewees at the school, not just the ones that particular interviewer had. More relevant would be how many interviews the school extends each cycle and that number is often times published online or included in the interview day presentation.

I think it would be very rare for an interviewer to ask you to rank the schools you've interviewed at. The closest ive gotten is a "what are your thoughts" type question about how I will be deciding between schools. For this I pretty much always mentioned at least mentioned financial aid/scholarships 1.) Because it was honest, 2.) Because most practicing physiciand (ie. The interviewers) would view this as showing good judgement, and 3.) Because if there was any chance the interviewer might jot down a note that $$$ was important to me then I figured it could help with getting a scholarship from that school later down the line.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

I think most would answer how many they interviewed but it's not really relevant since you're up against all the interviewees at the school, not just the ones that particular interviewer had. More relevant would be how many interviews the school extends each cycle and that number is often times published online or included in the interview day presentation.

I think it would be very rare for an interviewer to ask you to rank the schools you've interviewed at. The closest ive gotten is a "what are your thoughts" type question about how I will be deciding between schools. For this I pretty much always mentioned at least mentioned financial aid/scholarships 1.) Because it was honest, 2.) Because most practicing physiciand (ie. The interviewers) would view this as showing good judgement, and 3.) Because if there was any chance the interviewer might jot down a note that $$$ was important to me then I figured it could help with getting a scholarship from that school later down the line.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile
I totally agree with all of your points regarding $$$, but, you should realize you are failing to mention one important downside -- if you tell them that money is a factor and they don't want to give you any, you very well might be costing yourself the A. No biggie if you weren't going to matriculate without it, but, otherwise, you might be shooting yourself in the foot while making a pitch for $$$.

You can see how many people interview in MSAR...this is not a secret.

Telling a candidate how they would be ranked or scored would be an invitation to be sued.

I don't know why y'all are treating this question of "how many schools" as if it's a third rail. It wouldn't be lethal for me as an interviewer even if someone said "all 40 DO schools and all 140 MD schools".

I'll tell you what would be a third rail...any hint of copping an attitude, like saying "I'm not comfortable answering that question". I'd reject that candidate before leaving the the interview room.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
You can see how many people interview in MSAR...this is not a secret.

Telling a candidate how they would be ranked or scored would be an invitation to be sued.

I don't know why y'all are treating this question of "how many schools" as if it's a third rail. It wouldn't be lethal for me as an interviewer even if someone said "all 40 DO schools and all 140 MD schools".

I'll tell you what would be a third rail...any hint of copping an attitude, like saying "I'm not comfortable answering that question". I'd reject that candidate before leaving the the interview room.
I was using that as a way of comparison. Completely agree with you on the point that no one should be judged by how many schools they apply. Everyone knows it's a very competitive process and so be it. As an attorney, I understand the defamation, slander/libel causes of action and agree that no one would like to open this can of worms.

how you answer that question is a form of delivery and in and of itself is an assessment on how you handle certain uncomfortable situations. I think everyone should act as graciously and gracefully as possible in that situation. Be diplomatic and acknowledge your good fortune when you have many interviews and direct the conversation gently to why you want to attend this particular school where you are interviewing.

• Love