Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Frankenstein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was there a specific incidence that made you want to become a physician?

I always have trouble with this question for some reason. In interviews I always go back to my grandmother who suffered from diabetes and died from it. Than bring up exposure and experience since my early teenage years that has interested me. How do you usually answer it?

Members don't see this ad.

This question is somewhat flawed because I feel few students have experienced an epiphany like moment about a future medical career. To combat this, students tend to over-embellish one particular instance of their past (usually a personal or family health issue).

All current med students and physicians that I know and have talked to seem to show a gradual progression of interest in medicine. OP, there is no right or wrong way to answer this question. The answer you have given is adequate because it is relevant to you. If I were the interviewer, I would be somewhat skeptical of a pre-med who tries to make it sound like lightning stuck and in an instant you knew you magically wanted to practice medicine. It is much more realistic to say several things have coalesced and created this desire within you.

This question is somewhat flawed because I feel few students have experienced an epiphany like moment about a future medical career. To combat this, students tend to over-embellish one particular instance of their past (usually a personal or family health issue).

All current med students and physicians that I know and have talked to seem to show a gradual progression of interest in medicine. OP, there is no right or wrong way to answer this question. The answer you have given is adequate because it is relevant to you. If I were the interviewer, I would be somewhat skeptical of a pre-med who tries to make it sound like lightning stuck and in an instant you knew you magically wanted to practice medicine. It is much more realistic to say several things have coalesced and created this desire within you.

I feel the same way and I discussed it in my personal statement. It was quite a number of experiences throughout my life, especially being a non-trad. I answer that interview question the same way. "I grew up and I thought I wanted to do A, then b/c of X,Y, and Z, I did B instead. I did very well at B, but ultimately came to decide that C was exactly what I wanted because of U, V, and W. I never looked back since."

Members don't see this ad :)
I was sitting in starbucks studying organic chemistry when I saw this woman collapse across the room. All of a sudden, a guy bursts into the room, tearing off his suit to reveal a pair of scrubs with a big red S on them. He took a stirring rod and rusty pair of scissors and performed a tracheotomy right there on the floor. Then he boned the really hot barista working behind the counter. Thats when I knew I gotta be a doctor.

I was sitting in starbucks studying organic chemistry when I saw this woman collapse across the room. All of a sudden, a guy bursts into the room, tearing off his suit to reveal a pair of scrubs with a big red S on them. He took a stirring rod and rusty pair of scissors and performed a tracheotomy right there on the floor. Then he boned the really hot barista working behind the counter. Thats when I knew I gotta be a doctor.

What is it with you and doctors boning? :rolleyes:

I answered that question in a very similar manner to nevinleiby. I briefly explained my progression of interests from high school to the present and how those other career options did not fit my goals, qualities, and values.