interview season and time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorlarry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow sdn'ers,

What months comprise the interview season for neurology? Nov. and Dec.? Also, do most applicants take time off for interviews, or do they continue to do electives? Please advise. Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

doctorlarry said:
Hello fellow sdn'ers,

What months comprise the interview season for neurology? Nov. and Dec.? Also, do most applicants take time off for interviews, or do they continue to do electives? Please advise. Thank you very much for your time.

I dunno what most people do. I took off from Nov 15 to Jan 1. It seemed to work. I interviewed at my home program and another close one outside of this time, but all my traveling was in this month and a half.

I was not able to take vacations during interview season, and had to beg for time off during a demanding rotation in order to interview. While this made life more stressful (interviews became my only "days off" one month; I was given extra days off during other months), it was certainly feasible. If you know the electives you're planning during that time, try feeling out how strict the attendings/fellows/residents are about students missing days. Unless your rotation or institution is really malignant, you'll find that attendings and residents are very understanding, and will want to hear some tales from the interview trail.

My interviews were evenly spread out between mid-Nov and mid-Jan. Virtually no one interviews between 12/24 and 1/1, but I did interview on 12/23 and 1/3. I applied a little late, so I was interviewing until 5 days before rank lists were due!

All in all, Neuro interviews are largely a fun, getting-to-know-you process. While scheduling and expenses are a pain, getting wined and dined all over the country is fun, no matter how you slice it. Be thankful you're not applying to a specialty where these trips are impersonal and perk-free. :D

When do you guys recommend to interview at your own school??