Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2008
Status
What is the interview question type percentage breakdown?

Example:

30%-Personal
30%-Ethics
20%-etc.
10%-etc.
5%-etc.
4%-etc.
1%-etc.

(So, out of 10 interview questions, 3 would deal with ethics.)

This may vary across schools but I think all schools share similar percentage breakdowns.
Thanks.

Last edited:

aznb0y129

Oh hamburgers!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Flushing, NY
Status
Medical Student

Example:

30%-Personal
30%-Ethics
20%-etc.
10%-etc.
5%-etc.
4%-etc.
1%-etc.

(So, out of 10 interview questions would be questions about ethics.)

This may vary across schools but I think all schools share similar percentage breakdowns.
Thanks.
Definitely varies across schools. 30% is probably too high for ethics. Out of the 3 interviews I've had so far, I was asked maybe 2 or 3 ethics questions total. I would put personal questions at least 50%.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Just answer the questions.

About the Ads

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
MMI -- each weighted equally.

muggle911

Non-magical member
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
How would knowing the percentages help you? I honestly have no idea...just prep for each question type and you'll be fine...work on talking about your extracurriculars, your motivations for pursuing medicine, healthcare, some ethical stuff, etc...no need for percentages and no accurate way of finding this out.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Midwest (But always a Cali kid at heart)
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
How would knowing the percentages help you? I honestly have no idea...just prep for each question type and you'll be fine...work on talking about your extracurriculars, your motivations for pursuing medicine, healthcare, some ethical stuff, etc...no need for percentages and no accurate way of finding this out.
Great question.. OP, are you really going to prepare any differently by knowing the percentages? If there's even one question on each topic, you would have to prepare for all the topics, so I wouldn't worry about the breakdown; it's irrelevant.

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status

Example:

30%-Personal
30%-Ethics
20%-etc.
10%-etc.
5%-etc.
4%-etc.
1%-etc.

Thanks.
You're way off

23.7% Personal (may vary by +- 0.5% points)
76.3% Ethics

j/k
Don't overthink this stuff.. know a bit of everything

Last edited:

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
this is why there is an interview feedback forum. Check it out.

SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can even get specific information on the school you are interviewing at. Go there. Get info. Contribute.

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
is in countdown mode
Status
Pre-Medical
wow, this is like neuroticism at a new level. how will this help you in your interview. are you going to be like, 'sdn's told me that ethics questions can only be 30% of my interview.' just chill and be yourself in the interview.

thegetupkid

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
99% Personal, 1% ethics (1 ethics question at mayo)

About the Ads

thegetupkid

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Pre-Medical

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student

Example:

30%-Personal
30%-Ethics
20%-etc.
10%-etc.
5%-etc.
4%-etc.
1%-etc.

Thanks.
90% personal
0-5% Ethics
0-5% Politics
0-5% future of healthcare
0-5% motivation and beliefs
etc.

don't worry too much about the other stuff. make sure you can answer questions about your research, experiences in school, worst grades, etc. fluently.

sushichopstickz

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
Status
Medical Student
It's useless to know the percentage breakdown. Every school is different and every interviewer is different. You can just read the interview feedback thread to get feel of the type of interview the school conducts. Seriously, just answer the question like someone said before in this post.

gopher22

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Great question.. OP, are you really going to prepare any differently by knowing the percentages? If there's even one question on each topic, you would have to prepare for all the topics, so I wouldn't worry about the breakdown; it's irrelevant.

This forum should facilitate sharing of knowledge and information. You think this question is irrelevant--that's fair. But that doesn't mean you should ignore the OP's question.

Regarding the breakdown, it depends to a large extent on the interviewer and interviewee. For example, I emphasized science in my application and I got zero ethical questions in seven interviews. Most of my questions were about my research and engineering projects. There were a few about why I want to work with patients.

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I've interviewed at 5 different schools and 4 of them had a
95% personal
5% other

Only one of them had a different breakdown
85% personal
15% ethics

Just a rant. Why dont people just answer the questions people ask on this forum? When people tell others to "Just answer the question" that is not good advice... come on help people out here.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This forum should facilitate sharing of knowledge and information. You think this question is irrelevant--that's fair. But that doesn't mean you should ignore the OP's question.

Regarding the breakdown, it depends to a large extent on the interviewer and interviewee. For example, I emphasized science in my application and I got zero ethical questions in seven interviews. Most of my questions were about my research and engineering projects. There were a few about why I want to work with patients.
Thanks for singling me out when many others agreed with what I said. Glad I struck a nerve!:poke:

On a more serious note....get real dude. Let the OP decide who's advice they'd like to follow, no commentary needed on my opinion, which directly addressed the OP's question in fact. Knowing the breakdown is irrelevant.

vadd0

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With your stats and EC's, I'm not surprised:thumbup: How was the sandwich?
Delicious and then I steal 5 more when they aren't looking. At least I did at OSU, Wright State, and Hopkins. Case and Wisc gave box lunches so I was foiled on that, and Yale just gave a voucher for one meal, so I had to make a choice based on limited resources.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Delicious and then I steal 5 more when they aren't looking. At least I did at OSU, Wright State, and Hopkins. Case and Wisc gave box lunches so I was foiled on that, and Yale just gave a voucher for one meal, so I had to make a choice based on limited resources.
:laugh:

About the Ads