Interview-significant other already accepted there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trizi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what any of you think about mentioning that
your girlfriend or boyfriend will be attending the school you are interviewing at. I can see getting a positive response in that you will have a support system and all that crap, but on the other hand, they may question whether you really want to attend their school or be near your significant other. Just wanted some opinions on this issue... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definately mention it if it's a long term/permanent thing.

Tell them!
If you guys are going together some medical schools will look at you both. I have seen some couples interviewing together and the adcoms seem to want to keep people together. If he already attends that school then you should still mention him, but also talk about how much you like the school. If he already is a student, or if you both really want to go to that school they will know you prob. want to go there and will most likely accept you. Some schools are good about keeping couples together, because they understand while others are not. What school is it maybe I can help more? Good luck and hope you get in if you really like the school!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
i had that situation last year when i interviewed (separately) a couple for my residency program. the first interviewee didn't mention anything about his S.O. the second interviewee a few weeks later mentioned her S.O. frequently -- it was actually a turn off for me during the interview because i felt that SHE felt a need to have something else other than her own (very capable) legs to stand on. they both were ranked, but our committee felt the first person should be ranked higher, and came to our program. the S.O. went to another program here in the city, and it's been no problem.

a similar thing happened when i was on my medschool adcom...and we opted to not make special concessions for the couple because the partner's application wasn't up to snuff and her interview wasn't that great.

i would mention it only if 1. you think it's going to be a very long term relationship, and 2. your application, interview and personal statement can stand on their own merits, and not ride on your S.O.s coattails. Unfortunately for some, med schools really don't do a couples match like residencies do.

I would mention it only if the interviewer brings it up. For example, last year my boyfriend and I were interviewing at some of the same medical schools. He was even already into one of them when I interviewed. The interviewers usually want to ask a little about your personal life, so I got questions such as are you engaged. Then, I'd say well I've been dating someone for 2.5 yrs. Then they would ask what he thought about medical school or they would ask what he was doing. Then it is appropriate to explain what is going on. I would never make it sound like, well if my boyfriend and i don't go to the same school, I'll just die, or whatever. One interviewer asked me what I would do if we wanted to go to separate schools, if I would go to the one he was going to. I think she was testing whether I was too dependent on my boyfriend there. So you had better be careful about how you do things.

Of course, I think it is different if you are married, I'm just going by people still at the dating phase.

I say definitely mention it. My boyfriend and I both mentioned at our interviews that we were applying together and hoped to get into the same school. I wasn't sure what to expect, but all the responses we got were positive. They all thought it was so wonderful, blah, blah, blah. Although I will never be sure, I think it worked to our benefit that we brought it up. My bf had interviewed at a school a couple weeks before me and was waitlisted at the time of my interview. Then I went to my interview and was lucky to have an interviewer who had married and had kids during med school so was very supportive and understanding of my situation. We actually spent about 15 minutes just talking about relationships during med school. Anyway, I was accepted a few days after my interview and my bf coincindently was accepted off the waitlist a few days after that (this was back in Nov. mind you when waitlists traditionally don't move much, so I think it may have had something to do with our situation). The way I see it, you have nothing to lose. Hope everything works out for you guys.