Interview Question-- please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar123

Reaction score
I am preparing for an interview in mid-February. It is my top program.

The interview offer includes a bit about a presentation that says, "During your interview, you will be required to give a short 10 minute presentation on any topic of your choice."

I read this to mean, quite literally, any topic of choice. I was talking with some people and they said to make it as memorable as possible. I would like to do something totally different and non-pharmacy related, but I am nervous that this might not be what they are looking for. However, if it is different in a positive way, it may make me stand out... could I be upfront and ask RPD?

For reference it is a large academic medical center affiliated with a university.

Looking for thoughts and advice from current residents, pharmacists, preceptors, RPDs and the likes. I really want to let my creativity shine here, without ruining my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

you already posted this same question. you can present on literally anything and can't come up with a single topic? look back at some of your rotation presentations/cases. don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to. Standing out is nice but sometimes it's best to stand out by really knowing your topic.
I wouldn't ask the RPD, they don't want to hold your hand. the purpose it to see what you do with it. just go for it.
good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you what I would do. I would definitely do it on a nonpharmacy topic, but one that I knew very very well. Ultimately there's no way you can predict what they're "really" looking for. Just do what feels right to you, and if that's not what they were looking for, it wasn't a good fit anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a current resident, and I would recommend doing it on something non pharmacy. Usually the point of the presentation is to not only see your presentation skills, but to get to know you as a person.

Last year I had to do the same thing, so I presented on a recent trip to Asia I took. I made it like a travel guide of places to see, food to try, how to get around etc. Someone in my group did a presentation on the benefits of cross fit exercise and another person presented on their previous career in children education.

I would say have fun with it and be creative! Definitely do something you can talk a lot about, because it will be easier to present and you’ll feel more confident! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a current resident, and I would recommend doing it on something non pharmacy. Usually the point of the presentation is to not only see your presentation skills, but to get to know you as a person.

Last year I had to do the same thing, so I presented on a recent trip to Asia I took. I made it like a travel guide of places to see, food to try, how to get around etc. Someone in my group did a presentation on the benefits of cross fit exercise and another person presented on their previous career in children education.

I would say have fun with it and be creative! Definitely do something you can talk a lot about, because it will be easier to present and you’ll feel more confident! Good luck!
thank you!!!

Do a pharmacy topic. It's like putting hobbies on your CV, no one cares. Think about it, you want to go into a pharmacy residency and will be presenting on pharmacy/medical topics. The competency the RPD is most likely looking for is the ability to present a pharmacy/medical topic at level that is congruent with most incoming residents.

I’m a current resident, and I would recommend doing it on something non pharmacy. Usually the point of the presentation is to not only see your presentation skills, but to get to know you as a person..

Do NOT talk about a recent trip. If it is a non-pharmacy topic, it better be one where you are able to cite and analyze evidence, so we can evaluate your literature evaluation skills. I think out of those non-pharmacy topics, Crossfit might be an OK topic, if you try to analyze benefits vs. injury risk.