Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentlekev

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how people answer to this interview question, "Did you apply to allopathic medical schools?"
A "yes" to this question, would likely to be construed as putting O.D. school as a backup plan. While a "no" will be an obvious lie to some of us.
My thinking is to support a "yes" with my strong desire to become a doctor, and osteopathic medicine has an excellent philosophy that I can relate to.
There's perhaps a better answer to this, could someone share with us?

Thanks,
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

gentlekev said:
I am wondering how people answer to this interview question, "Did you apply to allopathic medical schools?"
A "yes" to this question, would likely to be construed as putting O.D. school as a backup plan. While a "no" will be an obvious lie to some of us.
My thinking is to support a "yes" with my strong desire to become a doctor, and osteopathic medicine has an excellent philosophy that I can relate to.
There's perhaps a better answer to this, could someone share with us?

Thanks,
Kevin

The answer for me was yes, but the moment I got accepted to DMU (a DO school)... I quit the application process with the MD schools... I didn't want to go to their interviews.

I wanted DMU. It was my number one choice.

And the schools are DO schools, not OD ;)

When I was at PCOM I told them all the schools I had applied to and interviewed at. I just said it was a numbers game, there are more allopathic schools then there are osteopathic schools. Do not anser yes if you only applied to one osteopathic school because then it looks like the school is a back up to the allopathics.

Members don't see this ad :)
That question isn't as bad as everyone may think. Honestly, medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) know that students apply to a lot of schools. Its just playing the odds. No one expects you to apply to 3 schools, unless your application kicks ass. And a lot of osteopathic schools understand that seeing how there are maybe 6 times as many allopathic schools as there are osteopathic ones, chances are, their applicants applied to both.

To answer your question, DO NOT LIE. Thats the last thing you want to do, even if you did apply to allopathic and decided to withdraw you application later on. The fact is that you did apply, and you had a reason for it. For me, I applied to both because I did not know which path I wanted to take. There were things about both that appealed to me. But the more I talked to people about osteopathic medicine, the more I realized that osteopathic medicine was where my passion was. And thats what I said during my interview.

I was asked where I applied when I interviewed at COMP. I told them I applied to other schools including allopathic and osteopathic. I did tell them that I just wanted to maximize the chance of acceptance. I still got in so I don't think they saw it as a problem.

Eiko said:
The answer for me was yes, but the moment I got accepted to DMU (a DO school)... I quit the application process with the MD schools... I didn't want to go to their interviews.

I wanted DMU. It was my number one choice.

And the schools are DO schools, not OD ;)

I agree 100%...applied to both...and quit once I was accepted to DMU! DMU asked me during my interview and I told them the truth! I didn't have to explain myself, they didn't probe that far, and I highly doubt they would.

G'luck with your interview(s).

J

You should absolutely tell the truth. At my interview at OU, they asked me to how many medical schools I applied to and I told them. In fact, my interviewer said that anyone trying to become a physician would apply to both MD and DO schools. Hope this help and just be yourself at your interviews.

Thank you to all of you for providing reasonable and positive solutions to a seemingly difficult question.
It's a good start for future physicians.

Kevin

The question is usually asked to view your response; to see your hesitation, whether you do lie about, etc. Remember, soemtimes it is asked and sometimes it is not....