Interview Style for men: Brown shoes vs black

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ur2l8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can't find the style subthread that was up last year.

Anyway, interview coming up within the month.

I currently have a blue/grey suit, pretty much a mix of both.

1st world problem dilemma: brown or black shoes (and respective matching color belt)?

I currently have the black shoes and black belt. The tailor told me it would look better with brown, then again, she thought I was getting the suit tailored to "go out on the town."

Any foreseeable problems w/ the black shoes and black belt?
I'll be wearing a light blue shirt with an off white/slightly darker blue tie.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think with all of the blue going on, you should stick with the black, I think it will blend in with the colors better than brown would.
Though I'm just speaking from personal opinion, and have never actually gone through this interview process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

With a blue or grey suit, brown shoes are more stylish than black. Brown would look better to me. I agree with the tailor.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can really never go wrong with a pair of black cap-toe oxfords. I wouldn't go any less formal than something like a pair of burgundy brogues. JMO though.

I think brown shoes look better with a blue/grey suit, but I don't think black would look bad per se.

I had a grey suit and went with brown shoes/brown belt. Didn't see very many other interviewees with brown shoes but the tailor recommended the combo and I thought it looked pretty good.

grey-black
blue-brown

Depends on the shades though. Don't pick a weird brown color

Black is the de facto choice for formal interviews.

Cap-Toe oxfords such as the Allen Edmond Park Avenues are the go-to choices.

I have a navy blue suit with a slight grey tint and I am going with a black belt/shoes.

Ditto. Brown can be wrong, black never is. And since you already have black, why mess with it?

Okay, awesome. Appreciate the help. Just going to go with traditional black.

As I heard someone say:

Brown for getting a date
Black for getting the job

Thanks everyone!

Why did you tell the tailor it was for going out on the town? :confused:

Do you mean blue/grey as in your pants & blazer don't match, or that the suit is a mix of blue & grey fibers? Brown shoes do go well with a navy suit, but I am not sure that I'd recommend them for anything else.

Hey can't find the style subthread that was up last year.

Anyway, interview coming up within the month.

I currently have a blue/grey suit, pretty much a mix of both.

1st world problem dilemma: brown or black shoes (and respective matching color belt)?

I currently have the black shoes and black belt. The tailor told me it would look better with brown, then again, she thought I was getting the suit tailored to "go out on the town."

Any foreseeable problems w/ the black shoes and black belt?
I'll be wearing a light blue shirt with an off white/slightly darker blue tie.

Thanks.

Black.

Black is safe and goes just fine with blue/gray. Black is a very professional color. Brown is tricky because there are different shades, etc. When I have questions like these sometimes I just google image or youtube images of lawyers and investment bankers since they usually have the most strict dress codes formally and informally.

Last edited: