This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gOT2beOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! With interviews occurring and upcoming, I thought it would be cool if we could post possible interview questions and unique answers we have had or expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an interview at University of St. Augustine and they asked
- What was your toughest semester and what did you do about it?
- What experience have you had in OT?
-How do you handle stress and manage your wellness?
- What was one thing you saw an OT do that made you say I really wanna do that?

There were a few others I can't remember but it was pretty casual!

Reactions: 1 users
- tell me about yourself
- tell me about a challenge you faced
- tell me about someone you think is a good leader
- tell me about a positive and negative experience you had during fieldwork
- if your supervisor asked you to do something you weren't trained to do what would you do

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are awesome, thank you for the example questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Some questions that I have been asked previously during interviews:

Why did you choose this school?
What are you going to do if you do not get into this program?
Tell me about a time you faced a problem and how you solved it.
How do your personal problems impact you when you are at work?
Tell me about a time you had to work in a group.
Im going to hand you an object, and you have one minute to come up with as many examples as possible of how to use it in a manner that is related to OT besides its original use (object was a shower cap)
Why do you want to be an OT?
What are your core values and how would they guide you when serving individuals/populations as a future OT?
Tell us about how you achieved a significant accomplishment.
In your opinion what are some national issues facing health care that could affect the profession of OT?
Tell us about any work/volunteer experience in which you have participated. What did you learn from the experience and how is it applicable to your pursuit of being an OT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I may ask- What did you do with the shower cap? All I can think of are ideas to do with Hand therapy such as rolling to break scar tissue, pulling to strengthen "pinchers", using as a jar opener, etc.

I have a question, does everyone that apply get an interview? or is it only certain people that are given one? Just something that I've been curious about, if anyone knows.

I think most schools rank their students based on everything in their applications, and select the people they consider the most competitive for an interview. If you are not selected for an interview they usually send an email. This is just my experience with the schools I’ve applied to though.

Oh okay, this makes sense. Thank you! and thank you so much for the interview questions, that was so nice! I know more less what to expect now.

Hi guys. I am interviewing this week for Thomas Jefferson’s OT Program. It is a group interview could you guys give me some tips with these types of interviews?

Has anyone had an interview with Texas Tech? I have an interview soon and would love if I could know what to expect

Hi guys. I am interviewing this week for Thomas Jefferson’s OT Program. It is a group interview could you guys give me some tips with these types of interviews?
Hi! My interview was not a group setting but there were two of us. The interviewers would ask a question and then each of us would answer. They would alternate who goes first. It was helpful to hear other answers and build off of each other. Just be yourself and be confident. Do not make this interview a competition but be a team player. The interviewers willl be able to read that.

One of the more unique questions I’ve been asked was “name a time where you saw a therapist have a conflict with a patient. How did they resolve this conflict, and how would you solve it?”

This came out of left field for me because it was something I had seldom seen since the therapists I shadowed all had great relationships with their patients so I really had to scour my brain for a memory that would be relevant for the question.

In another interview I was put in a lot of hypothetical scenarios which was also pretty interesting. Stuff like working with a patient you may not get along with and other ethical dilemmas, so all in all I’d say definitely be prepared to think outside the box and try to put yourself in the shoes of the therapists you’ve shadowed a little bit!

Some questions that I have been asked previously during interviews:

Why did you choose this school?
What are you going to do if you do not get into this program?
Tell me about a time you faced a problem and how you solved it.
How do your personal problems impact you when you are at work?
Tell me about a time you had to work in a group.
Im going to hand you an object, and you have one minute to come up with as many examples as possible of how to use it in a manner that is related to OT besides its original use (object was a shower cap)
Why do you want to be an OT?
What are your core values and how would they guide you when serving individuals/populations as a future OT?
Tell us about how you achieved a significant accomplishment.
In your opinion what are some national issues facing health care that could affect the profession of OT?
Tell us about any work/volunteer experience in which you have participated. What did you learn from the experience and how is it applicable to your pursuit of being an OT?

I'm curious what good replies to the shower cap question would be?

Interview questions I was asked at Midwestern-IL:
1. OT is an art and a science, what does that mean to you?
2. How would you explain what OT is to someone who doesn't know
3. Is there a particular OT in mind that has inspired you?
4. Tell me about yoursel.
5. Why OTD, why Midwestern?
6. Tell me about a time where you resolved a conflict.
7. Describe your leadership opportunities.
8. What can you contribute to OT as a leader?
9. Tell me something interesting about yourself that you want to tell me or want me to remember about you.

The last 3 were from the short 15 min interview, the first questions were from the longer 30 min interview.
For anyone interviewing at Midwestern-IL there are some older threads from 2013 that have a whole bunch of questions if you're interested, some titles of them are: "MWU-IL Interview Advice!" and "Midwestern University IL Interview questions" .

9. Tell me something interesting about yourself that you want to tell me or want me to remember about you.

The last 3 were from the short 15 min interview, the first questions were from the longer 30 min interview.
For anyone interviewing at Midwestern-IL there are some older threads from 2013 that have a whole bunch of questions if you're interested, some titles of them are: "MWU-IL Interview Advice!" and "Midwestern University IL Interview questions" .
This is so helpful thanks!

I interviewed here in Nov. and can confirm that lots of the same questions showed up for my interview! The 15 min. interview is very casual, but the 30 minute interview is by no means scary either. Very welcoming people, felt like a regular conversation.

I recently received an email from a school that I applied to and this was the response. Has anyone that law had an interview like this, if so please provide details.