Interview question women...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds SOOO dumb, but when you guys interviewed (females), did you leave your hair down, or did you put it up? I read that it's more professional to put it up, but for some reason I think my hair looks a lot better down...and for the guys on this forum, this is honestly pretty important to a girl...lol

Members don't see this ad.

I know this sounds SOOO dumb, but when you guys interviewed (females), did you leave your hair down, or did you put it up? I read that it's more professional to put it up, but for some reason I think my hair looks a lot better down...and for the guys on this forum, this is honestly pretty important to a girl...lol

im glad i dont have to worry about stuff like this.

im glad i dont have to worry about stuff like this.

no kidding...on top of DAT, and GPA stresses, you have to think about when and where to get a suit (cause girls don't have a handful in their closet), and how to make yourself look presentable, yet professional...lol...:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore my hair up, most of the girls I interviewed with did too, but there were a few that did not. I like my hair down better as well, but I was glad that I put it up because interview days are long and there is not much time to go to the bathroom and brush your hair. Also if its down there could be a tendency to play with it during the interview (that's really not good).

I have to agree with up. It looks more professional and the interviewer will not be as distracted when looking at you, nor will you be messing with it during the interview or worrying if it looks okay. Keep the jewelry and make-up to a minimum as well---less is more.

Yeah I wasn't planning on wearing a lot of make-up, I usually don't anyways...and as for jewelry I was thinking something simple like a string of pearls, and small pearl studs or something...I hate dealing with hair...:(

I wore mine down with a small clip to pull the front out of my face; I actually saw a lot of girls wearing their hair down in a similar fashion to mine.
I say just do whichever you feel more comfortable in, but if you wear it down, make sure that it's out of your face and does not need any constant adjustment throughout the day.
Additionally, like zebrafish mentioned, if you have a tendency to play with your hair, then wearing it up might be a better a idea.

I want to wear my hair down, and I don't really know if I play with it or not, it's just, I have really long hair, and part of me is scared that while walking around all day is going to make it tangly and nasty, the other part though hopes that it gives me an edge like it usually does because people end up remembering me for my hair for some reason...lol

Definitely up.

I personally think I look terrible with my hair up, but I buckled up and wore it up anyway.-- my hair is reaaaally long too, so I worried that maybe i'll be sitting wrong or I'll wind up looking messy by the time the interview part rolled around.

I also did a string of pearls and pearl studs. =) Simple.

There WAS one girl in my interview group that wore a LOT A LOT of jewelry, but didn't look too bad. Also, if you have any piercings that are less than conventional, take them out. another girl @ my interview group showed up with an industrial ear piercing and messy hair.

I'd be afraid of a dentist like that. ---Just think of what a dentist would look like, and dress the part. Don't be afraid of wearing your hair up. I'm sure you've got plenty more for them to remember you by than just your hair!

Good luck!

as long as your hair is out of your face you're fine. If you like your hair down (like I do) maybe you should try a half up look like i did with a small silver clip (same color as my jewelry). it worked out just fine :)

You guys think they would really not consider me because I left my hair down s oppose to up? I mean i know up is professional, but it seems a lot of you wore it down and did just fine...

i wore my hair down for that day but i tied it back for the interview. also, i put my hand on my lap together during the interview so that i wouldnt touch my hair. if you have a place for your hands, you will more likely not play with the hair.

honestly, although we stress about these things the school probably cares very little about what we look like or how we dress as long as we don't look sloppy. don't worry!

i wore my hair down for that day but i tied it back for the interview. also, i put my hand on my lap together during the interview so that i wouldnt touch my hair. if you have a place for your hands, you will more likely not play with the hair.

honestly, although we stress about these things the school probably cares very little about what we look like or how we dress as long as we don't look sloppy. don't worry!

Agreed! Just wear your hair in a way that makes you feel comfortable and prevents you from thinking about it during the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
do something that you like with your hair. i almost NEVER wear mine up, so i wore it down...my hair is waist-length and it's so much of a hassle for me to pull it up. plus, i just feel more comfortable with it down.

just don't let it get in your face. :) really, they won't care as long as it's not in your face. ust do something that makes YOU feel comfortable. :)

Doesn't matter to the admissions people whether your hair is up or down. Just make sure you can be a human being when it comes to the interview... talk and have personality. If you're relying on your hair to leave an impression on the committee, there's something wrong.

