Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was reading through a few interview feedback experiences, and I stumbled upon one question that stumped me. I could only determine money being an issue and to help the individual seek out appropriate health insurance (MA, etc) to get them the drug needed to survive. What an appropriate answer be to the following question:

Mrs X is an insulin patient, her insulin price suddenly skyrocketed. If she takes lower dose, the treatment will take twice longer. But she barely makes end's meet, let alone afford the insulin price. Describe what problems exist? What would you suggest her to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunatly I have a bit of experience with this issue. The thing is that as you are answering the question you need to keep in mind that they are asking you as if you were the phamaciest. The beuty with it is you also need to be loyal to your corporation. So, here is how I would answer this question. I would check prices out for the patien or if she has some insuline still I would make her use what she had and that would give me time to check around to places like Cosco or Wal-Mart. If the price is still high I would see if there is any government programms

When answering this question, I might also mention the health problems that could/will ensue if she stops her treatment... I think looking into gov't programs, contacting the manufacturer about cost-reduction programs, ect. is a good start. Also, perhaps discussing with her doctor a more inexpensive treatment option or the possibly that one even exists.

I think many pharmacy schools will look at this to determine how you deal with a challenging situation, how you deal with it on an ethical level, and overall to examine your problem solving skills. Many times if you can reasonably justify your answer, you are still doing well.