Interview Question: Tell us about yourself.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lechatnoir

c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you all answer the tell us about yourself question? Aside from name, where you're from, what school you attend etc. what else would you say? For some reason I'm finding this question difficult as I don't know what is appropriate to say after the basics. I know it is just an ice breaker/get to know you type question, but I would just like to know how others would answer this. I have a Kansas interview coming up and that seems to be a popular question for them to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Goals in life (other than 'being a vet'). Things I like to do. Pets I own, stuff like that. The more interesting/unique stuff you can put into it, the more spin-off questions they can ask about to make you stand out.

Goals in life (other than 'being a vet'). Things I like to do. Pets I own, stuff like that. The more interesting/unique stuff you can put into it, the more spin-off questions they can ask about to make you stand out.

i think talking about goals other than being a vet would be a good thing to include.. like how i am training for a triathlon and such, hopefully they will ask about that rather than something random like naming species of cow or what values can be found by running a urine analysis (specifically thinking of ohio here) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. Is "I'm a geek" a bad place to start? I guess I could talk about being a bird nerd as my hobby. One of my obscure life's goals is to see a Kirtland's Warbler on its breeding grounds (they breed in a specific type of pine forest in a very small area of Michigan). Besides being endangered, they're darn cute!

Hmmm. Is "I'm a geek" a bad place to start? I guess I could talk about being a bird nerd as my hobby. One of my obscure life's goals is to see a Kirtland's Warbler on its breeding grounds (they breed in a specific type of pine forest in a very small area of Michigan). Besides being endangered, they're darn cute!

Do you live in MI? :) Whenever I go up north i always try to find them because they are so beautiful, I have only ever managed to spot one though about 5 years ago while hiking through a jack pine forest.. still hope for the future though

I work at a college as a janitor even though I feel like I'm smarter than most of the people that go there. Sometimes I see an equation written on a blackboard, like half an equation, and I'll just figure it out.

You would fit right in with a bunch of my friends. Half of them are complete bird nerds :) I, on the other hand, am a parasite nerd.....

But I would mention things that I like other than vet med and animals. I just worry that some of my interests would come across as slightly...odd...like, for example, I'm really interested in criminal psychology, specifically the psychology of serial killers :oops:

Do you live in MI? :) Whenever I go up north i always try to find them because they are so beautiful, I have only ever managed to spot one though about 5 years ago while hiking through a jack pine forest.. still hope for the future though
No, what really makes it hopelessly geeky is that I live in MD, so it would require a serious road trip to go see one! :laugh:

Myotis, my lab mates are starting to turn me into a bat nerd, too. The other week, I had BATS101 - Megachiroptera vs Microchiroptera. :woot:

Hrm, I'm feeling very un-diverse/un-original. Birding IS what I do when I want a break from riding, which is what I do when I want a break from science and vet med. Ummmmm.

I guess you could say that one of my pet interests (even though I don't know much about it) is how people and organizational systems interact and how to use system-level solutions to dis/incentivize or modify behavior. I became interested in this topic after reading some blog discussions of different strategies used to address medical mistakes and malpractice - how we might change the system so that doctors/nurses/etc. are less likely to make mistakes and more likely to work as a team to prevent mistakes and learn from past problems. Does that make any sense at all?

In my mammalogy class we caught lots of bats. It was interesting...but those scientific names kill me!

Funny, I was thinking how I would respond to this type of question and suspect I would go a different route. I'd probably describe my personality, what motivates me, how I approach my life--past, present and future--and try to provide concrete examples of past behavior.

That being said, I probably should start preparing for these kinds of questions!!

Thanks guys! I was also thinking I would go with things other than vet med but I didn't want it to sound like vet med wasn't a priority or something (obviously it is!). Just getting nervous and over thinking things I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really do recommend having something in mind for this question. At my Kansas State interview, it was the first thing they asked the second I sat down. It was so broad and open-ended that I was hit with the multitude of things I could say, and honestly I think I ended up babbling incoherently. :oops: Funny how I prepared for all these hard questions and something like that threw me off!

If it makes you feel any better, they still offered me an acceptance off the waitlist, so apparently you can have a bad start to your interview and still have a positive result :)

But I would mention things that I like other than vet med and animals. I just worry that some of my interests would come across as slightly...odd...like, for example, I'm really interested in criminal psychology, specifically the psychology of serial killers :oops:

This made me laugh because my best horse-nerd friend names all of her barn animals and horses after serial killers. It is hilarious but strange all at the same time.