I had my hair down on all my interviews. Just make sure it's straightened or just neat looking if you do... not loose and crazy like it is when you wake up.

Good luck. :thumbup:

the majority of girls that were among the interviewees I met wore their hair down. It didn't make them look unprofessional, or less mature. Strangely though, the girls who wore their hair up looked overly precocious. The only situation where I suggest a woman wear her hair up in an interview is if her hair is natually pubic thick, Raggedy Anne style.

I have tried wearing it up for some of my interviews, and down for others. I have long, blonde, hair and have a California girl look. I made the mistake of wearing a brightly colored interview suit last year to try and stand out in a sea or depressing black suits. That year one interviewer at a school I would definitely NOT attend asked me "why I wanted to be a dentist rather than a secretary or swimsuit model?". I guess I looked too dumb blonde rather than dentist. I darkened my hair to a medium blonde, wore my strand of pearls rather than a sparkly ring, bought a grey suit and saved the bright color for the blouse worn under my suit, and wore my hair in a low ponytail at my interviews. I was accepted soon after. I didn't change who I was; my application still contained my beauty pageant experience and modeling jobs as well as my academic and community credentials, but I tried to look less like the beauty and more like the geek. Appearance matters. If you are really pretty, you have to tone it down. Beautiful women are discriminated against, so if you are really gorgeous wear your hair the way that makes you slightly less gorgeous.

i wore my hair down for all 5 of my interviews and got accepted to all 5 places so don't worry they won't reject you for your hair haha :thumbup:

I would have to go with pigtails. It shows you know how to work with your hands, and have fun. Everyone knows dentist like to have fun, and this hairstyle does it. I wore them to my UCSF and UCLA interviews and got accepted:thumbup:

I would have to go with pigtails. It shows you know how to work with your hands, and have fun. Everyone knows dentist like to have fun, and this hairstyle does it. I wore them to my UCSF and UCLA interviews and got accepted:thumbup:

HAHAHAHA...this is hilarious

I heard it was more professional to wear it up, so I did. Like Kooch said though, I doubt they will say "she wore her hair down...we better keep her out of our school." Stats speak louder than style...but I was accepted for style :p Good luck.

Pig tails all the way!!!! lol...thanks so much for the input, I guess i'm going with down, it just feels more natural that way for me! Now let's worry about getting some interviews...:scared:

I had my hair down in all the interviews i went to and got accepted to both.

Yea.. do what makes you comfortable and confident. Personally, I don't think you have to follow what a business interview dress code demand.. you know hair up, no jewelery and all that.

Just look clean, neat and non-psychotic and you'll be just dandy

I heard it was more professional to wear it up, so I did. Like Kooch said though, I doubt they will say "she wore her hair down...we better keep her out of our school." Stats speak louder than style...but I was accepted for style :p Good luck.

HAHAH it's ok Suga...it's ok...

How about hair up before the interview and hair down midway through the interview ;).

I'll tell you when it's ok... I'm the boss, ya hear? I am not only the wet blanket but also the CEO of the VCU SoD c/o 2011. Know your role and get me some coffee! :p

yes maam :scared:

Ugh...the correct response was... "don't you know coffee can stain your teeth?" ::shakes head::

calm down woman it's too early to start thinking like a dentist...my brain is officially shut off until d-school starts...i hope i dont get kicked out

I know wearing your hair up will be better, but should you wear make up?? I was told by some people that you just need to wear foundation and some lipstick and NO eye make up. I have been told by a few people that eye make up and blush makes you look trashy in a professional interview...
is that true?? :confused:

I know wearing your hair up will be better, but should you wear make up?? I was told by some people that you just need to wear foundation and some lipstick and NO eye make up. I have been told by a few people that eye make up and blush makes you look trashy in a professional interview...
is that true?? :confused:

Defining your eyes with eye makeup will make you look bright-eyed and intelligent! I would suggest wearing a cream colored or light grey/silver eyeshadow base with a dark pink but sheer color in the crease contouring out from the lash line. Then use curl your eyelashes but only use 1 layer of mascara. Make sure the mascara is declumped though. I would suggest not wearing any eye liner though. When I interviewed, I wore foundation, powder, light eye makeup, very light blush, and lip gloss. Use enough to enhance your natural beauty not overshadow it. An interview is a special occasion, so wear makeup that you would wear to a business type special occasion. Good luck.

