Nov 2, 2010
141
9
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a few interviews right now, but still waiting on two schools (my top 2 choices incidentally). My interview sched is PACKED for the next month and those two schools don't offer what dates they interview on. I'm thinking I should call their office and ask about their interview dates so I can plan out my interview schedule better.

My question is, if their date happens to fall on another school's date that I already confirmed, what should I do? I feel it's bad etiquette to cancel once I confirmed, because science is a small world and rubbing them the wrong way now...well...I'd like not to. Plus it reflects poorly on my ability to plan.

On the other hand...this is a one time thing and a chance to interview with my dream school is important. BUT on the other OTHER hand I may not even get an interview from that school/accepted. Tough choices... I also don't think saying no to interviews is wise when I have 0 acceptances because you never know. Same goes for turning down interviews...I read some past threads about people doing that and it seems crazy especially how hard it is to get an interview in the first place. I am running scenarios in my head but feel like I'm going in circles so I'd appreciate some input guys...thanks. WWYD?
 

KPCOFGS

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2009
213
0
I'm withdrawing from a school less than a week before my interview... because I realized there's really no reason for me to interview there at this point. I hope that doesn't mean I'm burning a bridge. Schools must understand that it's almost impossible to anticipate when our circumstances will change.
 
OP
SilverBvllet
Nov 2, 2010
141
9
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm withdrawing from a school less than a week before my interview... because I realized there's really no reason for me to interview there at this point. I hope that doesn't mean I'm burning a bridge. Schools must understand that it's almost impossible to anticipate when our circumstances will change.
When you say no reason for you to interview there does that mean you have an acceptance from a different school?
 

KPCOFGS

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2009
213
0
Unfortunately, no. But to be brief, this was an MD only interview and it wasn't worth the $500 to interview for a program that isn't actually what I want anyway. And I think I have a reasonably good chance of an acceptance from MD/PhD this cycle. (knock on wood)

But the point I was trying to make for you is that if it's your top choice you should go for it, schools aren't going to file away that you withdrew your application until you apply for residency or something like that. They go through way too many applicants to care about something so minor.
 
OP
SilverBvllet
Nov 2, 2010
141
9
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah that's a good point. I'm going to play it safe for now and then if there is a conflict I will have to reschedule or just withdraw. Thanks for talking through this with me mate. Good luck with your interviews.
 

Almonds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
10
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I definitely think you should call the schools and find our their interview schedules. Top choice is top choice, and you shouldn't pass on your dream opportunities in order not to step on someone elses feet. You can't always make everyone happy, especially when it comes at the expense of your own happiness.

Unfortunately, no. But to be brief, this was an MD only interview and it wasn't worth the $500 to interview for a program that isn't actually what I want anyway. And I think I have a reasonably good chance of an acceptance from MD/PhD this cycle. (knock on wood)
Btw - if this was Harvard, I did the same thing. Didn't want MD-only and got great interviews from mstp programs + 1 acceptance (received 3 days before my scheduled Harvard interview)...