Interview scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mad Dog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of you who just went through interviewing can give me the heads up--- how late into January did your interviews go for Gen Surg?

I really want to schedule a fourth year elective for next year that would start on Jan 12. If I have all of December and the first 10 days or so of January to interview, is this enough time? Or should I scrap my elective so I have all of January?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

My latest interview was January 22, but I could have done it in November or December. I guess it depends on how strong of an applicant you are and how many interview offers you get. The better the applicant, the earlier the offer, and the more choices of dates on which to interview. Having said that, I think you will be fine doing an elective in January. I know my school allows us to take a few days during rotations to go on interviews and/or second looks.

I did half of my interviews in Nov/Dec and half in January. I would have been hard pressed to do a rotation that month since I was only home for two days until the 3rd week of the month. I found that almost every place offered the same days in December for interviews and they became more flexible once january began. Again, it is a crap shoot, but if you are doing double digit interviews I would look at the schedules for the places ahead of time either on line or calling the secretary.

Good luck next year. I had a blast the last couple of months.

I interviewed at 11 places and scheduled them from the 2nd half of December to the end of January. Last one was at UNC on the 31st. That worked best for my schedule. I signed up for a research elective that was not too demanding, so did not have to burn a hard earned vacation month on interviews.