used to be a make-up artist so i would have to say......wear a light colored lipstick, not heavy on the lipliner (make them match)--neutral colors too...soft on the blush. no bright pinks or anything....put some mascara and very soft eyeliner---if you're blonde/lighter hair, go for a brown eyeliner...darker haired, go for a grey eyeliner and keep it thin...no fancy cleopatra stuff at the ends of your eyes...keep the eyeshadow to a minimum...very little shimmer--mattes would be better...beiges, browns and other soft tones... light on perfume if any...can bother people....

speaking of looks...do you think prettier/better looking people have a better chance of getting in?? i know several people who used to interview for med school/residency positions and better looking people had a better chance of getting in....and during residency, the prettier girls never had to work as hard and would still get an A in their rotation while the guys bust their butts for an A or less.....

LOL...I really hope thats the case, but unfortunately I don't think it is. If only it was so easy, as to just being pretty...I would work on that full time instead of my grades...lol

thanks for the make up replys! I LOVE LOVE LOVE eyeliner, but I guess I will have to tone it down a bit! lol...

I think you can have a average looking face and still do well...BUT you have to be skinny and in shape. At my interviews I never see any obese or fat people... ALL skinny!! Face matters but I think weight matters MORE... :thumbup:

ALSO being attractive might help you out in an interview and getting accepted. BUT once you are in medical/dental school I am sure you will have to WORK HARD no matter what! I never heard of a teacher giving a student an A b/c she is hot... I hope not at least lol...

Wow that's really harsh, I don't think fatter people have less of a chance at all...I think that could really hurt someones self esteem too...I think everyone has a fair chance, it's about grades, and what your stats look like...i'm not fat or anything, but if I was, that comment would have definitely brought me way down. I think we need to be a little more considerate as to what we say pertaining sensitive subjects because some things on this forum are really taken seriously

I mean OBESE people, not slightly over weight, but OBESE. sorry for the confusion! I dont think they are BAD people but I personally feel that if an obese person was up against someone thats not obese, then the person thats NOT obese will properly be favored...thats all i mean to said. sorry for the confusion.

also I do agree with you that stats SHOULD matter more!! but the interview matters just as much and your looks plays a important role during your interview, unlike stats which are less important during the interview...

looks matters and I don't think that's a sad thing or tragic.
Stop picking on pretty people.
THe way I see it is that both intelligence and beauty are key weapons in the war of survival of the fittest so it's not wrong to use what you got to get ahead be it your killer intelligence or your drop-dead gorgeous-ness. Both are things that are inherited and has potential to be improved if worked on. So why one should have a stigma when used to achieve things?

You might say that a beautiful person didn't have to work hard at being beautiful so they don't deserve credit for it. In the same line of logic.. a naturally gifted person don't deserve much credit for their academic achievements either because they don't have to work hard at being smart either. Right? No matter what.. work with what yo momma gave you!

So for all the smart people out there.. don't hate the beautiful people.. they are just trying to get by with what they got...just like you!

And for all the smart and beaufiful people out there.... DARN! you're one luck PERSON!@!!!!!!

Is it fair that a beautiful applicant with average GPA/DAT score get in over an average or below average looking applicant with extremely high GPA/DAT ?

ABsolutely yes.

I don't know... the whole fat argument doesn't go very far to explaining an article I read that said that 1/3 of dentists are overweight or obese. I have obese friends that have landed great jobs and thin friends that are still selling beer at the baseball games. Who knows? For sales positions, I agree looks are VERY important... for dentistry, I'm not sure if it is the case or not. I know the people I interviewed with were all fairly attractive though.

AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID!!!!:D
Except for two things.
1) You are either beautiful or not. You can't work on it..sorry, but beauty is god given...(sorry UGLY people...lol..)

2) People that are super smart with good grades work hard for it. Sorry but Its NOT possible to get a 4.0 GPA/30 DAT and not study. Anyone with a 4.0 and saids they NEVER study are LYING! b/c no matter how smart you are, you will have to work for your grades etc..And if you have low stats you are not stupid either, it just means you are LAZY!!

looks matters and I don't think that's a sad thing or tragic.
Stop picking on pretty people.
THe way I see it is that both intelligence and beauty are key weapons in the war of survival of the fittest so it's not wrong to use what you got to get ahead be it your killer intelligence or your drop-dead gorgeous-ness. Both are things that are inherited and has potential to be improved if worked on. So why one should have a stigma when used to achieve things?

