Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optoed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your take on how to answer "do you have any questions" at the end of the interview?

It's one chance you get to show your enthusiasm. I could ask really specific questions about the curriculum..but I also read that it's not recommended.
Any tips?

p.s. if anyone else has challenging interview questions, feel free to share and we can get some answers pooled.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hah! So first of all, I truly believe that is the best time to make sure you 'stand out' as an applicant, as well as getting some of your questions answered and getting a better feel for the school and whether or not it's the place for you. Take advantage of it! It'll only help you in the end.

So, for my interview all the questions I 'prepared' (ie things that I was interested) were clinical in nature.
(improving patient compliance, building patient rapport, educating community to take a proactive role in improving their health, etc.) In general, I was interested in possibly dual-ing in DO/MPh, so a lot of my questions had to do with that path.
Lo and behold I was interviewed by a faculty member (PhD) and the director of admissions neither of whom would be able to answer my questions from personal experience. I still asked a bunch of them and we had a really nice conversation about the future of healthcare and the changing role/expectations of physicians.
So...keep some questions in mind when you go in but make sure you'll have something to say regardless of who does the interviewing (faculty, administration, student...)
Good luck!

awesome!! thanks for the fast response Scrubbedup. =)

Hah! So first of all, I truly believe that is the best time to make sure you 'stand out' as an applicant, as well as getting some of your questions answered and getting a better feel for the school and whether or not it's the place for you. Take advantage of it! It'll only help you in the end.

So, for my interview all the questions I 'prepared' (ie things that I was interested) were clinical in nature.
(improving patient compliance, building patient rapport, educating community to take a proactive role in improving their health, etc.) In general, I was interested in possibly dual-ing in DO/MPh, so a lot of my questions had to do with that path.
Lo and behold I was interviewed by a faculty member (PhD) and the director of admissions neither of whom would be able to answer my questions from personal experience. I still asked a bunch of them and we had a really nice conversation about the future of healthcare and the changing role/expectations of physicians.
So...keep some questions in mind when you go in but make sure you'll have something to say regardless of who does the interviewing (faculty, administration, student...)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In case you are faced with really stone-faced interviewers, or you're the last one on the list before they head home. Does anyone know a good joke to break the ice/show your sense of humor/wake them up?

thanks =)

In case you are faced with really stone-faced interviewers, or you're the last one on the list before they head home. Does anyone know a good joke to break the ice/show your sense of humor/wake them up?

thanks =)

Jokes are risky in an interview. They are rarely useful and often backfire. Don't volunteer unless the interviewer specifically asks you to tell a joke.

lol, I can imagine an interviewer saying "tell me your best joke", while holding a pen and starting at you intently.

Your admission depends on how good your joke is. Remember, it's all about the delivery!

lol, I can imagine an interviewer saying "tell me your best joke", while holding a pen and starting at you intently.

Your admission depends on how good your joke is. Remember, it's all about the delivery!

I PCOM-GA requires a unique 'yo momma' joke for admission. :D

I heard about that.

I also hear they require a LOR from a reputable comedian.
:thumbup:
disclaimer: not trying to say anything about PCOM-GA with that statement.It was just the first school that came to mind! :love:

Seriously though, you're in a professional environment, so I don't think 'a joke' would be very appropriate. Some interviews may end up more laid back than others, though, so just go with the flow. Nut don't forget they are looking to fill their class with people who (in addition to all the academics) know how to act in a professional manner in a variety of tough situations.

I have only interviewed at two schools. One time I asked the interviewer pretty directly what my chances were of being accepted and although I got a brush off answer, I was accepted :D. The second time I asked the interviewer a pretty detailed question about the curriculum and if she could explain why she thinks her school is better then my other acceptance (worded very gently). I was also accepted.

I think you just need to show genuine interest in the school and that is your opportunity to do so.

I also think that you should keep the strength of your application in mind as that really should dictate how you should handle that part of the interview.

Similar to AACmd I asked a question about why I should pick their school over any other. It was worded gently, and I really think it worked out well. One of the interviewers actually looked at the other and said "excellent question" under her breath.

I think I said something along the lines of: "I developed my own set of reasons for wanting to attend this school above the others, but would each of you mind sharing a few of your reasons why you think I should attend here if I'm accepted?"

I asked one school about a program that I had read about on their website the night before I interviewed. Turns out my interviewer was the head of that program, really proud of it, and eager to tell me all about it. His face lit up when I asked the question haha.

