Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calaxer19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had an interview for a research position and felt it didn't go very well at all. I was the one of the only first-years there and felt very intimidated by the whole process.

I think my biggest obstacle was saying everything I wanted to say in the few minutes they gave us (each interview was a mere 5-6 minutes!).

Also, I've always had trouble with the infamous, "What's your greatest fault" question - I hope my adlib response flies with them.

In any case, I'm sure many of you have a lot of (positive) experience with interviewing so please share your wisdom!

What works, what doesn't? What are things to do, things not to do?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got that q at an interview, too. Its a tough one. I was told that when you are asked for your strengths, say as much as possible, but when asked of your weaknesses, mention 1 or 2 things. Another thing I would suggest is that in picking weaknesses, you pick something that you can show you've made efforts to improve and that it wil not significantly affect your work. Otherwise, just relax (as best you can) and be yourself. If you are open and honest, they should find nothing to fault you on, and you will feel less nervous, because you won't have to calculate how to make a story flow together. Thats just my two cents. :D Good luck and remember that you are always your own toughest critic!

The best advice I got on answering the "weakness" question (in any of its numerous forms) was:

1. Be honest. Don't make up something like "I'm a perfectionist" when you have a 3.5 GPA. If you were truly a perfectionist, wouldn't that be a lot closer to 4.0? Things like this are just obviously fake.

2. Name a weakness that they will like. If you tend to be too meticulous, then that would be a good thing for, say, a research position.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for your replies! It's been a hectic couple of weeks so I finally got around to browsing the board.

Well, I found out that I didn't get the research position. I wasn't really expecting much since it was competitive (70 apps for 8-10 spots), but it sucks nonetheless.

I'm going to be interviewing for the job I really want in a couple of months and I'm already nervous for it. It's to work as an EMT for campus EMS.

The process includes 2 exams and 2 interviews where people are cut at each stage. The exams I can handle (just study), but the interviews are tough: 1 group interview and one formal interview.

I am completely lost on how to handle the group interview - it's with 4-5 other applicants and you respond to different "scenarios." I've heard that you don't want to the pushy one and you also don't want to be the passive one.

Most applicants are 2nd an 3rd years so I think my biggest hurdle is not be to intimidated (I know I am qualified).

I think I will fair well on the formal interview, but only if I get past the group interview.

Anybody have good advice for a group interview?