Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Interview questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mroof1, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. mroof1

    mroof1 DO GONNAB
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    So I have an interview this friday Dec. 5th at school #1 (which is my first choice)
    have interview at school #2 on monday Dec. 15.
    so there is a week in between the two.
    My question: if next week after my interview at school #1 I get the great news of acceptance, is it rude, acceptable, ok or whatever adjective to call school #2 and decline my interview? Is it too close of a time frame to call and cancel? Should I call, email or both? or should I go to both interviews?
    Thanks for any feedback, suggestions and opinions. I just dont want to seem unprofessional.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bamish

    Bamish Tired and old today
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Messages:
    190
    Likes Received:
    0
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    If you get into your first choice then why not cancel the other one. No reason to waste money on a place that you're sure you won't attend. I understand you wanting to maintain a professionalism, but honestly, if your 100% on your first choice, why bother with the other.

    Good luck on the interview(s)! :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chocolate Bear

    Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Messages:
    8,186
    Likes Received:
    11
    Exactly. OP, don't feel rude about saving money, time, and hassle, if you decide you don't need/want to attend a given interview. Spend that time and money celebrating your first choice acceptance!! :D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. engineeredout

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2008
    Messages:
    3,430
    Likes Received:
    595
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    If its not hard to get to school #2, I'd consider going on the interview for at the very least gaining interview experience in case you get other interviews at schools you really want to go to.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bamish

    Bamish Tired and old today
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Messages:
    190
    Likes Received:
    0
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Good point. I suppose if it would be pretty cheap and easy to attend the second interview it might be worth it. But if it would amount to any real sum of money, or even just time that you don't want to invest, I would not bother--as long as you have that acceptance from number 1! :)

    Good luck either way! :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    mroof1

    mroof1 DO GONNAB
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all the responses. I probably will just call and cancel the school #2 interview if and only if I get the acceptance to school #1. It will be a little over 8 hour drive and not time well spent unless the unfortunate news of no acceptances. I guess I was just wondering about the time frame. If it was too close to the school #2 interview to call and cancel. Also, is it more proper to call, email or both? I would probably call but just wondering.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Chocolate Bear

    Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Messages:
    8,186
    Likes Received:
    11
    Email replying back to the interview invite is the most efficient way. If you feel guilty or obligated, go ahead and try to call. A short email is absolutely fine though.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dissected

    Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Messages:
    2,667
    Likes Received:
    37
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    good plan. a call would be best, especially considering the time frame.

    do you really expect to hear back that fast from school #1? the only school i've heard of that is that fast is PNWU...did I just reveal their identity? :eek:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Dissected

    Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Messages:
    2,667
    Likes Received:
    37
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    haha!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. OP
    OP
    mroof1

    mroof1 DO GONNAB
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all the responses.
    I got accepted to PCSOM! I am so excited. I went ahead and emailed school #2 about the declined interview. I was polite and professional. They emailed me back and said sorry to hear that and good luck. They also said, would you mind telling us where you got accepted at? I haven't emailed them back about that. Should I or does it matter?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page