How would you all answer the tell us about yourself question? Aside from name, where you're from, what school you attend etc. what else would you say? For some reason I'm finding this question difficult as I don't know what is appropriate to say after the basics. I know it is just an ice breaker/get to know you type question, but I would just like to know how others would answer this. I have a Kansas interview coming up and that seems to be a popular question for them to ask.

look up "elevator speech"

This should also be covered in most behavioral interview help sites.

or look here:
http://video.google.com/videosearch...ll+me+about+yourself&vid=-6260134849755042955

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was also thinking I would go with things other than vet med but I didn't want it to sound like vet med wasn't a priority or something (obviously it is!). Just getting nervous and over thinking things I guess.

I think the fact that you're sitting in that room makes it obvious that vet med is your priority lol.

A&M asks this question right off the bat as well. I usually start with "Aside from the obvious..." and feel that includes vet med without diverting tracks. I do include that I plan on opening my own clinic some day, though, as I feel that's a bit different from just 'being a vet'.

Myotis, my lab mates are starting to turn me into a bat nerd, too. The other week, I had BATS101 - Megachiroptera vs Microchiroptera. :woot:

Haha, I'm also the bat nerd amongst my friends (hence the name myotis). One of my goals in life is to see a spotted bat. I'm planning on taking a weekend class this summer in the Sierras on bat biology :D

This made me laugh because my best horse-nerd friend names all of her barn animals and horses after serial killers. It is hilarious but strange all at the same time.

Hahahaha, I reference serial killers a lot. No one ever gets what I'm talking about, but it makes me happy :laugh:

As far as horses go, I've been unfortunately apart from horses since I had to sell my horse about four years ago :(, but when I am able to have horses again they will all have names referencing the band The Killers (my other obsession) :)

I dread this question - I feel like I'm super-boring and would have nothing good to say. Guess I'd list my career interest, where I went to school and what I'm doing as far as work goes now, my hobbies, the fact that I'm a huge geek (sci-fi conventions, Harry Potter, and the whole bit), and maybe something silly that will make them laugh if the interviewers seem like they're not too stodgy. Like what kind of cell I would be or what I would choose as a super-power. ;)

Flying hands down.

Or manipulation of atoms, and then you could do everything.

During my first mock interview at my undergrad with my pre-health committee, this was the question that killed me!

I was so dumbstruck when i first got the question that i started blabbering about where i was born, how i always had pets growing up, how i started volunteering at the shelter, how i was inspired by what the vets said there, etc...

my interviewer got really pissed at my answer and lectured me about how she could care less about half of the stuff i said and made me cry... that was sad.

but, my advisor told me for next time that i should think of the "so tell me about yourself" as an introductory paragraph about what i want to cover in the rest of my interview. Pretty much outline what you want your interview to be about. adcoms will then stop you and go "oh, so tell me more about such and such"

i took that advice, and the next year the pre-health committee told me that i had excellent interviewing skills. haha - big diff from the year before.

You would fit right in with a bunch of my friends. Half of them are complete bird nerds :)

I work in a lab that mainly deals with birds and so I definitely know some pretty big bird nerds! Someone had an iPhone app of bird calls and they were quizzing a PhD student and my PI. They knew all of those calls! I was like, WTF...?!

I've been thinking about how I would answer this question if I were granted an interview and I feel like my answer is so boring. I didn't realize I was so boring. Tomorrow I'll go sky diving.

I've been thinking about how I would answer this question if I were granted an interview and I feel like my answer is so boring. I didn't realize I was so boring. Tomorrow I'll go sky diving.

skydiving = :love:

i've managed to jump three times, though the cost is a bit outrageous.. i'm a bit of a dare devil at heart :p

I work in a lab that mainly deals with birds and so I definitely know some pretty big bird nerds! Someone had an iPhone app of bird calls and they were quizzing a PhD student and my PI. They knew all of those calls! I was like, WTF...?!

Haha, I know a ton of people like that! And not only can they distinguish bird calls, but also different croaks from frogs and toads :laugh:

I should probably go with you. No idea how to answer questions like that. I guess I can talk about things on my Bucket List LOL

I want to go sky diving really bad. I also want to go bungee jumping. We should have a huge daredevil day for all pre-vet SDNers, so we have something to talk about at interviews. :)

I want to go sky diving really bad. I also want to go bungee jumping. We should have a huge daredevil day for all pre-vet SDNers, so we have something to talk about at interviews. :)

That would be so awesome! I have so many things I want to do before I die. Most of them have something to do with flying/jumping/falling. Is that weird?

