Interview Questions 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drobgyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be so great if someone could get the anonymous Interview Impressions page going. Until then, does anyone want to post some of the questions you have gotten on interviews and/or appropriate good answers to them for interviews.

For example, I am really curious as to what to say about being in a relationship. If you are married, do programs look at it as a negative because they think you might end up having kids during residency (even if you are not planning to have kids until after residency?) Is it better just not to say that you are married OR can you use it to your advantage since your spouse's job may be the reason for why you need to stay in a certain location? Any thoughts?

Also, what really make someone stand out as a great candidate on interview day?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am not in residency yet, but I would think that hiding your marriage would be a little extreme! There are many married residents at programs so I don't see how they would see this as a "weakness". I also think that it would just show that you would have some support- esp if you are applying in a place where you don't have any other family. That's just my two cents... :)

It would be so great if someone could get the anonymous Interview Impressions page going. Until then, does anyone want to post some of the questions you have gotten on interviews and/or appropriate good answers to them for interviews.

For example, I am really curious as to what to say about being in a relationship. If you are married, do programs look at it as a negative because they think you might end up having kids during residency (even if you are not planning to have kids until after residency?) Is it better just not to say that you are married OR can you use it to your advantage since your spouse's job may be the reason for why you need to stay in a certain location? Any thoughts?

Also, what really make someone stand out as a great candidate on interview day?

If you're married and a program thinks being married is a negative, that's probably not somewhere you want to be, so what will you gain by lying to get in? You'll be stuck for 4 years around people who don't share one of your most important interests.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my first post wasn't clear. I didn't mean to lie to the programs if they ask you directly - I was just wondering whether you should volunteer that type of information or if that can be then looked at in a negative way. Realistically, a lot of obgyn and surgery programs do not want residents to take time off for maternity leave and they often do factor your personal situations into their rank decision making. Everyone wants to put their best foot forward on interview day and no one wants to have any negatives directed at them, so i guess I was just wondering if you should even say something extra that programs MIGHT look at negatively???? (if they even do see it that way)

Anyways, here are some questions that I have been asked so far:

1. why obgyn?
2. how would a friend describe you?
3. if you look inside of you, what areas could you improve on?
4. what do you know about the new health care reform bill?
5. from what you have heard, what do you think the programs weaknesses are?
6. tell me about xyz on your application....
7. What do you think is the cause of the malpractice crisis?