Interview question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Littleg1225

Family Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do answer this simple, yet difficult question in your interview?

"Tell us a little about yourself?"

I know that they just want a little bit about you, but where do you start? Do you tell them all about why you want to be a doctor or personal experiences? I have been told by some people to do so but not get too detailed. For those of you who had this question, please respond with how you handled such a question.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told to keep it professional. Talk about your educational background, and things of that nature. The career advisor in my department said not to get too personal. I don't see anything wrong with giving them a little insight to your personal life. But, for the most part I would keep it somewhat formal.
GOOD LUCK!

There was another thread about this recently... I think it was in the pre-MD forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read in other forums about keeping it professional, talking about your educational background and what not. But to be honest, you've probably written about that stuff in your PS and secondaries. I think they basically want to get to know "you." What are your interest, etc, etc. I've been to two interviews and never really got into my academic background. Just said i went to school X and that's it. I mostly talked about my hobbies,significant other, and that i'm a fan of competitive eating. So i think it's really to get to know who you are and to see if you have a personality outside of medicine and school. Good luck to everyone.

I've read in other forums about keeping it professional, talking about your educational background and what not. But to be honest, you've probably written about that stuff in your PS and secondaries. I think they basically want to get to know "you." What are your interest, etc, etc. I've been to two interviews and never really got into my academic background. Just said i went to school X and that's it. I mostly talked about my hobbies,significant other, and that i'm a fan of competitive eating. So i think it's really to get to know who you are and to see if you have a personality outside of medicine and school. Good luck to everyone.

:thumbup: I agree. I didn't know what to say, so I talked about my education and work experiences and just briefly mentioned my interests at the end. The interviewers did not seem to be interested in the professional info. and asked me follow up questions only regarding my interests and hobbies.