Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilitaryMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When in an interview and asked where do you see yourself in 10-15 years or how to you plan on financing your medical education, how do medical schools, especially DO schools, feel if you state you plan on joining the medical corps in one of the service branches?

Do admission committees/interviewers begin to see you as not a viable student for their school since you will definitely not be practicing in their communities upon graduation? I know that many DO schools state in their mission statements and objectives that they want to fill the physician shortage in their area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When in an interview and asked where do you see yourself in 10-15 years or how to you plan on financing your medical education, how do medical schools, especially DO schools, feel if you state you plan on joining the medical corps in one of the service branches?

Do admission committees/interviewers begin to see you as not a viable student for their school since you will definitely not be practicing in their communities upon graduation? I know that many DO schools state in their mission statements and objectives that they want to fill the physician shortage in their area.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DOs are all about the military. Don't worry about it.

Really? I would have thought that with all of the interest in primary and rural care that they may not like that. I hope you are right!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah.

I wouldn't say in an interview that you visualize practicing derm in NYC. Especially if it's a school like WVSOM where they really want you to practice in underserved and rural areas.

Lots of kids take the military scholarships and are OK.

Perfectly acceptable answer. We LIKE our military graduates!

Tons of military people at my school. I don't think it would hurt you at all. ...Might even help.