Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

francais7979

french7979
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many questions should we ask the interviewer? What is the avg number of questions we should ask them?

Members don't see this ad.

I really do not think there is a set number. In my interviews, I have basically gone in with 1-2 specific questions that I knew I would ask at the end of the interview. Both of my interviews have been very "conversational" so I also was able to ask the interviewers a couple of questions right in the middle of the interview (I don't know if it helped or hurt the interview, but I got accepted to both schools :D).

Go into the interview with 1-2 questions you know you want answered. But if something pops up in the middle of the interview, I would not be afraid to ask them an honest question about it. The biggest rule is, do whatever it is that the interview calls for and you are comfortable doing. Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely feel it out. I usually have three ready in case I forget one (has happened), or they give short answers. I usually ask two.

There's no magic number. You just want to get them to depart from their routine and have a conversation with you, as well as show that you are interested in the school and paying attention. My questions were nothing amazing, just things to talk about.

My only suggestion is to not ask a question that the answer can be found on their website...meaning look over the schools webiste, click all the links just to see what pops up. If you need something further discussed than what was addressed on the website that is great.

I think that the questions part is very important and you should definitely have some thought out interesting questions to ask. Think of some of the things that REALLY interests you about a school....I personally am interested in traveling and doing some international work/studies...so that was one of my questions. Research involvement, number of volunteer opportunities, asking the interviewers to assess the school's strength/weaknesses, reason for the interviewer to come to the school, and length/quality of board prep are all questions I think are great to address.

ooops...just noticed u asked for the number of questions and not the ACTUAL questions. I think three is always the answer to everything!

My only suggestion is to not ask a question that the answer can be found on their website...meaning look over the schools webiste, click all the links just to see what pops up. If you need something further discussed than what was addressed on the website that is great.

Ditto- don't ask a question just to ask a question. I haven't ever asked any. I don't think it's necessary to plan out questions. People ask that more as a courtesy and as a way to end the interview more smoothly in my opinion. If a question legitimately sparks into your head during the interview due to the particular questions asked and conversation had, then sure, I'd ask it. Otherwise, I've just always responded with a polite no, that the information sessions and students have been extremely helpful and informative.

Ditto- don't ask a question just to ask a question. I haven't ever asked any. I don't think it's necessary to plan out questions. People ask that more as a courtesy and as a way to end the interview more smoothly in my opinion. If a question legitimately sparks into your head during the interview due to the particular questions asked and conversation had, then sure, I'd ask it. Otherwise, I've just always responded with a polite no, that the information sessions and students have been extremely helpful and informative.

Intuatively I agree with what you said, but I have heard a ton of admissions people say that not asking a question raises red flags. Somehow, lack of questions translates into lack of interest. I would usually ask a question asking for the interviewer's oppinion like: How do you like living in ...? or What areas do you feel like this school needs to work on? These are legitamate interesting questions that you can only get answered by your interviewer. They also give you insight into the school.

accept in scripted interviews it is usually safe to ask questions throughout the interview.

Intuatively I agree with what you said, but I have heard a ton of admissions people say that not asking a question raises red flags. Somehow, lack of questions translates into lack of interest. I would usually ask a question asking for the interviewer's oppinion like: How do you like living in ...? or What areas do you feel like this school needs to work on? These are legitamate interesting questions that you can only get answered by your interviewer. They also give you insight into the school.

accept in scripted interviews it is usually safe to ask questions throughout the interview.

True enough. I guess I felt safe in mine because I was confident I had shown genuine interest and excitement for the school by this point. If it's natural, a good question or two can never hurt. It just always felt awkward for me :)

The best question you could ask is, "So, what are you doing after this?"

I went on one interview and this guy literally asked a question every few minutes. Now I can understand the whole ask a question or two thing to look interested, but this was overkill. He wanted to know about the IM soccer practices, how many people were in the weekly gym classes....Grrr....

I agree with the above. It depends. Go with your gut.