Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Interview questions on health care

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by raindropx, Aug 15, 2015.

1. raindropx

raindropx Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    For interviews, how much talk should we expect about Obamacare, "fixing" health care, politics, other stuff that needs some research? Are they just looking to see that we know our stuff?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yojimbo_OGT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wouldn't hurt to do a quick Google search on single-payer health care. Maybe even a run-down on the presidential candidates' view on health care.

I had to convince myself not to do this as "for the interview," but instead view it as "this is the stuff that will impact my career." Although I don't need to be the economist that solves all the issues or anything that severe.

teeayejay likes this.
  4. Gauss44

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I find it interesting that they ask about that at all. To me it seems more of a public health or policy issue.

5. teeayejay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A lot of these issues will impact how and where you practice medicine so it would be prudent to be aware of said changes. Plus, there are also people (read current doctors and aspiring) out there with secondary public health or policy reform interests.

#4 teeayejay, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    mcatjelly and Gurby like this.
  6. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    And those issues will impact your career and practice more than any other forces in the market. Everyone should know about them

mcatjelly and ARAV_Rocky like this.
  7. Lawper

Lawper In 3D
    Rocket Scientist Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Ah damn. raindropx got slammed with the banhammer :( There goes my favorite avatar :(

In regards to the original thread topic, understanding the current healthcare issues is always a plus. As @efle recommended elsewhere, I recommend reading Kenneth Arrow's healthcare critique for a solid background. The contemporary issues on ACA follow from there.

Additionally, you can read business related articles on healthcare markets, which are commonly found in Wall Street Journal/Financial Times/Economist/Forbes/Atlantic/. An overview is important.

Exactly. But try your best to keep it in a neutral tone and avoid the economic technicalities and debates.

teeayejay and Glazedonutlove like this.
  8. teeayejay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good point on avoiding technicalities and debates.