You might say that a beautiful person didn't have to work hard at being beautiful so they don't deserve credit for it. In the same line of logic.. a naturally gifted person don't deserve much credit for their academic achievements either because they don't have to work hard at being smart either. Right? No matter what.. work with what yo momma gave you!

So for all the smart people out there.. don't hate the beautiful people.. they are just trying to get by with what they got...just like you!

And for all the smart and beaufiful people out there.... DARN! you're one luck PERSON!@!!!!!!

Is it fair that a beautiful applicant with average GPA/DAT score get in over an average or below average looking applicant with extremely high GPA/DAT ?

ABsolutely yes.

My husband told me last night that I will have to work really hard to get a great interview because I am pretty, and although I am smart, I sound like a spoiled, rich girl who if anyone asked me one day if I was a professional they would laugh and think that I should be some fashion designer or something...!!! How do you fix that problem?!!

Hahaha I get that all the time, people think i'm dumb or something. Just because I care about what I look like, I suddenly can't care about my grades??? It's a ******ed stereotype, and I think dental schools def. look past it.

I don't know... the whole fat argument doesn't go very far to explaining an article I read that said that 1/3 of dentists are overweight or obese. I have obese friends that have landed great jobs and thin friends that are still selling beer at the baseball games. Who knows? For sales positions, I agree looks are VERY important... for dentistry, I'm not sure if it is the case or not. I know the people I interviewed with were all fairly attractive though.

Being attractive helps in dentistry. Half of business presentation is visual stimulation. That is why I would wear sweatpants at home, and slacks, shirt, and tie (no bowtie - that didn't work well at my interview) in clinic.

About whether or not being obese hurts or helps... being more thin helps
1) less strain on your back when hunched over
2) even in dentistry, patients like to think their clinician is in good standing with their own health before a patient can comfortably relinquish care to the clinician. being obese doesn't help here.

Personally, my only area of concern lies in my dentist NOT having jimmy dean sausage fingers. Perhaps part of the reason why I feel more comfortable with female clinicians, is their hands are more thin, and makes it feel less like the removal of my maxilla.

Being attractive helps in dentistry. Half of business presentation is visual stimulation. That is why I would wear sweatpants at home, and slacks, shirt, and tie (no bowtie - that didn't work well at my interview) in clinic.

About whether or not being obese hurts or helps... I'm not sure it matters to most people. Personally, my only area of concern lies in my dentist NOT having jimmy dean sausage fingers. Perhaps part of the reason why I feel more comfortable with female clinicians, is their hands are more thin, and makes it feel less like the removal of my maxilla.

HAHHAA... seriously though, you make some good points.

AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID!!!!:D
Except for two things.
1) You are either beautiful or not. You can't work on it..sorry, but beauty is god given...(sorry UGLY people...lol..)

2) People that are super smart with good grades work hard for it. Sorry but Its NOT possible to get a 4.0 GPA/30 DAT and not study. Anyone with a 4.0 and saids they NEVER study are LYING! b/c no matter how smart you are, you will have to work for your grades etc..And if you have low stats you are not stupid either, it just means you are LAZY!!

well.. looks can be improved.. diet, exercise, make-up, plastic surgery

2) I agree that it's not possible to get high scores without studying the difference being that a naturally super smart person probably only have to read the materials once or twice.

My husband told me last night that I will have to work really hard to get a great interview because I am pretty, and although I am smart, I sound like a spoiled, rich girl who if anyone asked me one day if I was a professional they would laugh and think that I should be some fashion designer or something...!!! How do you fix that problem?!!

that's not a problem at all, it's a compliment of sorts. THey are basically saying that you are beautiful in a round-about way. I'd just smile and walk away... but I;m a "glass half full" kinda person so....

Ask Reese Witherspoon? Sounds like 'Legally Blonde' to me.

So did you guys wear pumps to the interviews, or those bland flat loafers :( I don't think I own a pair even close to that.

definitely pointy toe black pumps (go with everything plus they look good). i wore pumps because i'm very used to wearing heels so it didn't bother me. if you're not used to heals then probably a kitten heel pointy toe would be a good choice

i prefer my hair down too.
i would say go with what you are comfortable.
i know that if i put my hair up in some ugly bun, i'd be more worried about how i look than what i'm saying or how i'm acting. haha i'm definitely keeping my hair down. although i might pull some of it back and put it up a little with a clip