Interview Question problem - Ie whyd u do the DAT? and not the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals
Ill be honest, I was pursuing dent at first, it didnt work out for me. So now im applying to pod (mind you ive shadowed and all etc)

Some questions from interview that might be of a concern:

(1) Should I admit that i was pursuing dent? is this looked at as a negative point

Leads to this Q:

(2) DATs? Why not the MCAT?

(3) Why change from Dent to Pod? or = why pod... I hate this question!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals
Ill be honest, I was pursuing dent at first, it didnt work out for me. So now im applying to pod (mind you ive shadowed and all etc)

Some questions from interview that might be of a concern:

(1) Should I admit that i was pursuing dent? is this looked at as a negative point

Leads to this Q:

(2) DATs? Why not the MCAT?

(3) Why change from Dent to Pod? or = why pod... I hate this question!

If the interviewer is worth a darn, all of the topics above will be asked. Why? If you just want to be a doc by any means that is not a great applicant. (I'm not saying that is you. It is a general statement)

They accept the DAT and the MCAT for entrance exams, so I don't see the problem. Tell them that you didn't feel like your physics was up to snuff for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just state the truth. You probably took the DAT before you knew much about podiatry. I took the MCAT back when it was just twice a year and almost everyone just studied hard and took it once, but it appears that things have changed. Now, the MCAT is different, but assuming you are trying to gain acceptance for this fall, it's probably still pretty late to try to study for and take the MCAT. Just tell them that. If you believe that you could succeed in many health professions but have recently been learning about and intrigued by the podiatry specialty, state that.

I agree that if a school states that they will accept DAT for admissions, then you should have no problem. I would certainly make sure you know the curriculum and what a podiatrist does and be able to describe a routine day, though. A LOR or two from local podiatrists stating that you spent time shadowing them, seemed genuinely interested, and asked good questions would go a long way to help in your case. You need to convince them you are interested and will apply yourself in pod school.

To do well in a program for 4 years, it takes a lot more dedication than just inspiration or $$$ signs in the eyes. Everyone is excited to start a medical program at first, but the initial inspiration part starts to leave around midterms weeks of second semester [;)]. The sleep and study schedules are physically and mentally exhausting, so you really need to be interested in what you are learning. The 1st year spring and the 2nd year summer and fall will usually separate the proverbial men from the boys in terms of GPA or even failing out versus moving on in the program...

thanks you all,
however the move from dent to pod? what would your answer be, (ive noticed that many feedbacks for schools like scholl, people were asked why the move from dent)

thanks you all,
however the move from dent to pod? what would your answer be, (ive noticed that many feedbacks for schools like scholl, people were asked why the move from dent)

What is the truth??? I wouldn't take a poll and answer the interviewer like it is Family Feud.

What is the truth??? I wouldn't take a poll and answer the interviewer like it is Family Feud.

But then again, it is February, the time when there is a sudden surge in applicants and ppl begin the shotgun method of applying to other graduate programs after not hearing anything back from their first choices :laugh:

PLEASE....
take note that ALL PODIATRY SCHOOLS now REQUIRE the MCAT. No more DAT!

I wish that was the case footfetish! But even when applying for the class of 2012 this fall, 2 pod schools will definitely take the DAT and one I'm pretty sure will take it as well. Definitely should be MCAT only though.

As far as the original post goes...I think that it is important to be honest. If the reason for the switch is genuine, that should come off in the interview. I'm interviewing at Scholl next month and I am sure that I will be asked why I switched from the DO path. I just plan on trying to convey my current sincere interest in podiatry. Things change. They are aware of that.

As far as the DAT and MCAT, I hope they switch over to only accepting the MCAT. No one loves that test and thinks "gee, I can't wait to take it." But, taking it does show your committment to medicine. The people who really want it, will take it. I had a friend who went to chiropractic school only because he didn't want to have to put in the effort to take the MCAT. So, in a way, it might separate out the serious students from the less than serious.