That would be so awesome! I have so many things I want to do before I die. Most of them have something to do with flying/jumping/falling. Is that weird?

Not at all. I want to do sky diving, bungee jumping, parasailing, and hang gliding. I can't think of anymore jumping/flying type things. The only thing I would not do is cliff jumping.

I'm in. Both of those things are on my 'to-do' list.

Haha, I know a ton of people like that! And not only can they distinguish bird calls, but also different croaks from frogs and toads :laugh:
Wow. I can ID some birds by song, but I can't say I've ever paid much attention to differentiating herps!

I *really* am boring, since I'm a wuss, too! I can't imagine sky-diving or bungee jumping, although that doesn't stop me from galloping around over jumps that don't fall down on a beast with a mind of its own. ;)

Not at all. I want to do sky diving, bungee jumping, parasailing, and hang gliding. I can't think of anymore jumping/flying type things. The only thing I would not do is cliff jumping.

I dont think I would do cliff jumping either. I want to get my pilots license at some point. I'll probably wait until after my vet school debt is paid off. I have to get in before I can acquire debt.

I'm planning on going next summer some time with a friend of mine! So excited!

I *really* am boring, since I'm a wuss, too! I can't imagine sky-diving or bungee jumping, although that doesn't stop me from galloping around over jumps that don't fall down on a beast with a mind of its own. ;)

Aw being a wuss doesn't make you boring :laugh: My bf is against my whole urge to go sky diving... he doens't even like roller coasters! But I have held off for 3 years and this is something I need to get out of my system before I pop out babies! On the other hand, he plays sports with a lot of.. gusto.. and hurts himself all the time, and I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to pain. :oops:

Yeah, scared of heights and prone to motion sickness = no intention of ever riding a roller coaster. Good for those of you who can do it, though!

Yeah, scared of heights and prone to motion sickness = no intention of ever riding a roller coaster. Good for those of you who can do it, though!

You've never ridden a roller coaster??? You aren't missing much. It's not nearly as fun as when you're a little kid

I dont think I would do cliff jumping either. I want to get my pilots license at some point. I'll probably wait until after my vet school debt is paid off. I have to get in before I can acquire debt.

I also want my pilot's license too!! I would like to own my own Cesna plane so I can fly around wherever I want. Of course, I have to get all of my loans paid off. Maybe once I retire I can get my pilot's license. :cool:

I hate these sort of questions. Is it so terrible that I just want to say, "See personal statement, or one of those gazillion and 12 essays I wrote"? :smack:

You've never ridden a roller coaster??? You aren't missing much. It's not nearly as fun as when you're a little kid

Baloney! I used to love all rides until my mid-twenties when something happened physiologically and I could no longer 'recover' after them.

Fortunately, though, roller coasters I can still do. And I love the giant long ones with huge drops. Roller coasters are a big thrill for me. Forget all those other amusement thingies... :barf:

Well this is the one time my weird major is going to give me a leg up, so I plan on talking about how I'm an English and Spanish double major. While it's sometimes unfortunate that I chose vet school later than some of my peers, I'll never knock the experiences my humanities education has given me. Last summer I went to Spain and hiked 500 miles of a medieval Spanish pilgrimage route-- definitely the most memorable part of my undergraduate education. Basically, I'm going to tell them I love science and Steinbeck and hope it's interesting enough to combat my 3.2 GPA. :laugh:

If they ask goals, I want to thru-hike the AT, go back to Spain :love:, and learn a new language-- probably Portuguese.

Motorcycles scare the **** out of me. I would never ride one. I'm much safer in a plane than on one of those 2-wheeled death-mobiles.
Motorcycle is only dangerous if you crash badly - or someone in a car hits you. I've crashed 3 times and I'm still here. Definitely teaches you to maintain a strong situational awareness.

I can't say I have a desire to go sky diving. It's too close to the part of my job I hate - jumping out of a plane 800 ft above the ground. I'd rather put my money into learning how to teach others to survive in the hostile environment known as water. Much more interesting - how many animals can you see while falling from 10K feet?

The "tell us about you" question is usually the first interaction. Out of my 5 interviews last year, it was the first question in 3. My only suggestion is not related to content as much as it is to know your answer...practice it to the point that you can do it in your sleep...remember...this is the first impression and if you are rambling it is not a good start.

Your answer will often spur additional questions....so don't mention anything that makes you uncomfortable in a drill-down session. It is a good time to weave a bit of humor into the session.

Good Luck!

sky diving was the best high ive ever had in my life ;) :D