At another interview I asked them why their school was so expensive. Really, it was 30% more expensive than any other school I was considering and I asked them what would be the tangible differences I would see for the extra money. Haha mind you I only had the guts to ask this question after I had an acceptance in-hand from somewhere else. Still, they didn't know how to answer the question. ...Ended up giving me some BS about how higher paid teachers are "happier" and "teach better." :thumbdown: I didn't get in haha.

Always have a question. Even if it's something someone has already answered prior to your interview or if it's something you can easily find out about the school. Having something to ask shows interest and is also "part of the game". I know people who will say "Well, why do I have to ask a question when I don't want to or don't have any? It shouldn't be a big deal." Well...although somewhat true, you don't want to jeopardize your chances, so just put down your ego and ask a question, just make sure it's not stupid lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar to AACmd I asked a question about why I should pick their school over any other. It was worded gently, and I really think it worked out well. One of the interviewers actually looked at the other and said "excellent question" under her breath.

I think I said something along the lines of: "I developed my own set of reasons for wanting to attend this school above the others, but would each of you mind sharing a few of your reasons why you think I should attend here if I'm accepted?"

Perfect, that's exactly what I need. thanks so much for the response!!

I'll start a staring contest with the interviewer =), lol

How about the question:

"have you ever broken a rule in order to achieve a good outcome?"

any idea? =)

Thanks guys for the replies!!

Here's one more question I have:

"As a physician, which is more important - intellectual abilities or compassion?"

I would say definitely compassion, especially given that DOs are provide more holistic and patient centered care. I can't really elaborate further though....any advise/more specific examples?

Thanks guys for the replies!!

Here's one more question I have:

"As a physician, which is more important - intellectual abilities or compassion?"

I would say definitely compassion, especially given that DOs are provide more holistic and patient centered care. I can't really elaborate further though....any advise/more specific examples?

I would say intellectual abilities. I'd prefer to have Dr. House treat me than say... the doctor from Hawthorne. I'm pretty sure that's self-explanatory, but basically... I'd rather receive the right diagnosis and treatment and leave the hospital healthy than be given a lollipop and have someone holding my hand when they have no idea what's wrong with me. :rolleyes:

I would say intellectual abilities. I'd prefer to have Dr. House treat me than say... the doctor from Hawthorne. I'm pretty sure that's self-explanatory, but basically... I'd rather receive the right diagnosis and treatment and leave the hospital healthy than be given a lollipop and have someone holding my hand when they have no idea what's wrong with me. :rolleyes:

One of my professors, (and an allopathic general surgeon) told us that in his mind, medicine is 20% brains, 80% personality.

Sure it's a lot to know, but most of it isn't exactly rocket science when it comes right down to it.

That and all the brains in the world won't get you anywhere if you alienate and insult every patient you try to treat.

I think compassion/personality are more important qualities in a good physician than raw intellectual capacity.

That's an oldie. Empathy and intelligence don't have to be mutually exclusive qualities, although that seems to be the case with some people (like Josef Mengele).

One of my professors, (and an allopathic general surgeon) told us that in his mind, medicine is 20% brains, 80% personality.

Sure it's a lot to know, but most of it isn't exactly rocket science when it comes right down to it.

That and all the brains in the world won't get you anywhere if you alienate and insult every patient you try to treat.

I think compassion/personality are more important qualities in a good physician than raw intellectual capacity.

I suppose, but I guess that depends on what illness you have. You don't need a rocket scientist for a textbook case of treating a cold. But if you have an illness couldn't be figured out, I'd say screw the niceties and just figure out what it is.

I guess in my head, part of being "all brains" is actually knowing that you have to be compassionate. So I'm automatically integrating compassion as being a "anyone with an intellect would know that they should be compassionate" kinda thing.

This is a good controversial topic, lol.

One of my professors, (and an allopathic general surgeon) told us that in his mind, medicine is 20% brains, 80% personality. Sure it's a lot to know, but most of it isn't exactly rocket science when it comes right down to it. That and all the brains in the world won't get you anywhere if you alienate and insult every patient you try to treat.

It costs nothing to be nice to people. Plus, it can save you a lot of lawsuits.

"A person who is nice to you but is not nice to the waiter is not a nice person. Manners cost nothing"

You guys are super awesome for the fast response.

I like how Iliketoytles put it. Just gonna just the 20-80 rule for the sake of simplicity. For about 80% of the common disease, compassion > intellectual ability. For the other 20% of the cases that are hard to crack, intellectual ability > compassion. There =)

Thanks so much for your responses again!!!