Interview Question: Tell us about yourself.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sky diving was the best high ive ever had in my life ;) :D

oh me too without a doubt :thumbup:

so if this is the first question they ask you.. should you go ahead and say hi my name is x and i attend x university and study x and then go on and describe what you love to do/interesting stuff or will that make you should stupid that you are introducing yourself when they have that information right in front of them (thinking ohio specifically)??

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering that too.

I was planning on doing "I'm from X, graduated from Y recently, and majored in Z, and here's why I chose that major (reasons, complete with back up plan).

Outside of the classroom I enjoy (items and bringing them around to relate to vet med/stress relief)"

But I was unsure if they'd fall asleep or not during the first part since, as said, they already have all that in front of them.

i had a whole schpeel (sp?) written out beforehand and rehearsed (so that it sounded a lot more natural... plus a little acting on the spot to make it seem like i was coming up with it more or less impromptu)

i put it together for my mock interview with my undergrad's pre-health committee and got good feedback. it's a bit long, but i used the whole thing for my penn interview and they didn't seem at all phased that i went on for a while. i figured that if they wanted to interrupt int he middle it would...and if they seem to get bored, i would cut some stuff out.

and the great thing is, if they don't ask that as the first question, you can use parts of it to answer a bunch of other questions!

if you'd like, i'd be more than happy to pm what i had to you to give you an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you'd like, i'd be more than happy to pm what i had to you to give you an idea.

That'd be appreciated. Did you use it in your OSU interview too? If so, it evidently works lol.

I wrote mine out too and have been practicing it. Also wrote out the 'Why OSU' question and 'Why do you want to be a vet' question. Figured I may as well prepare for the ones that are more or less 'givens'.

i had a whole schpeel (sp?) written out beforehand and rehearsed (so that it sounded a lot more natural... plus a little acting on the spot to make it seem like i was coming up with it more or less impromptu)

i put it together for my mock interview with my undergrad's pre-health committee and got good feedback. it's a bit long, but i used the whole thing for my penn interview and they didn't seem at all phased that i went on for a while. i figured that if they wanted to interrupt int he middle it would...and if they seem to get bored, i would cut some stuff out.

and the great thing is, if they don't ask that as the first question, you can use parts of it to answer a bunch of other questions!

I'd love to see too. Considering you were successful x2!
Of course, in this case "love to see" can be translated to "become asian, and steal minnerbelle's identity and her admission offer from Ohio"
But who wants to get that specific about it?
Congrats, btw, if I didn't say it already!

Of course, in this case "love to see" can be translated to "become asian, and steal minnerbelle's identity and her admission offer from Ohio"

haha :laugh: i second that :thumbup:

I'd love to see too. Considering you were successful x2!
Congrats, btw, if I didn't say it already!

haha, maybe we should bring that eggs 'n bacon (or cheese or muffins i don't remember) guy back on the forum :p

speaking of which, there were at least a few legacy candidates at Penn... so maybe there is something to be said about legacy/being asian? j/k;)

at least the ones i talked to seemed to be amazing applicants

In other words, I should file the paperwork so you can adopt me, so I can claim that I'm culturally diverse AND a legacy. :p

Ooh, me too. I wanna be culturally diverse too! Though technically I have strong German heritage (my father is pure German) and my mom's side were ******, sleeping with any nationality they could find. So there's all sorts of recombination going on in there. But alas, I'm still a little white boy.

I would also LOVE to see this. I effing hate this question. When I interviewed for an internship position at a magazine I had to go through it, and it was HORRIBLE. I mean, they still hired me, but I hated it. ;)

I struggle with this question too. I've decided that I'm just going to go with a snap shot of me at the present time, and maybe include some of my cooler experiences from the past few years. The problem is, I'm not sure how much to tell. If I remove the boring parts, I sound like a micro, modernized, softer version of Lawrence of Arabia.

I would also love to see this too Minnerbelle. I am not sure how I would say/what I would like to say if I get an interview. Congrats on both of your acceptances!! :clap:

I have an outline of things I want to include but I'm struggling with how to put it all together, mostly with how to start out.

I don't really want to start with "My name is x, I graduated with a degree in Y from z, etc" because they already have that in front of them. But I feel incredibly weird just launching straight into my hobbies, and such.

Dilemmas, dilemmas.....