Interview Rescheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jak_17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just received an interview to my dream school and I am ecstatic! Unfortunately, the date they gave me coincides with a big trip I was going to go on with my dad. After much debate, I have decided I am going to cancel my trip, as this interview is obviously my absolute priority.

Out of curiosity though, what is the general consensus on asking schools for a reschedule? I am assuming each school is different, but I see asking to reschedule as a sort of red flag, especially for schools that give you a set date for your interview. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes a date doesn't work, its not a big deal to try and reschedule.

Do what you have to do. But be cautious. You can't really gauge how they perceive things. I'd like to think they're all reasonable and understanding. But I'm sure there are those who want you to show this is your absolute priority. I think it gets suspicious when it becomes clear someone is pushing backup schools post-Dec. I missed my brother's wedding for an interview. I didn't like the tone when I started hinting at later dates. So I wasn't going to go down that road and give them an easy out (reason to bypass me), but I made sure my interviewers were aware on interview day. Temple also told me they give short notice on purpose. In Brian's words, "If they really want it, they'll make it happen."

I know I don't know all the circumstances, but in general, I never understand why anyone plans trips and vacations during their application cycle. Especially those who take international summer trips. It's a good way to have issues with letters, transcripts, and secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools make a note of it, while others don't. However, if no closer date is available, you might get screwed over and get an interview date further than what is ideal. Just cancel the trip. If it is your "dream school" then you need to be willing to make sacrifices for your dream.