sbp26

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Status
i've been researching for an upcoming interview.. what I found was that the the question, Why medicine? and Why being a physician? is a little bit confusing to me.. how would you differentiate between the two.. what does one look for when asking the "Why medicine?" versus why do you want to become a doctor...personally, my answer to both are so related..lol i dunno..ne one ever question this..

Chisel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
sbp26 said:
i've been researching for an upcoming interview.. what I found was that the the question, Why medicine? and Why being a physician? is a little bit confusing to me.. how would you differentiate between the two.. what does one look for when asking the "Why medicine?" versus why do you want to become a doctor...personally, my answer to both are so related..lol i dunno..ne one ever question this..
Congrats on getting an interview!

"Why medicine/physician?", seem to me to be very related questions. And they are. However, of course, you could be in medicine and not be a physician.

I would highlight the fact that being a Physician allows you to be the leader of a team of medical professionals/problem solver/interact with patients on daily basis, etc. And focus on any leadership positions/opportunities that you may have had in the past.

"Why medicine?", can be answered in such a way as to focus on the reasons why a career in medicine and your personality are suited for one another.

I know that you can have the same explanations for both questions, but I would be prepared to both answer them separately and as part of one question.

Good luck!!!

Any other interview questions??????

Chisel
PCOM MS III.75

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
Status
I also find that "why medicine" can mean "why not some other area in science?" I'm currently in research, and want to transition into clinical (ie "medicine"), so for me I would differentiate between those two. But the two (physician/medicine) are certainly related. As long as you know why you want to take this career path, I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever answer you come up with. Best of luck at your interview!

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think of medicine as a science/field of study... whereas a physician is one of several professions that utilizes medicine.